Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-11-2010, 01:02 PM

294 posts, read 876,034 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
Sad that it has to be a law for people to even consider doing it.
So true. And still, when it's a law, many people will not do it. How many drivers do we see on cell phones now? Too many.......
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 01:06 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,309,337 times
If we spot such a vehicle in the rear view mirror, just force them to brake suddenly and hope all the ice falls on their bonnet !!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:11 PM

22,615 posts, read 36,516,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
If we spot such a vehicle in the rear view mirror, just force them to brake suddenly and hope all the ice falls on their bonnet !!
That just happened to my neighbor - she was driving down the street and had to slow down to navigate all the cars that are parked on my street for sledders...when she stopped all the snow came crashing down on her windshield, she had to back down the street to her house and clean it off!

Old 02-11-2010, 01:12 PM

19,584 posts, read 20,412,309 times
Unless the law carries a hefty fine or is punishable by death, I don't think it's really going to make a difference. Just like the cell phone laws. People just blatently ignore it, like it doesn't even exist. I do recall the same situation when they came out with the seatbelt law, took people a while to get it. Maybe they need to not only carry a decent fine, but also attach some points to your license. Seems more people fear points than paying a $50 or $100 ticket every once in a while.
Points are the legal gift that just keep on giving

Last edited by hotkarl; 02-11-2010 at 01:13 PM.. Reason: ugh, spelling, what else?

Old 02-11-2010, 01:27 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,182,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Funny, I read this post earlier this morning.
I became much more observant whilst digging out and then again on the road when taking Mrs. Hot Karl to work. Kept thinking about this thread, ha ha!
I'd say approximately 7 out of every 10 vehicles had significant amounts of snow on the roof. I saw about a half dozen vehicles that didn't do much more than clear a peephole in the windows. Looked like white army tanks going down the road.Also leaving the white fog as they were doing 50MPH down the road with all the snow blowing off the car. Whatever. It is what it is.
If you start the job (digging the car out of the snow), why not finish it and get the snow OFF the blasted roof, etc.? What will it take? An extra minute or two?

Makes no sense to me.

Although I no longer shovel snow, I am adept at supervising snow shovellers. ***Tip: After a big snow, don't just rely on the dinky snow brush/scraper thing. Take your kitchen broom outside and use that to get the snow off the roof, back windshield, etc.***

Old 02-11-2010, 01:34 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,942,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
If you start the job (digging the car out of the snow), why not finish it and get the snow OFF the blasted roof, etc.? What will it take? An extra minute or two?
We have better things to do like book it to Starbucks for our GrandeTall Mocha Caramel Light Macchiato, or take our kids to Football Soccer Dance School practice.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:39 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,589 times
If people didn't tailgate this would not be an issue.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post

Makes no sense to me.

Although I no longer shovel snow, I am adept at supervising snow shovellers. ***Tip: After a big snow, don't just rely on the dinky snow brush/scraper thing. Take your kitchen broom outside and use that to get the snow off the roof, back windshield, etc.***
Don't forget there is a safety issue here.
It is reasonable to believe Mrs. Soccer Mom could quite possibly damage a nail, or 2. Also, when clearing snow off the roof, if it is of the powdery blend and the wind conditions are right, the fluffy flakes may become lodged in the hair, causing great stress and other emotional issues that go along with maintaining proper hair ettiquette.

For Mr. Business Professional or Mr. Contractor Guy, he is obviously the most important person in the world, and honestly if he were to perform a task that was considerate to others it could have him questioning his very being, thus causing undue stress on his intellectual and financial manhood.

Just something we should consider before passing judgement on these fragile individuals.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:57 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,674,589 times
What is your driving name.....Mr Perpetual Angst?

Old 02-11-2010, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
What is your driving name.....Mr Perpetual Angst?
LOL! I like that one, really. I think a new forum name is on the horizon for me...Ha ha! That was awesome.

Mr. Perpetual Angst
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island