Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2009, 11:54 AM

40 posts, read 96,554 times

Advertisements

i am from michigan and am looking to invest in the real estate market since it is down and was looking in long island. i looked in the following towns and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me advice regarding these towns. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

1.Wading river
2. Riverhead
3. Shoreham
4. Rocky point
5. Miller place
6. Ridge
7. Middle Island
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2009, 12:03 PM

2,942 posts, read 6,005,152 times
Walter Greenspan is great with demographics.

Old 12-16-2009, 12:11 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackHawksfan102 View Post
i am from michigan and am looking to invest in the real estate market since it is down and was looking in long island. i looked in the following towns and was wondering if anyone would be able to give me advice regarding these towns. any advice would be greatly appreciated. thanks.

1.Wading river
2. Riverhead
3. Shoreham
4. Rocky point
5. Miller place
6. Ridge
7. Middle Island
Are looking to move or is this just an investment?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:12 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Invest as in move here, or as a long distance, absentee landlord?
How much are you looking to spend?
How much/little do you wish to pay in taxes?
Are schools important?

Old 12-16-2009, 12:17 PM

23 posts, read 112,426 times
Michigannnnn

Old 12-16-2009, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 73,776 times
As an investment property you have to be aware that property taxes are some of the highest in the nation and will not be going down. Renting single family homes in any of the towns you mentioned is possible but the competition is great and the rental prices will most likely not cover your monthly expenses. Why have you chosen Long Island as an investment opportunity? As purely an investment for income property you could do better in so many other states with real multifamily properties available.

Old 12-16-2009, 02:40 PM

292 posts, read 819,929 times
Why in the world would you pick LI to buy a rental property? Our home prices are still some of the highest in the nation, not to mention we are only 2nd or 3rd for property taxes, which go up EVERY SINGLE YEAR. I think you could do a whole lot better elsewhere.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:30 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times
My answer is:

Dream on if you think LI is an investment property paradise. I assure you you would not break even, especially getting into the game today, post-huge real estate bubble.

Stick to what you know.

Old 12-16-2009, 03:35 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Default Understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland"

BlackHawksfan102, in case you are unfamiliar with the local geography:

What people refer to colloquially as "towns" are actually villages and hamlets, which are within actual towns; and, because villages and hamlets are referred to as "towns", then, many times, the error is compounded when actual towns are referred to as "townships".

Also, many colloquially refer to a "downtown business district" in a hamlet as a "village".

NYS Geographic Glossary and Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource may be of some help to you in understanding the geography of "Lawn Guyland".

On LI, You Ain't Where You Think You Are, rev. 1 may help you understand the great geographic confusions caused by non-conforming ZIP Code postal zones.

You can get a fact sheet for any city, village or hamlet on Long Island by going here American FactFinder and input the name of the city, village or hamlet for "city/town" (leave out the ZIP Code) and New York for "State", and then click "GO".

You'll get a lot of demographic, and some economic, statistics for the city, village or hamlet you selected, and if you click on "Reference map" (it's on the right hand side), you'll get a map.

When you do find a property that you like, you can find out in which community (city, village or CDP) that house is actually located, which is oftentimes different from the community named in that house's mailing address, by using the Census Bureau's online address search function. (CDP or Census Designated Place is the Census Bureau equivalent for a hamlet in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.)

And, very importantly, among other things, the Census Bureau's online address search function also indicates in which school district an address is located.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island