Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Oceanside vs Baldwin
Oceanside 15 45.45%
Baldwin 18 54.55%
Voters: 33. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-28-2009, 06:12 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the truth View Post
We have kids in the Baldwin school system and have nothing but great feedback. When or if there's a problem of any kind in school - that you would find in ANY school - issues are addressed fairly and immediately. In Baldwin your neighbors look out for you and your children and rest assured, if there's a problem where we live, I can count on 4-5 neighbors stepping up at any time of the night and helping, without question.
that's nice and all, but I'd rather live in the community where I don't have to worry about something happening "at any time of the night" that would necessitate assistance from 4-5 neighbors.

Quote:
There is a true sense of community in Baldwin that is special and is enhanced by the diversity that is a part of every day life here. We looked at houses in Oceanside before purchasing in Baldwin 5 years ago and are very happy with our decision. People who have bad things to say about Baldwin usually aren't the ones who live here. Next time someone has something bad to say about Baldwin, ask them where they LIVE and the last time they spent any time here - not just repeating b.s. rumors and exaggerations they heard from someone who heard from someone.
not sure what rumors and exaggerations are going around these days but here are a couple of facts:
-the homes in the Village of RVC that fall within the Baldwin school district come at a big discount compared to those with RVC schools
-the homes in Baldwin that fall within the Oceanside school district are usually priced higher than similar homes with Baldwin schools.

there are legit reasons for this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 07:28 PM

4 posts, read 9,741 times
Hey S.I.B. - is that short for Stuck in Baldwin? Sounds like you're not very happy. Fact - crap happens everywhere, but can you depend on your neighbors anywhere you live? I can. And that can run the gamut from one of my kids is sick and it's the middle of the night and I need a babysitter fast for the others - to there's a leak in my basement and bring the buckets fast. We're a very tightknit neighborhood and yes, these are things we help each other with. We look after each other and not because gang wars are unfolding in our front yards. If you can point me in the direction of the community where you'd rather live, where you say you'd never have to worry about anything happening and you don't need good neighbors, I'd love to hear about it.

RVC is a very nice place. Their schools are highly rated. They should fetch a premium. That doesn't mean they are problem-free. Nor does it mean that Baldwin is the dividing line into the ghetto. The homes that have Baldwin addresses but Oceanside schools are in a nice area too, but paying a higher price for these doesn't make much sense. On average you're getting smaller properties for higher prices and not much in the way of a substantial benefit when it comes to the schools. Oceanside and Baldwin school districts are comparable. I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to either but I can't see a "legit reason" for paying in the neighborhood of 50,000 more for a similar home to send my kids to Oceanside. IMO Baldwin is academically stronger in some areas and has a better community feel. Like I said, we looked in both areas and CHOSE Baldwin. No one forced us to move here and we are not forced to stay. Brace yourself, WE LIKE IT HERE.

As for exaggerations - whenever something bad happens in Baldwin, and yes I'm aware it does, it gets passed around by outsiders like a bad game of "Telephone". When bad things happen in surrounding towns like RVC and Oceanside - and things do, they get squashed and hush-hushed because no one living there wants to have negative things about their town made publicly known. It leads to a skewed perspective. I live here and have a clear perspective.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:02 PM

1 posts, read 2,860 times
Baldwin works for me.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:09 PM

40 posts, read 124,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
For anyone who made up a new screenname to vote on the poll, please note that it is against the TOS of C-D to do this and they CAN check and see who you really are.

Why I am mentioning this, is that, judging from the written post responses, I don't believe Baldwin could win the poll in a million years. Really now, do you think people are that stupid?
I think the same. No way Baldwin would win over Oceanside. Just a drive through each towns main drag shows a clear difference that Oceanside (at least esthetically) is much nicer than Baldwin. As for the homes, I dont see much difference and there some neighborhoods in Baldwin that look nicer than Oceanside, but the business areas are vastly different.

Old 12-28-2009, 08:14 PM

228 posts, read 810,336 times
Neither are that great or that bad... My vote goes for Baldwin... Baldwin gets the advantage because of convience... It is closer to parkways, better train access, and you dont have to deal with all that Long Beach traffic during the summers... The schools are about the same... I think Baldwin has a better community neighborhood feel too... As for crime, Baldwin and Oceanside border each other what ever crime is going on in Baldwin is going on Oceanside...

Old 12-28-2009, 08:39 PM

228 posts, read 810,336 times
I don't think people have that much time or care that much to make up screen names just to vote in some meaningless poll... Either Baldwin isnt as bad as you think it or Oceanside isn't as nice as you imagine... Just take it as is...

Old 12-29-2009, 07:20 AM

20,049 posts, read 20,855,965 times
A big problem with Oceanside is that it is very transient.
With all the shopping options you have tons of people shopping or working there, and you also have the Long Beach traffic. Being non-residents, a large majority of these people don't give a damn and show no respect for the community.
Long Beach Road being the primary trail into Long Beach is a huge part of the traffic problem in Oceanside. Basically Oceanside is a doormat that everybody wipes their feet on before going in the house.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buscape View Post
Neither are that great or that bad... My vote goes for Baldwin... Baldwin gets the advantage because of convience... It is closer to parkways, better train access, and you dont have to deal with all that Long Beach traffic during the summers... The schools are about the same
not even remotely true.

Quote:
... I think Baldwin has a better community neighborhood feel too... As for crime, Baldwin and Oceanside border each other what ever crime is going on in Baldwin is going on Oceanside...
wow, what a concept. Does this apply to every community that borders Baldwin? Using this logic, the same crime is everywhere on LI!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I am the truth View Post
Hey S.I.B. - is that short for Stuck in Baldwin? Sounds like you're not very happy. Fact - crap happens everywhere, but can you depend on your neighbors anywhere you live? I can. And that can run the gamut from one of my kids is sick and it's the middle of the night and I need a babysitter fast for the others - to there's a leak in my basement and bring the buckets fast. We're a very tightknit neighborhood and yes, these are things we help each other with. We look after each other and not because gang wars are unfolding in our front yards. If you can point me in the direction of the community where you'd rather live, where you say you'd never have to worry about anything happening and you don't need good neighbors, I'd love to hear about it.
so you have great neighbors. So do people in Hempstead....and Sands Point. It says very little about the community as a whole.

Quote:
RVC is a very nice place. Their schools are highly rated. They should fetch a premium. That doesn't mean they are problem-free. Nor does it mean that Baldwin is the dividing line into the ghetto. The homes that have Baldwin addresses but Oceanside schools are in a nice area too, but paying a higher price for these doesn't make much sense. On average you're getting smaller properties for higher prices and not much in the way of a substantial benefit when it comes to the schools. Oceanside and Baldwin school districts are comparable. I wouldn't hesitate to send my kids to either but I can't see a "legit reason" for paying in the neighborhood of 50,000 more for a similar home to send my kids to Oceanside. IMO Baldwin is academically stronger in some areas and has a better community feel. Like I said, we looked in both areas and CHOSE Baldwin. No one forced us to move here and we are not forced to stay. Brace yourself, WE LIKE IT HERE.
In your opinion, why do those homes go for more money? Is it simply because Baldwin has an undeserved bad reputation?

Quote:
As for exaggerations - whenever something bad happens in Baldwin, and yes I'm aware it does, it gets passed around by outsiders like a bad game of "Telephone". When bad things happen in surrounding towns like RVC and Oceanside - and things do, they get squashed and hush-hushed because no one living there wants to have negative things about their town made publicly known. It leads to a skewed perspective. I live here and have a clear perspective.
I wasn't aware the residents of those communities had the ability to control the media and what people say to each other! Good thing you live in an area free of "rumors and exaggerations"!

Old 12-29-2009, 08:31 AM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
Here's some of the reasons your paying 70-90K less.... And these aren't just rumors ............... this is just a few:

Robbers Strike at Baldwin ATM Twice in 2 Days | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Baldwin Liquor Shop Robbed at Gunpoint | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

2 Baldwin Men Charged With 24-Hour Burglary Spree | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Baldwin Store Robbed at Gunpoint | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Teen Beaten, Robbed in Baldwin | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Armed Home Invasion Burglars Strike in Baldwin | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Police: Baldwin Woman Stabbed Mom, 2 Cops With Scissors | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

3 Robbed at Knifepoint in Baldwin | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Armed Bandits Turn Baldwin Party Into Holdup | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Cops: Customers show up, so would-be robber flees

Cops: Baldwin men had 12 pounds of pot in car trunk (The Nassau County PBA) (http://www.nassaupba.org/public/public_interest/blotter/pot.shtml - broken link)

Second Suspect Arrested in Armed Robberies | Long Island Press | News, Long Island, Local News, Breaking News

Cops: 4 charged in Baldwin crime spree (The Nassau County PBA) (http://www.nassaupba.org/public/public_interest/blotter/Baldwin-crime-spree.shtml - broken link)

http://www.freeportny.com/index.aspx?NID=463 (broken link)

http://www.longislandpress.com/2009/...med-robberies/

Baldwin borders Oceanside and RVC show me this much crime in either town ...............

Last edited by BigMike50; 12-29-2009 at 09:15 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island