Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-28-2009, 12:36 PM

72 posts, read 197,108 times

Advertisements

Before you flame me, read my post in its entirety.

I bought a house in Farmingdale, 3 years ago. The driveway splits the lawn, major section on the left, minor section on the right. Getting grass to grow on the small section (right side) has been a major challenge.

I've spent thousands of dollars on having the grass grow and take hold, from different specialized seeds, chemicals, even went organic one year, amendments, even brought in 5 cubic yards of new topsoil/compost and mulch. The grass always withers out and dies and by the fall it never ever comes back. I've had professional lawn people come in and look at it, even had Dylox for grubs, when there were no grubs etc. Installed irrigation system with computerized timer, proper watering regiment, still no luck. Took soil samples down to Cornell Extension, they stated that the pH was out of whack. We treated for 2 years, even though limestone takes a while to percolate, that still didn't help. Retested soil, same pH issues. Had a friend bring in his excavator and we dug a section out, turns out it was being used a trash dump, probably by the previous owner or some developer. There are probably a few hundred pounds of woodchips about 18" into the soil. Apparently the previous owner cut up a lot of trees, had the stumps ground and that contributed to the wacky pH levels.

Soil tests indicate massive compaction, regardless of wheter aeration is done or not, the soil just turns into rock during the summer, regardless of irrigation. So instead of stripping out all the soil 18" all around and bringing in new topsoil I am considering repaving that area, which is about 50 feet long by 10 feet wide. It wouldn't spoil the aesthetics of the property, but would benefit us with having a much larger driveway.

Has anyone concreted over any part of their lawn and is there a minimum of lawn required on the property? Different towns, different rules?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-28-2009, 01:05 PM

88 posts, read 480,724 times
There are different rules for different towns, but your idea of paving over it doesn't save you any trouble. To pave over it you would still have to dig out the wood chips. Otherwise each year the chips will rot and more strain will be put on the concrete until finally it will crack and heave.

Old 12-28-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjes View Post
There are different rules for different towns, but your idea of paving over it doesn't save you any trouble. To pave over it you would still have to dig out the wood chips. Otherwise each year the chips will rot and more strain will be put on the concrete until finally it will crack and heave.
Pjes, understood, however the work would be hired out to a friend of mine that is in the paver concrete business. He stated that the soil would be dug out, compacted, a few inches of RCA would be put down, that firmly compacted and reinforced mesh be used on each slab that is poured. He warranties the work for 10 years against settling. He's already done some work for me around the property.

Old 12-28-2009, 02:28 PM

88 posts, read 480,724 times
Make sure you get the warranty in writing and make sure it covers cracking, heaving and settling. Also it needs to spell out what he will do if a problem comes up. If he is only going to prorate the value over the 10 years then if one slab drops into the ground in 8 years a few hundred dollars back won't mean much to you. I would be surprised if the wood chips were not buried there to bury some other problem, broken concrete or maybe an old fuel tank. So if your friend gives you the warranty it is probably a good idea.
Just thinking about your original question though, the only problem I have ever had getting a permit for someone expanding their driveway is if it comes too close to the property line. I don't know the rules in Farmingdale, but there are some towns that would require special permission for that

Old 12-28-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pjes View Post
Make sure you get the warranty in writing and make sure it covers cracking, heaving and settling. Also it needs to spell out what he will do if a problem comes up. If he is only going to prorate the value over the 10 years then if one slab drops into the ground in 8 years a few hundred dollars back won't mean much to you. I would be surprised if the wood chips were not buried there to bury some other problem, broken concrete or maybe an old fuel tank. So if your friend gives you the warranty it is probably a good idea.
Just thinking about your original question though, the only problem I have ever had getting a permit for someone expanding their driveway is if it comes too close to the property line. I don't know the rules in Farmingdale, but there are some towns that would require special permission for that
Thanks a bunch, good pointers. I will email our buildings department at village hall to get some guidance.

Old 12-29-2009, 03:21 AM

16 posts, read 60,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashidWilliams View Post
Thanks a bunch, good pointers. I will email our buildings department at village hall to get some guidance.
That is just asking for trouble.Drive around your neighbor and see if others have done the same.If so,pave away.Keep your house papers off town desks....do you really want these guys coming by and inspecting something?Next thing you may find out is your shed,your fence,your deck etc are not "code".

Old 12-29-2009, 06:52 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RashidWilliams View Post
Before you flame me, read my post in its entirety.

I bought a house in Farmingdale, 3 years ago. The driveway splits the lawn, major section on the left, minor section on the right. Getting grass to grow on the small section (right side) has been a major challenge.

I've spent thousands of dollars on having the grass grow and take hold, from different specialized seeds, chemicals, even went organic one year, amendments, even brought in 5 cubic yards of new topsoil/compost and mulch. The grass always withers out and dies and by the fall it never ever comes back. I've had professional lawn people come in and look at it, even had Dylox for grubs, when there were no grubs etc. Installed irrigation system with computerized timer, proper watering regiment, still no luck. Took soil samples down to Cornell Extension, they stated that the pH was out of whack. We treated for 2 years, even though limestone takes a while to percolate, that still didn't help. Retested soil, same pH issues. Had a friend bring in his excavator and we dug a section out, turns out it was being used a trash dump, probably by the previous owner or some developer. There are probably a few hundred pounds of woodchips about 18" into the soil. Apparently the previous owner cut up a lot of trees, had the stumps ground and that contributed to the wacky pH levels.

Soil tests indicate massive compaction, regardless of wheter aeration is done or not, the soil just turns into rock during the summer, regardless of irrigation. So instead of stripping out all the soil 18" all around and bringing in new topsoil I am considering repaving that area, which is about 50 feet long by 10 feet wide. It wouldn't spoil the aesthetics of the property, but would benefit us with having a much larger driveway.

Has anyone concreted over any part of their lawn and is there a minimum of lawn required on the property? Different towns, different rules?
No disrespect intended, but for me, paving over 500 sq ft of lawn does spoil aesthetics, making it appear even more urban. I understand the frustration of getting grass to grow where it won't, though.

That out of my system -- you had best check with the town to see what the setbacks are for any paving near lot lines. Also, is the neighbor whose property abuts this proposed paved area aware of your intent? Does s/he have an enlarged driveway, too? Is it more the norm in your area, or are you going to be one of the first residents on your street to do so?

I would be cautious about working with a friend; not that I question his ethics, but if there are further issues I would worry about straining the friendship -- if it is a close one.

Best of luck!

Old 12-29-2009, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by archibald View Post
That is just asking for trouble.Drive around your neighbor and see if others have done the same.If so,pave away.Keep your house papers off town desks....do you really want these guys coming by and inspecting something?Next thing you may find out is your shed,your fence,your deck etc are not "code".
Archibald, point taken, however I have a good relationship with the village clerk and building guy. They've been out here probably six times already in the past 2 years, because I had to get a CO for the shed, deck and pool taken care of, where the previous owner was trying to get out of it, I had him pay to move the shed 3 feet away from the fence line, had to get a new survey for everything measured etc. So I'm really not worried about that now.

Old 12-29-2009, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
No disrespect intended, but for me, paving over 500 sq ft of lawn does spoil aesthetics, making it appear even more urban. I understand the frustration of getting grass to grow where it won't, though.

That out of my system -- you had best check with the town to see what the setbacks are for any paving near lot lines. Also, is the neighbor whose property abuts this proposed paved area aware of your intent? Does s/he have an enlarged driveway, too? Is it more the norm in your area, or are you going to be one of the first residents on your street to do so?

I would be cautious about working with a friend; not that I question his ethics, but if there are further issues I would worry about straining the friendship -- if it is a close one.

Best of luck!
Meh, there's still a good 800 sq. ft of lawn on the left side of the driveway so the house still has an entire sea of green frontage on that side. My neighbor has an enlarged driveway already and they wouldn't have any problems with me doing that, I power wash their house in the summer and clean their snow in the winter for them, good to have that relationship with people when you need to call in a favor. But yeah, there's a lot of checking I am going to have to do esp with regards to the setback lines etc. Thanks for everyone's posts. I am not close friends with the person, I just said friend when I meant he's done so much work for me, that we're quite friendly, exchange business tips etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: