Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2007, 06:17 PM

1,058 posts, read 3,487,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
No need to issue yellow stars: just do what us Jews do when checking out a neighborhood at this time of the year, drive around and you'll quickly see which of the neighborhoods in the 293 communities (2 cities, 96 villages and 195 hamlets) in the bi-counties DO NOT HAVE CHRISTIAN HOLIDAY LIGHTS.

However, while this is a good indicator of predominantly Jewish neighborhoods, it will not be any guidance as to whether the Jews in that neighborhood are secular or Torah observant, bearing in mind that the majority of Jews on LI are secular and not Torah observant and can be quite intolerant to their more observant brethren.
Good Thinking.

Unorthodox and at best imprecise methodoligies have to be used to estimate where various religious groups might live because the US Census Bureau does not collect religious data.

I don't knnow why I'm cathching flak for just listing areas where there may be higher proportion of Jews on Long Island by approximation to clusters of Jewish temples.

What is the big deal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2007, 06:11 AM

123 posts, read 647,238 times
I think only Orthodox Jews walk to shul these days, but I could be wrong. If someone was looking for a concentration of Orthodox Jews, a good idea would be to drive around an area on a Saturday. You will see folks walking to services or just out for a stroll.

If you are more of a secular Jew, you could follow WalterGreenspan's suggestion. I might just look up the various churches in a community. The websites might give an idea of the communities' size, how active it is etc. I've done this several times. I'm not all that worried about religious makeup, but it's interesting to see what's available to a town.

Old 11-28-2007, 07:55 AM

4 posts, read 5,595 times
Talking Woodbury Is Great ! Not too many homes mostly condos.

Yes jewish Syossett schools.

But I live in Long Beach. Its great as well !

You might like five towns

Old 11-28-2007, 08:55 AM

1,590 posts, read 1,667,504 times
Quote:
However, while this is a good indicator of predominantly Jewish neighborhoods, it will not be any guidance as to whether the Jews in that neighborhood are secular or Torah observant, bearing in mind that the majority of Jews on LI are secular and not Torah observant and can be quite intolerant to their more observant brethren.
I've heard the same thing...along with a lot of casual anti-semitism. This does not offend me personally, though it does seem of a piece with the sort of intolerance and xenophobia one encounters out here.

I'm also miffed (as a chemist, not as a Jew) that the LI library system doesn't have a single book by Primo Levi.

Old 12-09-2007, 06:12 PM

33 posts, read 255,421 times
Default Wrong Woodbury

Quote:
Originally Posted by lplace1145 View Post
I have a siuster who lives in woodbury. She has two small children and is not happy with the public school system there. They do not offer any after school activities. Kids from 6th grade are housed with high school seniors. Her taxes are slightly over 8,000. Her family is looking to move out of woodbury.
That is not the Woodbury on Long Island. That may be a place in upstate NY or in NJ.

Woodbury on Long Island (zip code 11797) has one of the nations top school districts (we will ignore the US New and World Report and focus on the US Education Dept.) and has 2 middle schools 6-8th grade and one HS (9-12).

Old 12-11-2007, 06:05 PM

8 posts, read 40,541 times
Quote:
Jewish population is predominantly secular and, like its sister hamlets of Syosset and Jericho, not very welcoming to Torah observant.
hi there my name is kelli i live in syosset
syosset is a very good area to live in
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island