Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-21-2009, 04:23 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,715,420 times

Advertisements

OK, the traffic tonight heading south from Stony Brook/St James was HORRENDOUS!

1 hour to get from SB LIRR Station to the intersection of Pond Path/Stony Brook Rd in Lake Grove....what is that - 6-7 miles?

Imagine this were some sort of disaster requiring immediate evac of LI?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-21-2009, 04:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,303,161 times
Too bad they didn't think of that BEFORE building the Shoreham Nuclear Power Facility. It would have saved us a lot of money and grief.

Seriously, though, that's why I always am AMAZED when people out there are so hot to recommend living way out in Suffolk for poor souls who have to drive to work in Nassau, Queens, etc. Is it sadism?

Old 12-21-2009, 04:33 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,331,120 times
They'd probably do what they did Houston, make streets/highways all one way.

But I do agree that'd it'd be a very tough evacuation, 7-million Long Islanders over less than 10 bridges/tunnels, they'd have to start evacuating people from very early on.

Old 12-21-2009, 04:35 PM

Let's face it.

We'd all be skeletons sitting in our cars ...

Old 12-21-2009, 04:56 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,171,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
OK, the traffic tonight heading south from Stony Brook/St James was HORRENDOUS!

1 hour to get from SB LIRR Station to the intersection of Pond Path/Stony Brook Rd in Lake Grove....what is that - 6-7 miles?

Imagine this were some sort of disaster requiring immediate evac of LI?

OBH,

Its the mall at Xmas.

That would be the one deal breaker for me if I were to ever return to SB.
347 East and West is possibly the worst strech of failed planning in Suffolk County and 3v is completely married to it.

Its pretty much useless year round now but Xmas is beyond agonizing and painful to watch.I feel for you, I got friends in the M Section who want to off themselves right now.

You can thank the old Repuplican Brookhaven Whorehouse for that.I had family who recently came back to the area after 20 years who commented "When did 347 become worse than the Cross Bronx?".

Smithtown got it right, you cant help but notice how traffic opens up once you leave Crookhaven.
Remember when 347 was "The Bypass" well now its the clogged artery.

A few deep breaths...its almost Jan and back to useless.

Hang in there-

Crooks

Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 PM

22,668 posts, read 36,792,894 times
There will never be an evacuation. It's not part of either county's emergency preparedness plan because it simply isn't feasible. We can't even get people in and out of malls at Christmas time (you should've seen Roosevelt Field this afternoon - I have to go past on my way home - NEVER seen anything like it!)...there is no way we can ever evacuate. Ever.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Too bad they didn't think of that BEFORE building the Shoreham Nuclear Power Facility. It would have saved us a lot of money and grief.

Seriously, though, that's why I always am AMAZED when people out there are so hot to recommend living way out in Suffolk for poor souls who have to drive to work in Nassau, Queens, etc. Is it sadism?
Shoreham needed a bridge or 2.
As do we all.

As for SB to Nassau, Queens.
Nicholls to the LIE is generally not too bad but 347 just plain sucks.

This sounds like local mall gridlock at Xmas.Kinda like Roosevelt Field but worse because they never banked on Suffolks population eclipsing Nassaus.

Crooks

Old 12-21-2009, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
There will never be an evacuation. It's not part of either county's emergency preparedness plan because it simply isn't feasible. We can't even get people in and out of malls at Christmas time (you should've seen Roosevelt Field this afternoon - I have to go past on my way home - NEVER seen anything like it!)...there is no way we can ever evacuate. Ever.
Ah c'mon Twingles, OF COURSE they planned it!

What about all those "Coastal Evacuation Route" signs I see out there.

Old 12-21-2009, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Ah c'mon Twingles, OF COURSE they planned it!

What about all those "Coastal Evacuation Route" signs I see out there.
Good point.

Im sure theyve "planned to plan" on our dime.

Doing...thats another story.

Crooks

Old 12-21-2009, 05:59 PM

5,072 posts, read 9,144,775 times
One word... boats.

Or personal aircraft.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island