Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2010, 02:55 PM

659 posts, read 2,516,432 times

Advertisements

I am a Cablevision triple play subscriber that is very annoyed with the dropping of the Food Network and HGTV (my 2 favorite channels). I am seriously considering switching to the Verizon Fios triple play if the channels are not restored.

My only concern is that I have heard a few negatives to Fios:

1. Internet is considerably slower than Optimum online

2. Bills are never the same with a lot of "nickle and diming"

3. Subsription prices skyrocket once the introductory offer ends (with DVR feature being quite expensive).

4. Long contracts with high terminiation fees are mandatory

I would like get some opinions from people that switched to Fios from Cablevision to see what you think before I call Fios. I am mostly concerned with the idea of slow internet (and possibly having to change my home phone number).
-Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM

16 posts, read 60,326 times
Now this is no joke....I actually received this and had to read it a few times...then it finally struck me..wow! gee! how kind of you Verizon! (holy smokes...can you believe they sent this out!?)Read to bottom..(#1.)

------------ Forwarded message ------------
Date: Dec 1, 2009
Subject: Effective November 30, 2009 - Important Information Regarding a Change to Your Verizon Online Terms Of Service
To: Valued Verizon Customer <Customer@verizon.net>

The following is an outline of an important change to the Verizon Online
Terms of Service, which is effective as of November 30, 2009. We have
described this change in general terms below and recommend that you
review the complete Terms of Service to determine how this change
applies to you or your use of the Service. The Terms of Service can be
accessed by clicking on the "Policies and Terms of Service" link
(www2.verizon.net/policies) at the bottom of any page of our Website.
The Terms of Service, as revised, will govern your rights and
obligations, and ours, with respect to your use of the Services we
offer. As set forth in Paragraph 3 of the Terms of Service, your
continued use of the Service after the effective date of this change
will constitute your agreement to the change.

1. If you are on a term plan and Verizon ceases offering service to
your location prior to the end of your term commitment, you will not
have to pay an Early Termination Fee.

Please take time to review the complete Verizon Online Terms of Service.

Old 01-01-2010, 03:26 PM

20,023 posts, read 20,831,761 times
Totally happy with FIOS.
Much more bang for your buck.
My billing after the first few months has been consistant.
There are a few upfront charges that they spread out over the first few bills.
Internet is better, I don't care what anybody says. I noticed a huge difference over optimum.
Verizon gets hit with some extra taxes that Cable does not, and they obviously pass that on to you, I don't see it as big deal.
After the contract is up, they gladly play let's make a deal and give the same rate as before, sometimes better.
If you quit before contract is up, and go back to Cable, Cable pays the termination fee.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:10 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
1) I do not notice any difference on internet speed. Internet is slow for us but I suspect an aging computer is partially to blame

2) 100% true. Customer service is absolutely atrocious - if you need to call about something (anything) you will NEVER - NEVER - have your issue resolved by the first person you speak with, AND you will almost always have to hang up and call another number. Dealing with Verizon is a Kafka-esque adventure in the truest sense of the term. I keep customer service numbers for companies that I do business with in my personal phonebook so that I don't have to hunt them down when I need to make a call - I am up to 5 (FIVE) numbers for Verizon.

3) Yes.

4) Yes, however Cablevision will supposedly help you get out of the contract and pay the termination fee, an option I plan on exploring at the opening of business on Monday January 4.

We are done with Fios.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:21 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,139,412 times
I would explore Dish Network if I were you and invest in Magic Jack as a cheap alternative to monthly phone bills.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:25 PM
LIR

77 posts, read 295,144 times
I have had FiOS tv for 2 years now, and upgraded to the Triple Play package 1.5 years ago. I have not had any complaints. Not ONCE has the cable gone out. Here are my experiences with your questions:

1. Internet is considerably slower than Optimum online. I never had Optimum internet, so I can't compare it. However, I find FiOS to be faster than my connection at work. I did not get the fastest package.

2. Bills are never the same with a lot of "nickle and diming." My bill has been $129 (give or take a few cents) the entire time. It is different by just a few cents, always due to taxes/fees. I pay for 2 HD boxes and 2 cable cards for my TiVo, plus the standard Triple Play package deal.

3. Subsription prices skyrocket once the introductory offer ends (with DVR feature being quite expensive). I have yet to see a price increase. Once a year, they send an updated terms of service which mentions the potential for them to raise prices, but it hasn't happend to me yet.

4. Long contracts with high terminiation fees are mandatory. I don't even recall a contract, but if there was, it might have been for a year.

I would like get some opinions from people that switched to Fios from Cablevision to see what you think before I call Fios. I am mostly concerned with the idea of slow internet (and possibly having to change my home phone number). They will transfer over your home phone number, no charge, no problem. I believe there is a law that says your current carrier must release your number to your new carrier.

As someone else mentioned, Verizon's customer service is not great. However, the only times I've ever had to call customer service is when one of the HD boxes was acting up and when the router died. In both cases, the automated system walked me through some potential fixes first, then connected me to a rep who talked me through a few more fixes. When those didn't work, they sent a replacement box/router via UPS within a day or two.

Overall, I love FiOS, and would not go back to Cablevision even if they were cheaper. Also, the OP mentioned that you love HGTV and Food Network the best. FiOS has those, plus the DIY network, Fine Living Network, plus Veria (a healthy lifestyles network). Does Cablevision offer those? If not, given your tastes you would like FiOS better.

Old 01-01-2010, 04:52 PM

22,665 posts, read 36,775,030 times
Forgot to mention as pp did, Federal Law allows you to port your phone number.

Verizon charges for 411 service, which is really one of those "little things" that just gets under my skin.

Last edited by twingles; 01-01-2010 at 05:17 PM..

Old 01-01-2010, 05:49 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,320,316 times
I have had ZERO problems. TV is of much better quality and a much better channel lineup. On demand is lightyears ahead of cablevision. No outages. No pixelation. Internet is also much faster than Optimum, especially uploads. Phone is crystal clear. I have found customer service to be excellent and much better than cable. They even gave me 3 free month trial of HBO and Cinemax, as a Christmas gift! Since when did cablevision ever do that?
So I dont get Free 411, who needs that anyway when you can look up phone numbers easily on the internet? I think anyone who thinks Cablevision is better than Verizon Fios has at least one screw loose, or they got a bad installation.

Old 01-01-2010, 05:49 PM

405 posts, read 1,770,041 times
We will be switching to Fios when we move next month. I already spoke w/a rep IN PERSON who outlined precisely what my bill would be for months 1-3, 4-6 and 7-12. While YES, it is going to be different for each of those time periods, I now understand why and it all makes perfect sense based on various promotions, etc. and the timing of those. They were also able to give me amounts including all taxes and fees, so no surprises there either. It is a one-year contract that I was quoted. Per the rep, your fees will go up (in my case, $10 total) once you go out of contract, but (as a previous posted mentioned) would go back down once you renewed and therefore were eligible for the latest promotional rate.

Besides... you want to talk customer service? Since April, we've been through THREE DVR boxes with Cablevision. Three. And each time, we had to wait several days before a tech could come out to replace the stupid thing... in one case, only to find out that the tech didn't even HAVE a box in his truck and that we'd need to reschedule again. I think customer service sucks pretty much across the board these days, so that issue certainly isn't going to scare me away from Verizon.

Old 01-02-2010, 01:07 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,295,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancet71 View Post
I would explore Dish Network if I were you and invest in Magic Jack as a cheap alternative to monthly phone bills.
Then what do you do for internet service? I don't want to go to some crappy dialup and isn't that all there is on Long Island unless you have Cablevision or Verizon?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island