Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2010, 02:28 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times

Advertisements

Wife & I left LI 5 1/2 yrs ago and and moved to Traverse City. Beautiful place to live with snowy winters and perfect summers. We miss the food & family but nothing else
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2010, 02:37 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,098,208 times
All the ex-NYers are now in the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary) area of North Carolina.

They think all the hype from years past "Best Place to Live" etc.) is true. It isn't.

Unemployment is high here.

LB (formerly of Rochester, NY)

Old 01-16-2010, 02:48 PM

5,265 posts, read 16,592,671 times
^^ true. Actually we came back to Rochester, NY after nearly 13 years in the Raleigh area because it was being taken over by long islanders moving down there looking for cheap paradise and whatever else. We didn't like where the area was gong. Plus we missed family and our hometown obviously.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:03 PM

93,350 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Charlotte, NC seems to be where a lot of people are moving to.

It's bible belt. I don't care cheap it is. I do not want to live with uber-religious bible-worshippers.
It's not that bad and you are right about Charlotte being a hot spot for NYers from around the state. Same with Raleigh and the Tidewater/Hampton Roads area of Virginia. Upstate SC(Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson) is another area where NYers are moving to.

Actually, the state's population has grown a bit over the last 10 years due to immigration and there are still some people from other states that still move to NY.

Old 01-16-2010, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
Wife & I left LI 5 1/2 yrs ago and and moved to Traverse City. Beautiful place to live with snowy winters and perfect summers. We miss the food & family but nothing else
You should have just moved Upstate to somewhere like Sackets Harbor, Plattsburgh, Alexandria Bay, etc.....

Old 01-16-2010, 06:48 PM

939 posts, read 2,681,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
You should have just moved Upstate to somewhere like Sackets Harbor, Plattsburgh, Alexandria Bay, etc.....
They do not have the natural beauty of this area, by a longshot. ALL fresh water

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...a%3DN%26um%3D1

Old 01-16-2010, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
They do not have the natural beauty of this area, by a longshot.
Are you sure?

http://www.sacketsharborny.com/
http://www.alexbay.org/ , http://www.alexandria-bay.ny.us/
http://www.cityofplattsburgh.com/ , http://www.northcountrychamber.com/

There are others too. Traverse City is very nice though. Kind of like Saratoga Springs, but on a bay.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 01-16-2010 at 07:02 PM..

Old 01-17-2010, 08:19 AM

20,050 posts, read 20,861,844 times
Plattsburgh area is awesome. My cuz went to school up there and we would visit every once in a while.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:56 AM

160 posts, read 564,802 times
They're following the money.
New York's federal taxes (and NJ's, and most other Northeast states') flow out of the state and into the South, to places like the Carolinas, Alabama and Louisiana. Those places, in turn, use that extra money to give tax breaks to businesses that relocate there, attracted by the lower wage rates. Think the car plants in Alabama and Kentucky.
http://www.taxfoundation.org/files/fedspend_per_taxesbystate-20071009.pdf (broken link)
And with manufacturing jobs leaving places like Buffalo, NY State has raised property taxes, which makes the place less attractive.
Couple that with the warm winters in the south, and Northerners have lots of enticements to leave. Like a lot of things, it comes down to money, and how we allow our government to spend it.

Old 01-17-2010, 10:10 AM

8,679 posts, read 15,270,611 times
I moved back to Long Island in 2007 after 23 years in the D.C./northern Virginia area. Lots of people from the Island are down there now.

Alas, I can't say I'm really enjoying being back here. A lot has changed, and not necessarily in a good way.

I wouldn't recommend Florida. My sister moved down there about two years ago. She hasn't been able to find a job (dental assistant -- apparently if you're a health care worker down there you're useless unless you speak Spanish), and she says not only are they behind in law (still legal to drive while holding a cell phone, etc.), the racial tension there is worse than on Long Island. Having lived in the D.C. area for so long and therefore noticing how bad the racial tension on Long Island is, I can't imagine what it's like in Florida if she says it's worse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island