Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2010, 10:54 PM

55 posts, read 176,926 times

Advertisements

I purchased a Brinks hard wired system. I've never had a false alarm and never worried about replacing a battery.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2010, 10:47 AM

39 posts, read 129,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Ordered Napco system this week after my next door neighbor's home was broken into at 10:30 am last Monday.
Ordered on Tuesday, arrived via UPS yesterday and hubby and friend are installing tomorrow.
We are alarming 3 doors and 8 windows = $522 including tax and delivery.
Our friend has had this alarm for one year and is very happy with it. No problems.

what was the model that you bought?

Old 03-15-2010, 09:07 PM

294 posts, read 879,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ricardomreyes View Post
what was the model that you bought?
Not sure what model (and frankly not sure that info is something I'd offer even if I knew it ;-) ), but we ordered it by # of doors and windows. And set it up to call our cells phones if it goes off (we both work fairly close to home). My neighbor has his set to call his cell whenever it is turned on or off (dogwalker's hours are checked this way).

So far, so good.....

Old 03-17-2010, 04:19 PM

39 posts, read 129,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeFinder15 View Post
Not sure what model (and frankly not sure that info is something I'd offer even if I knew it ;-) ), but we ordered it by # of doors and windows. And set it up to call our cells phones if it goes off (we both work fairly close to home). My neighbor has his set to call his cell whenever it is turned on or off (dogwalker's hours are checked this way).

So far, so good.....

NIce, i will definitely get one for sure.

Old 03-17-2010, 09:25 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,520,065 times
I mean really what do you want to spend and what's your situation? Hardwired is of course better but for an existing home it's a fortune to install. If you're looking for a basic alarm system (keypad, door sensors, motion detector, maybe a smoke alarm), all of the major brands use wireless now (although the smoke alarm, siren and keypad are typically hardwired no matter what - in fact I think the smoke alarm has to be by code). The sensors use batteries good for about 5 years and will report to the keypad when they are running low.

Most of the big companies (ADT etc.) will charge a monthly maintenance fee that includes free battery replacement, so you just call them when the batteries die and they send over someone to replace them for free.

Viz. interference, most systems use spread spectrum that shouldn't have any interference. Each sensor has a serial number that must be physically input into the system so that they are coded to work with the system.

So if you're building a house or doing major remodeling, go with wired. If not, wireless is just about as good for far less.

Old 03-18-2010, 09:29 PM

200 posts, read 618,632 times
To compare the price of wireless equipment next to labor for a wired system
is very close to the same, wireless radio's are very costly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island