Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2010, 05:37 PM

414 posts, read 911,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by house.searcher View Post
Hi, does anyone know if it's okay to send in the "employer reference" copy of the W-2 for the tax return to get this credit? My employer said the normal W-2 (with the different parts for federal, state, and my own copy) got destroyed in the mail and all that's left is the "from" address and a stamp. The HR lady won't re-issue another W-2 and said the employer reference copy will be good.
Well, your W-2 form has NOTHING to do with the FTHB Credit...but, to answer your question...as long as the W-2 that you attach to your return shows your wages and withholding you won't have a problem filing your return. But again, the W-2 has nothing to do with the credit. You'll need to include documentation as required per Form 5405 to claim the FTHB Credit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 06:31 PM

62 posts, read 255,265 times
Thanks SadieLu. I should have clarified ... if I were doing e-file, then I wouldn't have to mail in the forms and a W-2, but since the FTHB credit requires form 5405 & the HUD-1, I'd also have to send in the 1040 and W-2 forms. I was concerned that the W-2 wasn't the normal looking one. But anywho, thank you for the clarification on the W-2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SadieLu View Post
Well, your W-2 form has NOTHING to do with the FTHB Credit...but, to answer your question...as long as the W-2 that you attach to your return shows your wages and withholding you won't have a problem filing your return. But again, the W-2 has nothing to do with the credit. You'll need to include documentation as required per Form 5405 to claim the FTHB Credit.

Old 01-25-2010, 09:37 AM

2 posts, read 6,614 times
Hi again everyone!!!
I just wanted you all to know that I got another letter from the IRS this morning, certified, and basically it means that I am back to square one, and have to start the process all over. I mentioned that i have sent them 3 packages, and as of this morning I am leaving everything in the hands of my accountant, who told me he is baffled by the letter that we received. The responses have been coming from Fresno and Massachusetts. I don't have any other way to prove I am the owner of the house, I have sent everything, and still the wait goes on. I sometimes feel like it is not worth the hassle anymore, and that once again, the government has lied to me, but my CPA tells me that south Florida is one of the worst places where people tried to lie about buying a house to get the money. I am an honest person who worked all my life to finally own a home, and the first time hombuyers credit was the incentive, but I have to admit that I feel like it was not true. I just want you all to know not to start planning ways to spend that money. This is an exercise in patience and trying to stay calm....so I start all over again.....month 6 and counting.

Old 02-04-2010, 06:04 AM

1 posts, read 1,894 times
Greetings! I bought my house in October 6, 2009. I sent the ammend to my 2008 taxes and I am still waiting. They received my papers on October 9, 2009. I called every other week and they continued changing the waiting weeks to received a response. No letters or requests from them. Now they told me that the paperwork is at the Examination Office. What that means?

Old 04-26-2010, 09:02 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,337,188 times
Just an update.... I received my tax return today (it included the 8K first time home buyers) ... I filed it on or about the 10th of March, they said it will take about 6 weeks.... and it sure did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island