Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 07:10 AM

189 posts, read 632,911 times

Advertisements

What are your thoughts on Huntington, the beach area, or Huntington Bay? Are their young (20 to 30 somethings) living there? How about the culture compared to the rest of Long Island? Any pros or cons?
sorry to be so vague... I'm just wondering if it's a good place to look to buy a house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2009, 11:53 AM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
HUntington Bay is a great place to live, but it can be a pain to get in and out of on snowy days like this. I don't think you'll find very many young 20's living there - it's very expensive and mostly families. It's also in the Huntington school district, and Huntington busses - so you may live in a million dollar house but your kids might go to the school by the projects by Huntington RR station, which is not only somewhat unpalatable but a pretty far bus ride.

I grew up in Huntington, DM me with any specific questions.

Old 12-20-2009, 12:17 PM

Thank you so much for getting back. What area in Huntington would you think 20 or 30-somethings would be living in? Closer to the Village? What about the area near Hecksher Park?
I'm 36, my wife is 28. We want to be close to the downtown area where we can walk to the shops. The whole area just seems kinda confusing with all the villages!

Old 12-20-2009, 12:22 PM

22,669 posts, read 36,798,199 times
For walking to the village I like the West Neck area. Check out the area off West Neck Road, both sides are nice. West Neck Road does run into Lloyd Harbor, and you'll see prices jump accordingly.

THe area near Hechscher is certainly convenient...it's not a bad area, but I think there tends to be more rentals to young guys over there. Also, when something is going on at the park that area can be a complete nightmare.

The area south of the village is nice too - it's a nice downhill walk to the village, )but then it's all uphill on the way home!). BUt it's a good solid area - I'm talking about the tree streets off Soundview and Briarwood Roads (look at google maps).

Old 12-20-2009, 03:56 PM

Thanks for the info! I appreciate it! How about the culture of Huntington Compared to the Rest of LI? Is there much to do in the winter besides drinking at bars? lol.

Old 12-20-2009, 03:59 PM

1,214 posts, read 3,643,933 times
You may want to check out Fairview, Fairmount, Myrtle Streets, etc. They're all in the same area. All walkable to the Village - all the houses are oldies (with lower tax bills), very charming and some beautiful, and no two are alike. You may be able to find something there to your liking.

In general, the neighborhoods surrounding the village are a mix of ages - no one specific area comes to mind for any specific age group. That's one of the things I like about Huntington - you see kids, teenagers, young adults (usually out on the weekends downtown), middle agers, seniors, families. All age groups here in Huntington vs. mostly families out East in the Three Village area. In fact, a friend of mine who is part of Suffolk OBGYN out in Port Jeff said that he wouldn't be able to make much of a living delivering babies in the Huntington area - not enough young families here.

Old 12-20-2009, 04:13 PM

Thanks for the info AndreaII. Not enough young families in the Huntington area? hmm.. that's not what I wanted to hear! haha. What about the culture compared to the rest of Long Island? How is it different and the same?

Old 12-20-2009, 08:40 PM

175 posts, read 657,506 times
I would disagree on the "young families" thing, I see plenty in Huntington. Huntington is a tremendous area, IMO there is more going on in Huntington than anywhere else on LI. The catch is the trade off between schools and proximity to the village. Harborfields and Cold Spring Harbor are on the short list of best school districts on LI, and Elwood is only a little behind that. But those areas are not walking distance to the village. (5-10 minute car ride). The parts where you can walk to the village are in Huntington schools, which are middle of the road.

Old 12-21-2009, 08:07 AM

465 posts, read 1,710,334 times
I agree with Pedro, I see plenty of young families in Hunt Village. Though maybe not all of them live within walking distance of the village, some probably come from the greater Huntington area as he mentioned.
The area Andrea mentioned just south of the village, from elm to central pkwy between NY ave and Nassau road is a great area if you want to be within walking distance. We take stroller walks around there all the time. West Neck is also very nice, plots may be a bit larger on some streets but also more expensive. Huntington is a great town to hang out in, its a got the town feel much more so than most other places on LI.

Old 12-21-2009, 09:20 AM

9,933 posts, read 23,155,300 times
I deal with a lot of first time homebuyers - many of them young couples, and Huntington is high up on their list! Of course not all can afford the prices, but enough do.
Another possible area is off Soundview!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island