Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2009, 11:00 AM

6 posts, read 13,591 times

Advertisements

Anyone find any great deals on TVs this season? My wife and I are looking for something around 37"-42" for around $500...and losing hope fast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2009, 11:12 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVargas View Post
Anyone find any great deals on TVs this season? My wife and I are looking for something around 37"-42" for around $500...and losing hope fast.
If you don't find something before Christmas, try after. Some places may have an after Christmas sale.

Best thing to do is go to Best Buy, they have the most TV's on display so you can get a good look at various brands. When you find one you like, shop around.

I did notice that Sam's Club wasn't offering much less than other stores. Best Buy is expensive and PC Richards is up there but you can try to haggle with them.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:19 AM

10,655 posts, read 18,656,890 times
Target has a 42" for $597

Old 12-22-2009, 11:27 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
we got a 37" off newegg dot com for $399 no tax $10 shipping, it's LG brand. we get all our electronics off there.

stay away from Dell, ours just broke after 3 years and it's not repairable for less than the cost of a new one.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:28 AM

654 posts, read 2,119,738 times
My brother went to 6th Avenue Electronics and as most stores seem to do they jacked up their prices and then put it "on sale". So my brother told the sales person that he bought the same TV from them 4 months ago and now it was 200 bucks more. He said he wanted it for the same price as last time. They gave it to them. Point being there is room for negotiation.

Old 12-22-2009, 11:41 AM

1,534 posts, read 3,493,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBVargas View Post

You can find it, like other posters have said, but you may not get the quality you want. Lot's of TVs out there but they vary vastly in quality, so don't let price be lone determinant...ie, lcd you'd prob want 120Hz, not the cheaper 60Hz. Plasma TVs tend to run cheaper than LCDs. If you buy 2009 models and up, you shouldn't have problems with burn out issues (don't buy older plasma models though). From my 'limited' research, the best plasmas are Panasonic Vieras, the best LCD's are Samsungs. But like other poster wrote, you should go to Best buys and compare, talk to a sales rep who is knowledgeable; google the topic, lots of info on the web. Pick several you like, look online. Amazon's usu have free shipping deals and no tax, but sometimes Best buy has the better deal, esp Thanksgiving time. Wait till after Xmas as there'll prob be a good sale. Good luck!

Old 12-22-2009, 11:58 AM

16,904 posts, read 16,116,328 times
60 Hz TV's are excellent, don't let that gimmick get you. 120 & 240 sets show unnatural images on the screen. In other words, when something in the picture SHOULD appear blurred, since it's in fast motion, with 120 - 240 Mz technology that blur now looks unnaturally sharp when it shouldn't.
Weird. It's true. I learned it from Consumer Reports magazine.
I just bought a 60 Hz. Panasonic Viera LCD 42" from Best Buy for $650. Widest viewing angle in the biz, loads of inputs, blackest blacks in the LCD market, has PC connection and is SD memory card friendly so I can watch slideshows and movies off of my digital camera.
I LOVE it! MODEL: L42U12

Panasonic TC - L42U12 - 42" LCD TV - 1080p (FullHD)

Old 12-22-2009, 12:11 PM

964 posts, read 2,461,817 times
I really wish more people were educated on home theater equipment. Granted, HT is a hobby of mine, but I can't believe how much misinformation there is out there.

First off, do yourself a favor and stay away from LCD unless we are talking about the very advanced LED based LCD's from Samsung (and even those have a lot of issues).

The best display technology right now is Plasma..hands down. There is a reason people are still killing themselves to get their hands on a Pioneer plasma, even though Pioneer stopped making them earlier this year.

Plasmas don't have any burn-in issues anymore. Also, they now mostly have special coatings so that glare isn't an issue either. With those 2 negatives out of the way, they beat LCD is almost every aspect of picture quality possible.....contrast, color rendition, viewing angle, motion, etc.

LCD's have poor contrast..meaning the black levels tend to blur and look grayish. Colors aren't as accurate when black levels are gray. The viewing angle of plasmas is 180 degrees....with LCD's you get a washed out picture as soon as you start moving past around 60 degrees off center. Also, LCD's still have trouble with fast motion (ie sports) because the screen has to be refreshed for every frame. Plasmas show motion flawlessly for the most part.

Bottom line.....get yourself a Panasonic Plasma. You can get a good 42 inch for around $700 dollars or less. You'll save yourself money vs. LCD and get a better picture quality.

Old 12-22-2009, 01:26 PM

176 posts, read 474,531 times
Red face also voting for panasonic plasmas, 6ave and newegg

both those online stores are very reputable and have good prices, i know for a fact that if you call 6ave and ask for a better price they may give it to you....I would not necessarily say stay away from LCD's, they are the least expesive and as long as you do not buy the bottom tier names you should be ok for some years to come and then when you are ready to invest in a high quality plasma then you can move the LCD to the bedwoom, that is what I did with my 32" zenith TV that cost about $1100 5 yrs ago. my 42" panasonic plasma was less than that back in jan of this year...LG, smasung, toshiba, you should be ok with those names, i think panasonic makes a nice LCD in your price range as well.

azzuroy,
I too am an HT guy....I own a Panasonic 42PZ85U and a BD80 blue ray disc player. some Mirage and energy speakers for a 5.1 surround anchored solidly by a martin logan Dynamo sub....oh yeah I have an older JVC receiver DTS-ES that I absolutely love and I refuse to give up on as long as it continues to pump out sweet sounds....a year ago my HT set up was pretty humble, I caught the itch this year and i replaced every component but the receiver....and I am damn happy about it!

Old 12-22-2009, 02:58 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post

Plasmas don't have any burn-in issues anymore. Also, they now mostly have special coatings so that glare isn't an issue either. With those 2 negatives out of the way, they beat LCD is almost every aspect of picture quality possible.....contrast, color rendition, viewing angle, motion, etc.
Great info...thanks!

Do you know what changed with LCD's...why they don't burn-in anymore. Is it just better technology?

We have 4 at work that are about 2 years old and already have burn-in areas? the burn in and glare were really the show stoppers for me buying one...but if thats not a problem anymore i'll probably get back in the market.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island