Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:29 PM

339 posts, read 933,534 times

Advertisements

Going away in a few weeks for about 4-5 days. Usually I get my brother to drop me off at the airport but he's going to be out of town and all my other friends are unable to drop me off at JFK for assorted reasons.

I checked Winston shuttle and they want something like $130 round trip plus gratuity for the service. I guess my other options are park my car at JFK or one of those other parking facilities near there (which I've never done). I'm also a little concerned how safe my car is at those places and I just bought a new car.

Someone also told me I can take the train from Ronkonkoma and transfer to a tram(?) that goes to JFK. I had no idea about this option. Does anyone know where exactly I would transfer? Also, is it safe (or even allowed) to park a car at the Ronk train station for a few days?

Thanks for any tips and advice.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-14-2009, 01:31 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jf2737 View Post
Going away in a few weeks for about 4-5 days. Usually I get my brother to drop me off at the airport but he's going to be out of town and all my other friends are unable to drop me off at JFK for assorted reasons.

I checked Winston shuttle and they want something like $130 round trip plus gratuity for the service. I guess my other options are park my car at JFK or one of those other parking facilities near there (which I've never done). I'm also a little concerned how safe my car is at those places and I just bought a new car.

Someone also told me I can take the train from Ronkonkoma and transfer to a tram(?) that goes to JFK. I had no idea about this option. Does anyone know where exactly I would transfer? Also, is it safe (or even allowed) to park a car at the Ronk train station for a few days?

You can take the train to Jamaica and transfer there to the Air Train which will take you to JFK.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:32 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,376,224 times
Quote:

Not sure about parking @ Ronkonkoma as I'm a Nassau girl, but yes there is the airtran, which you can get at jamaica. I'm not exactly sure where, but there are probably signs or you can ask someone when you get there...but yeah, just take the train to Jamaica and get off there. Airtran runs from Jamaica station to JFK.

Old 12-14-2009, 01:49 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You can take the train to Jamaica and transfer there to the Air Train which will take you to JFK.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Not sure about parking @ Ronkonkoma as I'm a Nassau girl, but yes there is the airtran, which you can get at jamaica. I'm not exactly sure where, but there are probably signs or you can ask someone when you get there...but yeah, just take the train to Jamaica and get off there. Airtran runs from Jamaica station to JFK.
Ok, agree with the posts above.... you get out at Jamaica and take the escalator up and then take the Air Tran to JFK from there. I think it costs you $5 for it.....

Warning: How many bags/suitcases are you taking with you ? If its more than one per passenger, this will be tough if traveling peak time going towards JFK or coming back from there on the return trip.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:18 PM

339 posts, read 933,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Ok, agree with the posts above.... you get out at Jamaica and take the escalator up and then take the Air Tran to JFK from there. I think it costs you $5 for it.....

Warning: How many bags/suitcases are you taking with you ? If its more than one per passenger, this will be tough if traveling peak time going towards JFK or coming back from there on the return trip.
It would be just me and I travel light, just one carry on size bag able to fit in the compartments on the airplane. My flight would leave JFK around 9 AM.

Old 12-14-2009, 02:24 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,335,822 times
Quote:
It would be just me and I travel light, just one carry on size bag able to fit in the compartments on the airplane. My flight would leave JFK around 9 AM.
Then check the Air-tran timings from JFK (it should be 24/7 but you never know) and if you have them operating at that time then I highly recommend that you do the "Ronkonkoma - Jamaica - Airtran to JFK" thing....
I have done it 5-6 times in the past and its awesome....

Old 12-14-2009, 08:45 PM

27 posts, read 179,700 times
the signs for the Airtrain are extremely easy to see & if you are traveling light, it is your best bet.

Old 12-14-2009, 08:59 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,142,695 times
Call a few of the limo companies.You can look in the local pennysaver/yankee trader publications because they occasionally run specials.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:02 AM

99 posts, read 272,685 times
The airtrain is awesome I take it all the time. You can take Ronkonkoma to Jamaica and then jump on there. It gets there in like 10 minutes straight to your terminal. The longest possible time you can wait for an air-train is 10 minutes. At that time, there will be one coming every 2 minutes. If you cant get a ride to Ronkonkoma you can park in the garage for $4 a day which beats the $20 JFK charges.

Old 12-15-2009, 12:04 AM

99 posts, read 272,685 times
Also you can park at Ronkonkoma in the lot, but make sure you do not have any valuables in there or a very nice car because there is a lot of car break-ins there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: