Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you keep Firearms in your home?
Yes 28 46.67%
No 32 53.33%
Voters: 60. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:45 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,704,063 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
I am sure burglars look above the ceiling tiles for guns.
I would think most home burglars are trying to make a quick grab for jewelry, electronics and cash. I doubt they are looking at ceiling tiles for guns.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 11:47 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,297,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
I guess telling the burglar..STOP, I have the police on the phone is better?
What's wrong with the professionals?

At least the burglar would know he didn't have much time to get away.

Let's face it, most of us DON'T have a whole ton of money in a safe or lots of expensive jewelry or other things burglars would KILL to get.

As for home invasions, 99.9% of the time they are for a reason. The reason is the occupants of the home invaded are selling drugs. The other fraction of home invasions are from dishonest people who go after their bosses or mistaken identity.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:49 AM

Quote:
I would think most home burglars are trying to make a quick grab for jewelry, electronics and cash. I doubt they are looking at ceiling tiles for guns.
Well now that I read this thread, if I become a burglar, I will be looking in the ceiling tiles for guns, just like I will look in the freezer and in the toilet tank for jewelry and drugs.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:53 AM

I would agree that most home invasions on Long Island seem not to be random acts.

However, they do happen. Best to be prepared to defend yourself than rely on the timely response of the police department.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:59 AM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
I would agree that most home invasions on Long Island seem not to be random acts.

However, they do happen. Best to be prepared to defend yourself than rely on the timely response of the police department.
are there any stats out there on how often homeowners are successfully able to ward off home invaders with a gun? For some reason, you don't see many stories about that particular scenario taking place.

Seems like a good alarm and a big dog would be more effective if you feel like your home might be a target.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM

You will never see those stories in the NY media.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:02 PM

Quote:

The problem is, the best type of guns to defend yourself with, handguns that can be kept nearby and are not big and clumsy, are inaccessible to most law-abiding citizens. Shotguns and rifles, which we can buy easily enough, are not practical for the most part when you are surprised by intruders. If I get an illegal handgun and shoot an intruder with it, then I am looking at criminal charges too. I can't have that due to professional reasons, although I am sure many couldn't care less if they themselves get arrested and have felonies on their records. I am not the type of person that will attract home invaders, so I will just do without a macho gun. Life isn't like the movies, y'all, with effortless and perfect shootouts. To the contrary, it takes a lot of practice and effort to be able to handle a gun properly and I am sure most people who have them for "protection" couldn't shoot their way out of a paper bag and will end up with a broken wrist and the gun turned in their face by the intruder.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:03 PM

Quote:
We are not allowed to have handguns for the most part, so why should we see it in the NY media?

Try the media in places like Texas or Florida.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:05 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
oooooh....how cryptic! lol...

Call me crazy, but I think a story like that might sell a few papers.

Old 12-14-2009, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
We are not allowed to have handguns for the most part, so why should we see it in the NY media?

Try the media in places like Texas or Florida.
You are allowed to have handguns in NY for target and home defense. It can not be denied you if you do not have a criminal record.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island