Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2009, 02:47 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,373,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
It's not like this storm snuck up on them. They knew it was coming they knew it was going to be bad, they didn't do enough. And it's not like this is the first time they've had "switch problems" it happens when it's 85 and sunny.
I think my train has "switch problems" more than it doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2009, 02:52 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I think my train has "switch problems" more than it doesn't.
Amen to that we must take the same train. I just don't understand how we're paying for all of these unionized "better trained" employees and nothing works however the equiptment I use is probably assembled by shoeless malasian 10 year olds and it works everytime.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:12 PM

1,306 posts, read 1,663,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslandCitizen View Post
It was a blizzard. Sounds legit to me. Golf clap to them for taking the time out to explain this to our dense citizens.
Of course, the day of the blizzard can be understood but two days later? On Tuesday morning it took me two hours to get to Penn double my usual one and an additional twenty minutes on the commute home. Also, on Tuesday morn two trains were cancelled on my line without an announcement being made, they just didn't show up! All of this was explained after the fact as equipment trouble and the ever resourceful "switch problems".

Old 12-23-2009, 11:01 PM

939 posts, read 2,311,228 times
Quote:
kept switches moving, cleared platforms and parking lots of snow and ice Nope. Switches were not working in Sayville Monday morning while the LIRR reported 10 min delays the train was an hour late. Great River parking lot was not plowed. Also the gate in Patchogue was broken.
most parking lots are owned by municipalities, not the lirr...

Old 12-24-2009, 06:37 AM

2,897 posts, read 4,406,736 times
while i agree there shouldnt be switch problems all week, lets step back and look at what happened. We had a historical blizzard. At times the the snow was coming down at a rate of 3" an hour. How can you keep up with that? 26" of snow was dumped in 12hrs!!! So did they do a great job? No. But can you really put the blame on them? This time I would have to say they did the best they could.

Old 12-24-2009, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Amen to that we must take the same train. I just don't understand how we're paying for all of these unionized "better trained" employees and nothing works however the equiptment I use is probably assembled by shoeless malasian 10 year olds and it works everytime.
your car you mean?

lol, yeah mine's made by a bunch of koreans. No problems there!

I think I know why the trains suck- they are made in Canada.

Old 12-24-2009, 10:21 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,339,993 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
your car you mean?

lol, yeah mine's made by a bunch of koreans. No problems there!

I think I know why the trains suck- they are made in Canada.
In Canada? Somethings wrong there. I thought they were made in China. Heck I thought everything was made in China. Hmmm, I better check my tag. Nope I was made in the USA.

Old 12-24-2009, 11:26 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,423,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzook View Post
while i agree there shouldnt be switch problems all week, lets step back and look at what happened. We had a historical blizzard. At times the the snow was coming down at a rate of 3" an hour. How can you keep up with that? 26" of snow was dumped in 12hrs!!! So did they do a great job? No. But can you really put the blame on them? This time I would have to say they did the best they could.
Oh I know all about the rate of snowfall I had to drive from EI to Southampton sat night I left at 9 didn't get there till 11:30 and I think I did ok, no plows no nuttin. They have a JET ENGINE on tracks that they supposedly use to clear away snow. Didn't see it. Again the point being the excuses from Helena are kind of backhanded. Excuse, excuse, excuse oh yeah we need to do better. And again the switches are an ongoing problem regardless of weather condition. Oh and the doors closing is another one. They should run QC at the begining of the run. So when the train takes a giant steaming dump something can be done about it.

Old 12-24-2009, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
In Canada? Somethings wrong there. I thought they were made in China. Heck I thought everything was made in China. Hmmm, I better check my tag. Nope I was made in the USA.
No I swear to god- Bombardier Corporation in Quebec City Canada makes the trains. There's a sign that says so inside the train-cars.

Blame Canada!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island