Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 06:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times

Advertisements

From an earlier newscast on CBS TV News:

This was from "Cablevision has taken a very hard line on this, much to our regret," said Food Network president Brooke Johnson.

Johnson said it's a question of fairness. Her network and HGTV have increased in popularity, so their corporate parent, Scripps, is asking for an increase in subscriber fees.

By one estimate, the increase will go from 8 cents a month to 25 cents for Food Network and from 13 cents a month to 41 cents for HGTV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-05-2010, 06:11 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Cablevision has actual employees with benefits? The last 3 guys who came to my house were all contract guys.

Now what if they started sending women to your house?

Old 01-05-2010, 06:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.B. View Post
They likely have some sort of disclaimer on your bill or somewhere else saying that the packages or channels available can change without notice.

Doesn't make it right...but they can pull this nonsense whenever they want.
They've had that for many years. However many years ago, they used to notify you. They would send out letters letting you know of the new channel lineup, what was taken away, etc....

Old 01-05-2010, 06:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathyA11 View Post
That's Cablevision's standard response -- it's not them, it's YOU. We constantly had problems at one house in Bayonne. They came in and blamed the house ground. We had the house ground replaced, and the problems persisted.

We moved to another house in Bayonne, and we had different problems. They came in, looked at it, and said the problem was the wiring in our house. Funny how the people across the street had the exact same problems....

We constantly had problems with the boxes, necessitating a reset on their end. I was so glad to dump them back in 2000 for DirecTV. When I called to cancel, the rep asked me why I was canceling. I told her it was because we had satellite installed. She didn't even acknowledge my response -- just slammed the phone in my ear.
Had that problem with their internet. The cable modem wouldn't work anymore, except all the little lights would work. They said it was my computer or my wiring and they'd have to send someone out but I would get charged. I told them no thank you. The next day I brought home my parents cable modem and voila. I was able to connect to the internet. So I just packed mine up and went to their office to exchange it. When they asked how did I know it was the modem I told them that I tried my parents modem and I was able to connect to the internet. I got that "oh you mean its us" look. However they exchanged it and it was fine since.

Old 01-05-2010, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cokatie View Post
Well I finally got a reply from Cablevision from my complaint of them taking HGTV and the Food Network off the air. According to them (see below), they had NOTHING to do with it. They were as surprised as us (yeah, right). It is all the fault of Scripps. Oh, and while we are on the 8th or 9th page of people pissed off about HGTV and Food Network, notice at the bottom how they diss the HGTV ratings. You can just shake your head at this stuff ...

We will continue to bring you the best quality and value in telecommunications today and everyday.
I shortened the quote a bit. I couldn't get through your whole post without laughing. I tried and tried, but I just couldn't.

Its just like having kids. "I didn't do it. Its his fault."

Old 01-05-2010, 08:14 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,460,429 times
I know! That is exactly how I felt when I read it!

Old 01-18-2010, 11:55 AM

1,917 posts, read 5,343,094 times
I love the commercials! Both side explaining how much they care about you, their customer.
Oddly enough, Cablevision does not broadcast HGTV and raised my bill $5 per month. I guess they had to pay for those tv ads.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:18 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
I love the commercials! Both side explaining how much they care about you, their customer.
Oddly enough, Cablevision does not broadcast HGTV and raised my bill $5 per month. I guess they had to pay for those tv ads.
That and they have to keep paying Mr. 5 o'clock shadow to tell you how much Fios sucks compared to I/O.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:57 PM

2,160 posts, read 7,513,539 times
We dropped down to basic cable last week. It's like $27 a month...we kept the digital package which gives you all the channels above 100. 98% of what we watch is online anyway...so we were kind of paying twice for the same programming options.

the kicker was that Netflix will stream movies through your Wii starting in March (like they do now with a PS3).

I actually have a real question...

One thing I cannot get now is MSG to watch our beloved Rangers blow their playoff chances. Does anyone here subscribe to the NHL.com gamecenter?? If so...any opinions for or against?? Thanks!

Old 01-18-2010, 04:56 PM

1,772 posts, read 3,234,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
they also have to pay for the two dozen private helicopter flights that leave their Bethpage headquarters daily. Yeah, they really care about their customers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island