Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-13-2009, 04:04 PM

7 posts, read 19,192 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Bay Shore, Long Island with my fiance, daughter and one on the way. The home is on Bay Shore Rd, so as far as access to the Southern State Parkway and LIRR, it's very convenient. However, the home is right on Bay Shore Rd and I understand it's a busy road. Coming from NYC it won't be the end of the world, but does anyone have any advice on reducing traffic noise. The home has a pretty decent lot, most of it stretches to the side of the house, so I need to immediately build a fence that would provide some privacy. I read that a fence can only be four feet when placed in front of the house. Can anyone please explain this to me. Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2009, 09:43 PM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LookingForQuality View Post
Hi Everyone,

I am planning on moving to Bay Shore, Long Island with my fiance, daughter and one on the way. The home is on Bay Shore Rd, so as far as access to the Southern State Parkway and LIRR, it's very convenient. However, the home is right on Bay Shore Rd and I understand it's a busy road. Coming from NYC it won't be the end of the world, but does anyone have any advice on reducing traffic noise. The home has a pretty decent lot, most of it stretches to the side of the house, so I need to immediately build a fence that would provide some privacy. I read that a fence can only be four feet when placed in front of the house. Can anyone please explain this to me. Thank you.
First you need to contact the Town of Islip about its regulations as Bayshore is a hamlet inside Islip.

Second, while you can do whatever is legal, imagine if everyone in the neighborhood put a FOUR FOOT tall fence IN FRONT OF THE HOUSE like you say. People move to the suburbs to see a little bit of green lawn and gardens, not 4' fences going up and down the block. Might as well live in the city otherwise IMHO.

There are several ways you can reduce traffic noise. One of the best ways is to plant bushes or a thick hedge. If you can raise the level of the ground under them by several feet to create a mound it will be even better. Trees near the street will also help. Also fencing the yard will help with the noise a little but more importantly also create visual privacy.

Old 12-14-2009, 03:29 AM

13 posts, read 45,355 times
In the TOI you are permitted a 6' fence(as long as it isn't blocking traffic vision)but previous poster is correct....it looks like F-Troop and it also causes an attraction for vandalism.I grew up on Joselson and trust me....even in the '60's we'd vandalize it. A raised berm with hemlocks or privet hedges would be more aesthetically appealing.Also.....corner houses attract garbage,cigarette butts,teens and tire squealing.

Old 12-14-2009, 11:14 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,680,436 times
LookingForQuality, in another thread, you mention that the house on the corner property is in Brightwaters.

The Village of Brightwaters has a different border than does the "Brightwaters, NY 11718" ZIP Code postal zone (i.e., a place can have a "Brightwaters, NY 11718" mailing address and not be in the Village of Brightwaters and a place can have other than a "Brightwaters, NY 11718" mailing address and be in the Village of Brightwaters): places that have a "Brightwaters, NY 11718" mailing address that are not in the Village of Brightwaters are in the Hamlet of Bay Shore; and, at the same time, there are places in the Village of Brightwaters with a "Bay Shore, NY 11706" mailing address.

Thus, if the property is in the Village of Brightwaters ("Bay Shore, NY 11706" mailing address), then the village may have a fence height ordinance that differs from the Town of Islip's fence height ordinance.

But, if the property is in the Hamlet of Bay Shore ("Brightwaters, NY 11718" mailing address), then the controlling authority is the Town of Islip.

Also, bear in mind, some municipalities also have height restrictions on shrubbery used in lieu of a fence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island