Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 05:46 PM

347 posts, read 1,351,928 times

Advertisements

Visiting the schools is definitely the best way to go. I did that in my district and got a lot more comfortable once I saw how the schools operate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
From my understanding east rockaway schools are much more desireable than malverne.

Malverne itself is a nice town, from my understanding the schools get the bad reputation due to bussing of kids in from really bad areas.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:08 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,453,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
From my understanding east rockaway schools are much more desireable than malverne.

Malverne itself is a nice town, from my understanding the schools get the bad reputation due to bussing of kids in from really bad areas.
I have to disagree. The reason East Rockaway tends to get the better rep than Malverne is basically one thing and one thing only. Race. The East Rockaway district is more than 90% white, Malverne is more than 60% African American As far as coming from really bad areas, again have to disagree. I'm guessing that is in reference to Lakeview, which is an 85% African American community. However, Lakeview isn't a bad area by any stretch of the imagination, and is very much a middle class neighborhood. In fact the median household income in Lakeview is higher than East Rockaway (though East Rockaway has a higher per capita income). The test scores across the board are very similar in both East Rockway and Malverne. And as far as Regents diplomas:

88% of graduating students in both East Rockaway and Malverne receive a regents diploma, that number is 96% in both for General Education students. 47% of all graduating students and 53% of General Education students received a Regents Diploma with an advanced designation in Malverne. In East Rockaway those numbers are 41% for all students, and 47% of General Education students.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:00 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
let me remove my foot from my mouth and rephrase.... people tend to value East Rock higher than Malverne.

I've heard bad things about the malverne schools from people living in Lynbrook and west hempstead.

IMHO numbers on anything don't tell the whole story. I'm not sure what the story is here, I'm not that close to it. However i do have friends looking for a house in the area and have been warned by multiple people that although malverne is nice, the SD is not. I'm more relaying what they've heard/told me than first hand knowledge.

I bet if we go by testscores and graduation percentages the numbers don't stack up for many different SD of percieved value vs graduation rates. I'm not sure if its the numbers don't tell the story, or its an opportunity to get a great education and not foot as large a bill.

Some really nice houses in Malverne though

Old 12-21-2009, 08:25 PM

213 posts, read 702,919 times
Default In Malverne schools

I'll begin by saying I'm pleased with the feedback the OP is getting about Malverne schools. Though not great it's much different that what you would have seen here 2-3 years ago. Here are facts about the district from a parent of children in the schools. We live in Malverne and are very involved in the district.
1. 3 communities use the schools. North Lynbrook, Malverne and Lakeview.
2. 63% African American
3. 93% go onto college although we want to see the % going to 4year schools higher.
4. Prior Board of Education hired and fired 8 Superintendents in 10 years. That board is no longer in power.
5. Elementary math and reading scores are all above not only state but county averages after 5 years of intensive professional development, new curriculum and academic intervention.
6. Lakeview is a middle class 85% african american society.
7. The HS still needs work but they are working on it.
8. The elementaries and middle school are solid.
9. Recently implemented a district wide character education program developed by the Assistant Superintendent of Curriculum and Instruction. Reference: Connecting Character to Conduct by Richard Banyon.
10. District wide student to teacher ratio is 14 to 1!
11. Malverne schools suffer from a bad reputation b/c they WERE bad. Early 90's scores and regents rates were horrible.
12. Residents that don't use the schools always say negative things. It's all hearsay.
12. There are no organized gangs in the schools. There are some wanna be's.
13. There is a not for profit founded by a NYC teacher, an attorney and a retired New York Stock Exchange trader committed to getting accurate information about the schools to the Malverne community. They have increased Malverne resident enrollment by 500% over 4 years in the elementary schools.
14. If you are racist you will not be happy in Malverne schools.
15. If you value diversity you will be happy and more importantly your child will.
16. Both the hispanic and white population is trending higher in the district.
17. There are tons of clubs before and after school.
18. HS marching band is a NYS champion band. Big emphasis on music throughout the district starting with a forth grade instrumental and summer camp.

There's more but it's late and 2 days before Christmas. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.

Old 12-22-2009, 12:54 PM

97 posts, read 312,270 times
Thanks alot for the feedback guys! I appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:03 PM

97 posts, read 312,270 times
BTW, My wife and I are an interracial couple - so we def appreciate the diversity. As a matter of fact, I was concerned about the potential lack of diversity so I am pleased about the postiive feedback.

I do expect a high caliber of education especially considering how I'm being milked for taxes! . I must admit that it was scary to hear my neighbors talk about how the schools were run by gangs, derelicts, hoodlums and heroin pushers..but this thread has convinced me I need to verify for myself!

Old 12-22-2009, 07:35 PM

14 posts, read 19,543 times
I've always thought of Malverne as a bit of an anomaly. It's a nice little town. Not saying that this is right but usually when you have a school district with a majority minority population, the property values seem to come down for what ever reason. You also have the usual white flight. This doesn't seem to be the case with Malverne. Maybe this is because the black kids are bused in. I have some Italians friends living there and they love it. Anyone want to add to my observation?

Old 12-22-2009, 09:51 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LaidBackAndHappy View Post
I've always thought of Malverne as a bit of an anomaly. It's a nice little town. Not saying that this is right but usually when you have a school district with a majority minority population, the property values seem to come down for what ever reason. You also have the usual white flight. This doesn't seem to be the case with Malverne. Maybe this is because the black kids are bused in. I have some Italians friends living there and they love it. Anyone want to add to my observation?
You are correct. I lived there until 5 years ago and my parents still live there. It is a great town with a sub-par school district. I do believe it has improved a bit, but it is not worth the taxes in the area. There is a push to get Malverne resident enrollment up, but I am under the impression that most Malverne residents still sent their kids to private school. Also, I am not sure how much it is about race, because two black families on my parent's block also opted for private school.

I think the Lakeview socio-economic issues at the school may be more of a factor than race as Lakeview residents make up most of the school distric while Malverne residents opt to go to private school. It has been that way since the late 1960's.

You should still check it out for yourself.

Old 12-22-2009, 10:32 PM

28 posts, read 74,083 times
I grew up in Malverne and might be able to shed some light on this. First of all, minorities are not "bused in". Lakeview and Malverne are separated by Ocean Ave. Malverne HS is actually located on the Lakeview side of Ocean Ave. and is more easily accessible from Lakeview than from Malverne. The general sense in the Village of Malverne is that the school district is not good and a sizable portion of student age children go to private, religious schools. The reality is, that like any other school, the school is as good as what the student is willing to put in. Although my parents ended up sending me to a private middle school and high school, a lot of my friends that went to Malverne HS ended up going to respectable 4-year colleges, just like me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island