Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-14-2010, 02:56 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,575 times

Advertisements

Can you give me a rough estimate of how much will it cost to add about 400 sq ft over 2 car garage ? It will be a Master bedroom with walk in closet and full bathroom.

I just need a ballpark. I don't know if the garage has the right load bearing beams for the proposed addition, but lets consider both scenarios. I heard that the cost varies by location... example east coast vs south or west coast etc etc.... googling gives me approx $50k based on $125 per sq. ft.
Has anyone here done it ?

TIA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-14-2010, 03:13 PM

456 posts, read 1,428,284 times
I'd say roughly between $50-$60,000, and that may be a little low still. I just had an 850 sq ft done, the shell alone cost me $72,000. Factor in electrical, plumbing, siding, sheetrocking, etc. and it adds up. The best way to find out is to get plans drawn up and let the bidding begin. Get a lot of bids and don't necessarily go with the lowest guy.

Old 01-14-2010, 06:56 PM

292 posts, read 820,030 times
$125 sq/ft sounds pretty low to me. Plus the bathroom will skyrocket your taxes.

You'll also have to sheetrock your garage to meet fire code.

I'm thinking more like $80K.

Old 01-14-2010, 09:20 PM

Wow amazing ! I could have purchased a 4br house for 40-50k more.... looks like its better to buy a house with 4 br rather than a 3br and then expand when necessary.

Old 01-15-2010, 07:41 AM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
It really is hard to say there are so many variables. are you a ranch, colonial, or cape? Is there a hallway that dead ends by the garage, or do you have to reconfigure the current upstairs space? Is the plumbing anywhere near there? My gut tells me $50K if there isn't any problems with those things and you don't want upscale.

yes, it is generally cheaper to buy what you want rather than renovate and add space. your garage sheetrock is the least of your problems

Old 01-15-2010, 08:25 AM

22,668 posts, read 36,779,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Wow amazing ! I could have purchased a 4br house for 40-50k more.... looks like its better to buy a house with 4 br rather than a 3br and then expand when necessary.
True...but at least when you do it, it will be brand new and just the way YOU want it.

Old 01-15-2010, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
It really is hard to say there are so many variables. are you a ranch, colonial, or cape? Is there a hallway that dead ends by the garage, or do you have to reconfigure the current upstairs space? Is the plumbing anywhere near there? My gut tells me $50K if there isn't any problems with those things and you don't want upscale.

yes, it is generally cheaper to buy what you want rather than renovate and add space. your garage sheetrock is the least of your problems
Its a colonial. Hallway upstairs ends in a wall right above the garage. Bath upstairs is adjacent to the garage (the new living space will share a wall with the existing bath upstairs), so I'm guessing plumbing is there too.
From what I see, mainly its the conversion of the space into living space and fixing the garage attic (where I see wires running here and there). I know there are a lot of variables and I appreciate your help to get me a ballpark figure. If you need specifics just ask me and I'll be more than happy to tell you more about the layouts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twingles View Post
True...but at least when you do it, it will be brand new and just the way YOU want it.
Well currently I have no issues with the 3 br's I have. Moreover I couldn't afford the extra 50k for a 4br house anyway, but I was just looking into it maybe 4-5 yrs down the line, if you know what I mean.

Old 01-15-2010, 02:04 PM

1,386 posts, read 5,345,121 times
I'm not a contractor, so take my guess for whatever its worth. I would think gut feeling is $40-$50K. You'd have to get a contractor to look at it to really tell.

It sounds like you have the best of all situations as far as adding one.

Old 01-15-2010, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisk327 View Post
I'm not a contractor, so take my guess for whatever its worth. I would think gut feeling is $40-$50K. You'd have to get a contractor to look at it to really tell.

It sounds like you have the best of all situations as far as adding one.
Thanks for your estimate Chris, no problem.

Old 01-19-2010, 02:04 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,800,500 times
Years ago and a second child later we looked into remodeling vs moving. We ended up moving as we found a house with a big yard and the downpayment was less than the remodel would have cost.

Our master is over the garage. two things ; one our master is the coldest room in the house ; also the biggest. The closets are freezing in the winter.
Good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: