Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 07:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,277,348 times

Advertisements

Today I had to open my trunk for the carwash people to vacuum and there was my (old) windshield scraper. The boy in the car wash asked ,"what's this?"
He had never seen one and had no idea what it was used for.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 AM

6,384 posts, read 13,156,915 times
People...CLEAN THE SNOW OFF THE ROOF OF YOUR CARS!!! Someones gonna get killed. This is a heavy snow and I really dont feel like dodging 2x2 chunks of snow when driving. If you cant reach the top of your truck/suv/car then ask someone. Im sure they will give you a hand!

Old 02-11-2010, 05:36 AM

9,531 posts, read 15,881,015 times
I agree - you need to clean off the roof, especially if you're planning to go on a highway - it should be law if it's not already. To those who think it's simply "an act of god" when it damages the car behind you, go buy some morals, and a sense of responsibility to your fellow humans. Even if you don't damage the car, a flying pack of snow could have them dodging it and could cause other accidents. You shouldn't want this BS happening to you either.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:18 AM

20,046 posts, read 20,844,919 times
Funny, I read this post earlier this morning.
I became much more observant whilst digging out and then again on the road when taking Mrs. Hot Karl to work. Kept thinking about this thread, ha ha!
I'd say approximately 7 out of every 10 vehicles had significant amounts of snow on the roof. I saw about a half dozen vehicles that didn't do much more than clear a peephole in the windows. Looked like white army tanks going down the road.
Also leaving the white fog as they were doing 50MPH down the road with all the snow blowing off the car. Whatever. It is what it is.

Old 02-11-2010, 07:23 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
I was actually about to post a new thread about this, but I'm glad this was bumped up.

Seriously, a-holes.. clean off the tops of your cars. I even saw a friggen Mini Cooper with only the windshield/back glass/side windows cleaned.. snow on the hood, headlights, taillights and roof. UGH

Old 02-11-2010, 08:00 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Funny, I read this post earlier this morning.
I became much more observant whilst digging out and then again on the road when taking Mrs. Hot Karl to work. Kept thinking about this thread, ha ha!
I'd say approximately 7 out of every 10 vehicles had significant amounts of snow on the roof. I saw about a half dozen vehicles that didn't do much more than clear a peephole in the windows. Looked like white army tanks going down the road.
Also leaving the white fog as they were doing 50MPH down the road with all the snow blowing off the car. Whatever. It is what it is.
Crooks should have added this to his poll.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:08 AM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,499 times
Not soon enough for me, but...

As of this coming November, I believe that clearing the vehicle of snow/ice, including the roofs, will become mandatory in NYS.

Quote:
S4609: Requires that most motor vehicles be cleared of snow, sleet, or hail accumulated on their roof and cargo bed surfaces
S4609 - NY Senate Open Legislation - Requires that most motor vehicles be cleared of snow, sleet, or hail accumulated on their roof and cargo bed surfaces - New York State Senate (http://open.nysenate.gov/openleg/api/1.0/html/bill/S4609 - broken link)

S4609 Summary
Makes it mandatory that no person shall operate a motor vehicle while there is an accumulation of snow, sleet, or hail on the roof surfaces of drivers compartment, trailer, or other cargo compartments; provides that such mandate shall not apply during the falling of snow, sleet or hail or within three hours after the cessation thereof; excepts automobile transporters, motorcycles, and authorized emergency vehicles from such mandate
Of course, enforcement is another issue.

Old 02-11-2010, 08:14 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,541,654 times
I'm sure some older or disabled people might have a tough time but at least TRY! Do something other than a peephole......arrrgh! Make me wish I was a PO.....I would right tickets all day. Major pet peeve of mine. That and people backing up because they missed the exit.....

Old 02-11-2010, 11:55 AM

294 posts, read 879,137 times
In NJ, it is already a law that one must clean the snow off the roof of one's vehicle. Hope it becomes law here as well.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:59 AM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
Sad that it has to be a law for people to even consider doing it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island