Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you support an ordinance to prohibit parking in Baldwin bt 3 AM and 5 AM ?
Yes, definitely 6 35.29%
No, bad idea 9 52.94%
Not sure 2 11.76%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-29-2009, 02:59 PM

964 posts, read 2,462,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
I wouldn't go broadcasting that at the next GC PTA meeting...lol.

Seriously, it all depends on the kid and there are obviously many different approaches to parenting. Giving your child a car does not ensure they'll end up a spoiled loser.
It's doesn't ensure it, but it helps lead them in that direction.

As for GC, I don't give a damn about the PTA or what is in the GC parking lot at the High School. My kid will not be spoiled, and I'll make sure of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-29-2009, 06:06 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,757,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
It's doesn't ensure it, but it helps lead them in that direction.
again, it depends on the individuals involved. If a child is raised a certain way and is fundamentally a good kid, something like a car won't necessarily "lead them" in any direction. Not singling anyone out, but sometimes people get so wrapped up in not spoiling their kid that they end up screwing them up anyway.

Quote:
As for GC, I don't give a damn about the PTA or what is in the GC parking lot at the High School. My kid will not be spoiled, and I'll make sure of that.
relax, it was a joke...lol.

Old 12-29-2009, 06:57 PM

152 posts, read 547,795 times
Quote:
What did our parents and grandparents do when one of the kids was sick? One parent had to leave work, or you took a cab, or you got a friend to help, or you waited. The kid isn't going to die at school. I'm only 36, but I can't believe how much kids nowadays are coddled. No wonder we are raising a generation of soft and vapid children.

As for the competitions and activities, did you ever think kids actually do too MUCH nowadays? I don't want to get too far off the subject, but I personally think parents should limit kids activities much more than they do. Kids are busy enough nowadays without 5 activities a week. I also feel less activities for kids would make BETTER families...for 4 reasons:

1. Parents would have a bit more time to themselves--a healthy thing--instead of living vicariously through their kids.

2. Parents would have more time with their kids.

3. Kids would not be in such a hurry to grow up and they'd be less stressed.

4. There would be a LOT less cars on the road
You are seriously delusional if you think a school or daycare center would let you leave a sick child there. What do you think they have, MASH units set up to take care of sick kids? You better start thinking about homeschooling. And how is that fair to other kids who may need to use the nurse's office?

Further what kind of parent leaves a sick or injured kid at school instead of "coddling" them by picking them up? If you are that type of parent, please let's hear from Mrs. Azzurony.

I also see in a later post where you accuse someone of having their child oversheduled. You really think 1 activity a week plus religious ed is overscheduling? Do you really think YOU are going to dictate what the schedule should be when you have a child in an activity? I can tell you if you live in GC that if your child is involved in sports there, you can forget about having free time ever again. Again - check back in 5 or 7 years when you have more than one helpless infant.

It never ceases to amaze me how people judge parents when they haven't BTDT.

Old 12-29-2009, 07:05 PM

152 posts, read 547,795 times
Quote:

Car pooling by the way doesn't have to be reserved to work. Let's take for example 2 stay-at-home moms. Why not coordinate going grocery shopping together or doing other errands? It's simple laziness and lack of creativity not to even try.

SO you currently have 2 cars. How nice.

How feasible do you think your wife will think it is to put 2 babies in car seats, especially on days like today (if you plan on having more kids?

THe funniest part is the part about what SAHMs should do. If you have any cojones at all, you'll get your wife on here to post about how she would feel car pooling with other moms, making her schedule (and your baby's) work around other people's lives. Because I would really REALLY love to see how she thinks that might work, especially when it's 4:55 and she realizes that she doesn't have as many diapers or wipes as she thought she did, or that she's halfway into preparing dinner and is missing a crucial ingredient, and has to rely on a neighbor with 3 or 4 school age kids going in 3 or 4 different directions to help her out.

Take your wife's car away for one week and report back how it goes, and then I will agree with you - I'll even wash your car for a month.

Old 12-29-2009, 08:18 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Personally, I think that is too many activities. But, that's just my opinion.

As for your car situation, I don't think it's unreasonable to have 2 cars in your situation. I never said it was. That said, if there are opportunities for you to car pool and take public transport, I'd encourage that as well to supplement the 2nd vehicle.
Naturally you're entitled to your opinion. I believe 1 religious ed class per child, and one activity 2x/week per child is enough. I see families where children are in 3 sports, plus have private music lessons, not to mention religious ed -- that's out of control.

Public transport is not an option (time/logistics) and carpools are utilized as much as possible. When the price of gas soared, I became rather zealous about saving fuel and haven't stopped.

One would think that people who changed their driving habits during the sky high prices would have continued doing so afterward. That would have helped cut down on a few vehicles.

Old 12-30-2009, 07:55 AM

721 posts, read 1,566,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
I lived west of Broadway in RP and would push my son in his stroller up to McCarricks (the PO Boxes out back) every day. How long ago did you work there?
Wow, it was 15+ years ago now. Making me feel old!

Old 12-30-2009, 10:13 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,708,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redrunner+2 View Post
Wow, it was 15+ years ago now. Making me feel old!
And I am older! LOL

We've crossed paths...I lived there from 1991 - 1996.

Old 12-30-2009, 10:31 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brimasa View Post
SO you currently have 2 cars. How nice.

How feasible do you think your wife will think it is to put 2 babies in car seats, especially on days like today (if you plan on having more kids?

THe funniest part is the part about what SAHMs should do. If you have any cojones at all, you'll get your wife on here to post about how she would feel car pooling with other moms, making her schedule (and your baby's) work around other people's lives. Because I would really REALLY love to see how she thinks that might work, especially when it's 4:55 and she realizes that she doesn't have as many diapers or wipes as she thought she did, or that she's halfway into preparing dinner and is missing a crucial ingredient, and has to rely on a neighbor with 3 or 4 school age kids going in 3 or 4 different directions to help her out.

Take your wife's car away for one week and report back how it goes, and then I will agree with you - I'll even wash your car for a month.
You still aren't getting it. My wife has a car. We are currently in the process of selling our second car so we will only have one total. She will have the car during the day while I take the train to work.

I'm not arguing that my wife should use car pooling as her sole means of transportation. You are simply building a strawman argument when you imply such things.

What I'm saying is that, when possible, she should car pool with her friend. That doesn't mean doing it when something urgent comes up. It means scheduling common events, shopping, etc. together when possible.

By the way, if a crucial ingredient is missing, you use another or cook something else. It's not the end of the world. If you are low on wipes, use a damp tissue. This idea that you have to hop in the car for every little inconvenience is why the roads in LI are jammed.

Old 12-30-2009, 11:14 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,370,159 times
Quote:
You still aren't getting it. My wife has a car. We are currently in the process of selling our second car so we will only have one total. She will have the car during the day while I take the train to work.

I'm not arguing that my wife should use car pooling as her sole means of transportation. You are simply building a strawman argument when you imply such things.

What I'm saying is that, when possible, she should car pool with her friend. That doesn't mean doing it when something urgent comes up. It means scheduling common events, shopping, etc. together when possible.

By the way, if a crucial ingredient is missing, you use another or cook something else. It's not the end of the world. If you are low on wipes, use a damp tissue. This idea that you have to hop in the car for every little inconvenience is why the roads in LI are jammed.
I live in Long Beach. Everything I need to do within the city of Long Beach, I walk to. Everything else, I take my car if it's too far to walk.

But I'm not just gonna get in my car to go 4 blocks to the supermarket. I think that's a bit ridiculous.

Old 12-30-2009, 12:06 PM

3,122 posts, read 4,952,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I live in Long Beach. Everything I need to do within the city of Long Beach, I walk to. Everything else, I take my car if it's too far to walk.

But I'm not just gonna get in my car to go 4 blocks to the supermarket. I think that's a bit ridiculous.

Yeah that's all find and good when you're single and carrying one bag Try shopping for 6 and two dogs( 50lb bag of food), it gets kind of hard carrying 35 + bags that far
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island