Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-04-2010, 08:15 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times

Advertisements

It is interesting that we now have dozens of Spanish language stations and they're dropping HGTV and Food network. So you can afford to pay for all of these new Spanish stations, but you can't pay for the Scripps stations. Very interesting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2010, 08:42 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
anyone else have a LONG delay when changing channels with cablevision?
especially when going from reg def to HD, or vice versa. up to 8 - 10 seconds.
sometimes it never changes at all. it just stays on a blank screen. terrible. everytime I call to ask about it i get a different answer.
could be time to make the switch.
Yes, you're not alone on that. Those are part of the perks of the new HD boxes they give out now.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:10 AM

453 posts, read 1,535,963 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Zing View Post
anyone else have a LONG delay when changing channels with cablevision?
especially when going from reg def to HD, or vice versa. up to 8 - 10 seconds.
sometimes it never changes at all. it just stays on a blank screen. terrible. everytime I call to ask about it i get a different answer.
could be time to make the switch.
We have this issue as well, and God forbid we try to use On Demand! My favorite though is the constant pixelation and stuttered pictures/sound we get on both our boxes, which have both been rebooted numerous timesand replaced. And we moved, replaced the boxes again and it still happens. Thanks Cablevision!!!

NO BBC America, NO Discovery HEALTH channel, now no HGTV or Food network.

Old 01-04-2010, 09:25 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cottercutie View Post
We have this issue as well, and God forbid we try to use On Demand! My favorite though is the constant pixelation and stuttered pictures/sound we get on both our boxes, which have both been rebooted numerous timesand replaced. And we moved, replaced the boxes again and it still happens. Thanks Cablevision!!!

NO BBC America, NO Discovery HEALTH channel, now no HGTV or Food network.
Just one piece of advice. Its how their boxes work. Nothing you do, even if its the hokey pokey, will get it to work as it really should. Shoddy programming on their part. Its not you, its not your home, its not your wiring, its THEM!

Old 01-04-2010, 09:52 AM

537 posts, read 1,448,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
Well, that's great considering that The Dolans own cablevision and MSG, so why do you think that FIOS can't get the HD verisions?

How much more low can you get than the Dolans?

Well yeah isn't that the point? If Verizon had exclusive programming, do you think they would be so quick to hand it over to Cablevision?

Besides contrary to what most people think, FIOS has barely put a dent in CV's business. From what I have heard, FIOS only took about 4% of CV's business away.

Verizon dumped a TON of money into their FIOS infrastructure, and only taking 4% of CV's market is not enough business to stay profitable. The only thing keeping Verizon (and FIOS) afloat is the strength of their wireless. Trust me when I say that CV is *not* worried if people want to leave just because of this temporary issue with Scripps.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:06 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,036,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
Well yeah isn't that the point? If Verizon had exclusive programming, do you think they would be so quick to hand it over to Cablevision?

Besides contrary to what most people think, FIOS has barely put a dent in CV's business. From what I have heard, FIOS only took about 4% of CV's business away.

Verizon dumped a TON of money into their FIOS infrastructure, and only taking 4% of CV's market is not enough business to stay profitable. The only thing keeping Verizon (and FIOS) afloat is the strength of their wireless. Trust me when I say that CV is *not* worried if people want to leave just because of this temporary issue with Scripps.
Perhaps an example of the arrogance of CV?

If they aren't worried why do they offer people who switch to FIOS the kitchen sink to get them back?

Old 01-04-2010, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Perhaps an example of the arrogance of CV?

If they aren't worried why do they offer people who switch to FIOS the kitchen sink to get them back?

Increased profit. Whether they charge someone $149 for all three services, or a promo $89.99 for all three, they are still making a profit and it's cost effective to them to offer a deal.

Their optimum voice and online services are PURE PROFIT for them. They pay next to nothing to keep these services up and running so they try to get as many subscribers to these two services as they can.

It's the TV that costs them money since they have to pay companies like Scripps to carry the channels.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:16 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
It is interesting that we now have dozens of Spanish language stations and they're dropping HGTV and Food network. So you can afford to pay for all of these new Spanish stations, but you can't pay for the Scripps stations. Very interesting.
That totally ticks me off. We are being told by Scripps that the licensing is something akin to pennies a day per subscriber; let's say that it's $1 per month per subscriber...we're giving Cable a free loan for each day we're not getting the service we are paying for. According to cinemablend.com there are 3.1 Cablevision subscribers out there. That works out to over $100,000 per day paid to CV FOR NOTHING!

As for the Spanish channels, our subscriptions are subsidizing them. Why should anyone pay any sort of licensing fee in their subscription for a language they do not understand?

I have sent the following to NYS Attorney General Andrew Cuomo:

Cablevision has a near monopoly in the Town of Brookhaven. Those of us who live in heavily-treed areas do not have the option of choosing satellite dish tv without the very costly removal of large trees. With the recent federal laws requiring digital service, aerial service is an issue.

The Town of Brookhaven has not entered into agreement with Verizon in order to bring FiOS TV into the area. The Verizon technician explained to me that the Town has placed an impossible to meet town-wide installation time frame on Verizon in order to give them the contract to provide service in the Township.

Those of us in many Town of Brookhaven towns, villages and hamlets are left with no option but Cablevision.

Recently Cablevision stopped carrying HGTV and Food Network, yet continues to collect for these channels in the monthly rate. They have also removed some channels from their family line up, while adding Spanish language channels, which are of no use to non-Spanish speaking subscribers.
In effect, non Spanish speaking subscribers are subsidizing channels they can not use
(effectively paying nmore for less) and are providing Cablevision with an interest free loan for each day the 3.1 million subscribers go without the Food Network and HGTV channels. Even if the amount is small -- i.e. $1 per subscriber per month it's approximately $100,000 per day which Cablevision is unjustly enriching itself with.

Please help us.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:24 AM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post

If/when we finally get FiOS in the Town of Brookhaven, that 4% you quote will rise substantially.

Old 01-04-2010, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post

Recently Cablevision stopped carrying HGTV and Food Network, yet continues to collect for these channels in the monthly rate.

CV will most likely offer a small rebate on your next month's bill if this problem with Scripps continues. Probably $1-2 dollars off.

When Time Warner took off MSG/Fox Sports 6 years ago, they offered a small discount on their monthly bill for these two missing channels.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island