Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:04 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times

Advertisements

Heres a thread thats needed starting for some time now.

What Vineyards do you guys like/dislike/think?

What makes these wines so good?
How do they compare to other domestic wines?

Crooks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2009, 09:31 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
I think LI wines are quite good, more closely related to European wines than Cali wines. I also like wine tasting there, it's much more friendly and homey (and cheaper) than Napa and Sonoma.

Sure it's still new and relatively small, but I think it will continue to grow and get better and better. The farms out there will flourish, too, as will the towns and the restaurants, etc.

As far as the wines, I think Bedell makes some nice wines. Channing Daughters is a good one, too. Duckwalk is great. Wolffer Estates make excellent wines and have THE BEST winery on the island I would think.

There are a number of new ones that opened or are about to, it's very exciting. There's even one that just opened that's just sparkling...Sparkling Pointe Long Island Sparkling Wine, North Fork of Long Island

Also, we now have a distillery (Long Island Spirits :: Home of Long Island's Original LiV Vodka) and another brewery (Home - Greenport Harbor Brewing co).

I love it out there, each fork for different reasons. Combined, it's quite a destination.

Old 12-28-2009, 07:01 AM

88 posts, read 480,724 times
Depends on what you are looking for. I think Palmer has the best wine. Pugliese is the best if you are buying an impressive gift for someone. Pindar is the best if you have guests that want to go on a wine tour. But my favorite is Osprey Dominion for just going there on a weekend afternoon with a hunk of cheese, buying a bottle of wine and sitting in their backyard and listen to the band they have playing. I have never had a bad time there.

Old 12-28-2009, 09:31 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
I like Wolffer best also. Don't like Pindar.

Also like Martha Clara for an inexpensive everyday kind of wine. Baiting Hollow Farm Vineyard has decent wines and is nice to sit, enjoy a bottle and listen to music in the summer. Roanoke is just okay.

I am not a big wine person (actually more of a beer drinker) but I like the atmosphere in the summer and fall. I don't think we can really compete with Napa/Sonoma or Oregon even, but I'm not able to travel much right now, so it works for me.

I am really curious about that new distillery- looking forward to trying that!

Old 12-28-2009, 10:45 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,413 times
I often give Duck Walk and Pindar as gifts to friends from out of the area. I recently gave a bottle of each to a friend in PA. She LOVED the Pindar (it was Sweet Scarlett, which is my preference as well) much more than the Duck Walk.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:54 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
I have been going out there for about 15 years. It has definitely changed a lot since over that time: more expensive, more winneries, more people for sure. I have not been to most of the new ones that have opened in the past few years but I can always count on Palmer, Pellegrini and Bedell. Raphael is probably the prettiest and most like a CA winnery in the look anyway. I went to a wedding there and it was great, they are a little pricey IMO. I go for the Reds mostly. Pindar is a great place to try a wide variety of wines though I am not a fan of most of them.

I think overall the wines are a bit overpriced but due to the small production amounts and twith he increase in people going out there they can pull it off. I think the quality of the some of them is really good, a few have beated CA wines in competitions. Obviously it will never be as big as some of the other wine regions but that is probably a good thing. Now I really need to get out there for a tasting.

Old 12-28-2009, 10:58 AM

270 posts, read 964,222 times
My favorites are Pellegrini, Palmer and Martha Clara. All three have very good Merlots

Old 12-28-2009, 11:49 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
I often give Duck Walk and Pindar as gifts to friends from out of the area. I recently gave a bottle of each to a friend in PA. She LOVED the Pindar (it was Sweet Scarlett, which is my preference as well) much more than the Duck Walk.
Those would be my picks. They are also family owned (Father and son...so when you pay for a tasting at one, you also get a coupon for a tasting at the other!

Pindar had a few cases of a 1996 Merlot that they were selling on clearance for $8.99...its very good.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:29 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Boxed wine!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just kidding!

I love Pellegrini Rose Wine. It's amazing and i don't even generally like Rose wine.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:14 PM

721 posts, read 1,566,186 times
The wine store at Costco in Holbrook has some of the LI wines in the back right corner. Much cheaper than the tourist prices you will pay at the wineries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island