Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support an ordinance to prohibit parking in Baldwin bt 3 AM and 5 AM ?
Yes, definitely 6 35.29%
No, bad idea 9 52.94%
Not sure 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 01:45 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
I started working when I was 15- Crooks will appreciate this- at McCarricks. I had to take the school bus and walk the rest of the way. Couldn't count on the public bus- too unreliable. I did this until I was 17 and could get a ride with friends.

Listen I am all for walking. I am a marathoner, so obviously I enjoy spending time on the road. A few miles is nothing to me. But I really wouldn't let my husband walk or bike home from the Huntington LIRR in the dark. Just too dangerous with the way people drive.
I lived west of Broadway in RP and would push my son in his stroller up to McCarricks (the PO Boxes out back) every day. How long ago did you work there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 01:46 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
My parents had 2 cars once they moved to the suburbs -- they lived in a neighborhood full of 1 career families. My grandparents had no cars (either set) as they were all in NYC and only the men went off to work.

Unfortunately, the Make Room for Daddy era is long ago.

I have a child with a chronic illness. Obviously, you do not. Young children tend to get upset when ill, and want to be comforted by a parent. That's part of parenting -- caring for one's child. Another thing: Vomit doesn't always make it into the toilet/bucket/sink. Would you want to sit it out at school with vomit on your clothing? The nurse won't let the child back into class; if there's nothing which fits in the emergency bin, someone has to go there with a fresh change of clothes -- mom or dad.

A parent who tends to an ill child is being a good parent. Some parents go overboard, but then again there are those who beat their children. We all have to find that middle ground.

My children have religious ed -- this is not an 'activity' to be taken lightly.

One takes karate, the other dance. There are frequently stories about how children do not get enough excercise -- what better way to get excercise than through a sport? If a child develops the self confidence to compete in that sport, and approaches asking to compete -- what parent will tell that child, no? That's not living vicariously. Believe me, there are days I would sooner have stayed in bed as opposed to being up at 6 AM on a Saturday driving out-of-state.

My oldest is applying to colleges. He has also been on several interviews. His involvement in karate, and having achieved a black belt have made a positive impression on many of those who've interviewed him (in addition to his good grades and excellent SAT and ACT scores.)

Youngest is a GS; that's 1 every 2 weeks.

In short - 1 activity/sport 2X a week each, 1 religious commitment each, 1 community service group. I don't see where that is too much. When my oldest drives, he will be borrowing my car and helping in getting his sister around, too. We'll stay a 2 car family until it's time for college and only should he decide to go locally and commute.

Going back on topic:

I am still waiting for you to explain to me how I could have a one car household and manage to get my children where they have to be if DH has the car at a job site or while meeting a potential client?
My parents were wonderful parents but they did not baby me or comfort me or any of that crap, even when I was sick...and I turned out just fine.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:48 PM

4,698 posts, read 8,760,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Why would anyone buy a car for their kid? How will that teach them responsibility? I can see maybe helping them with a down payment. But, the kid should be responsible for the bulk of the car plus all insurance. Also, it doesn't need to be a shiny BMW either. A Toyota will do fine, and a used one at that.
I wouldn't go broadcasting that at the next GC PTA meeting...lol.

Seriously, it all depends on the kid and there are obviously many different approaches to parenting. Giving your child a car does not ensure they'll end up a spoiled loser.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:48 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,953,860 times
They should do what they do down here: Charge a personal property tax on the cars, add that with the cost of insurance.......you'll probably reduce the number of cars by 25-30%

Old 12-29-2009, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Why would anyone buy a car for their kid? How will that teach them responsibility? I can see maybe helping them with a down payment. But, the kid should be responsible for the bulk of the car plus all insurance. Also, it doesn't need to be a shiny BMW either. A Toyota will do fine, and a used one at that.
We're not agreeing on much on this thread, but we're on the same page about this. My son has been saving his money, and he will buy a used car when the time comes that borrowing is no longer a viable alternative. I have made it clear that he will be paying for his own insurance policy, too.

I see too many kids around here getting fairly nice cars from mum and dad. It really stinks when they're nicer than mine! LOL

Old 12-29-2009, 01:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike50 View Post
They should do what they do down here: Charge a personal property tax on the cars, add that with the cost of insurance.......you'll probably reduce the number of cars by 25-30%
shhhhh BigMike, like we're not taxed enough!?!?! LOL You know better

Old 12-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
My parents were wonderful parents but they did not baby me or comfort me or any of that crap, even when I was sick...and I turned out just fine.
When you were sick, your parents left you at school? Didn't tuck you into a comfy bed? They didn't make warm tea for an upset tummy? Kiss a warm forehead? Kissed a boo-boo?

Old 12-29-2009, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I wouldn't go broadcasting that at the next GC PTA meeting...lol.

Seriously, it all depends on the kid and there are obviously many different approaches to parenting. Giving your child a car does not ensure they'll end up a spoiled loser.
I don't see it as they wind up spoiled as much as I see it that a child who has to earn the money for their car might be more responsible for it.

Old 12-29-2009, 01:57 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,378,508 times
Quote:
When you were sick, your parents left you at school? Didn't tuck you into a comfy bed? They didn't make warm tea for an upset tummy? Kiss a warm forehead? Kissed a boo-boo?
Not really...they had to work so we could have a good life and not live out on the street.

Old 12-29-2009, 02:57 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,860 times
Quote:
My parents had 2 cars once they moved to the suburbs -- they lived in a neighborhood full of 1 career families. My grandparents had no cars (either set) as they were all in NYC and only the men went off to work.

Unfortunately, the Make Room for Daddy era is long ago.

I have a child with a chronic illness. Obviously, you do not. Young children tend to get upset when ill, and want to be comforted by a parent. That's part of parenting -- caring for one's child. Another thing: Vomit doesn't always make it into the toilet/bucket/sink. Would you want to sit it out at school with vomit on your clothing? The nurse won't let the child back into class; if there's nothing which fits in the emergency bin, someone has to go there with a fresh change of clothes -- mom or dad.

A parent who tends to an ill child is being a good parent. Some parents go overboard, but then again there are those who beat their children. We all have to find that middle ground.

My children have religious ed -- this is not an 'activity' to be taken lightly.

One takes karate, the other dance. There are frequently stories about how children do not get enough excercise -- what better way to get excercise than through a sport? If a child develops the self confidence to compete in that sport, and approaches asking to compete -- what parent will tell that child, no? That's not living vicariously. Believe me, there are days I would sooner have stayed in bed as opposed to being up at 6 AM on a Saturday driving out-of-state.

My oldest is applying to colleges. He has also been on several interviews. His involvement in karate, and having achieved a black belt have made a positive impression on many of those who've interviewed him (in addition to his good grades and excellent SAT and ACT scores.)

Youngest is a GS; that's 1 every 2 weeks.

In short - 1 activity/sport 2X a week each, 1 religious commitment each, 1 community service group. I don't see where that is too much. When my oldest drives, he will be borrowing my car and helping in getting his sister around, too. We'll stay a 2 car family until it's time for college and only should he decide to go locally and commute.

Going back on topic:

I am still waiting for you to explain to me how I could have a one car household and manage to get my children where they have to be if DH has the car at a job site or while meeting a potential client?
Personally, I think that is too many activities. But, that's just my opinion.

As for your car situation, I don't think it's unreasonable to have 2 cars in your situation. I never said it was. That said, if there are opportunities for you to car pool and take public transport, I'd encourage that as well to supplement the 2nd vehicle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island