Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2009, 10:33 AM

10 posts, read 84,512 times

Advertisements

Toh.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2009, 10:42 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,612,341 times
ToH -- Town of Hempstead
or
ToH -- Town of Huntington

Old 12-15-2009, 10:53 AM

3,351 posts, read 9,735,105 times
I am a little confused here. Why would your mortgage company be concerned about a missing deck CO, but not be concerned that there is no CO on the house itself.

It sounds to me like there is probably a "Letter-in-Lieu" or "Certificate of Existing Use" on file with the town. These are issued for homes that were built before building codes went into effect. Different towns call them different things.

As for the garage, save yourself the future headache and get the CO.

Old 12-15-2009, 11:10 AM

LOL sorry Town of Hempstead.

I'm really not sure y they weren't concerned with the House. I went to the town about getting the deck co and they said they had no record of the house on file. If there was paper work I must have recieved a copy when I purchased the house. I will look. I don't remember ever seeing anything. This would not be a problem had someone explained this when I bought the house. I would have made sure it was all taken care of. Real Estate is a very crooked and unethical business. From the Lawyers to the Agents.

Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 PM

294 posts, read 877,104 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJoshua398 View Post
LOL sorry Town of Hempstead.

I'm really not sure y they weren't concerned with the House. I went to the town about getting the deck co and they said they had no record of the house on file. If there was paper work I must have recieved a copy when I purchased the house. I will look. I don't remember ever seeing anything. This would not be a problem had someone explained this when I bought the house. I would have made sure it was all taken care of. Real Estate is a very crooked and unethical business. From the Lawyers to the Agents.
Sounds as if the title company and your closing attorney messed up on the missing CO. This is why you pay for title insurance. Pull your file and see what paperwork you do have, then call the attorney you used to close on the house.

Old 12-15-2009, 03:40 PM

Just went through the paper work. No letter but the title report says, "no record on file" "house is 1925 no records kept untill 1936".

Anyone have a decent contractor in Seaford area that won't screw me over? I might as well get an estimate while I staighten this stuff out.

Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM

4 posts, read 33,204 times
My experience with not getting permits is it can be DISASTROUS and horribly expensive . Also make sure Ur contractor actually takes them out ! Many say they did and try to get by without them ... and the homeowner is stuck with the problem afterwards . VERY hard to rectify / explain /undo without REALLY pissing off the construction department .. which means beaucoup bux in delays and excess fees and unsuccessful inspections ...

Old 09-20-2011, 11:30 AM

1,609 posts, read 4,675,242 times
When you pay for and buy a house you and the Town are the new owners and the town has a say in every thing you do to your property.Sucks don't it ??

Old 09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,401,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by qlty View Post
When you pay for and buy a house you and the Town are the new owners and the town has a say in every thing you do to your property.Sucks don't it ??
This is true. You and the town 'co-own' your house. Whatever you do, do it the right way. You'll be glad you did when the time comes to sell.

Old 09-20-2011, 12:22 PM

13,036 posts, read 17,976,354 times
If I were you, I would block my phone number and call and ask a "hypothetical" question of the building dept. people. I would tell them the history of the house which there is no record including the info from the title company and then ask if I need anything if I wanted to sell it. (Again, not that you want to sell but looking for what they could potentially nab you on if you want to put up that garage.) I am afraid that once you file the application for the permit you may be opening a can of worms that you might want to avoid. That is how they get you here in TONH.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island