Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 09:10 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,942,478 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The house on Long Island for $275,000 last July would have probably been higher in 2007 when you bought your home or when your neighbor bought her home 6 months after you also in 2007. Where was this house on Long Island? If it is in Suffolk or somewhere in eastern Long Island, of course it is going to be cheaper. What condition is it and what neighborhood? Was your house relatively new or updated? There are so many variables when it come to pricing.

She's talking about the house I bought. It's in mint condition in Levittown, 4 bedrooms. It was that cheap because it was a short sale.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 11:30 PM

8,030 posts, read 9,054,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Here is the one reason why people are moving to Texas. You can buy 5 bedroom house for around $250K. You can't buy any thing in Long Island with that money.

20107 Redwick Ct, Spring, TX 77388 - HAR.com
Sort of deceiving.... Spring TX is out in the boonies, not close to much and borders a rough area north of Houston. That's reflected in the price. Always a catch, isn't there?

From the same website, homes in better areas and closer into Houston

5658 Sugar Hill Dr, Houston, TX 77056 - HAR.com

1851 Columbia St, Houston, TX 77008 - HAR.com

4407 Acacia St, Bellaire, TX 77401 - HAR.com

3418 Rice, West University, TX 77005 - HAR.com

And in the burbs more desirable than Spring TX

13715 Pebblebrook Dr, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com

6814 Arborwood, Sugar Land, TX 77478 - HAR.com

315 Keswick, Sugar Land, TX 77478 - HAR.com

1627 Corniche Street, League City, TX 77573 - HAR.com

7 Margaux Way, The Woodlands, TX 77382 - HAR.com

Gives you an idea....

Old 01-21-2010, 03:30 AM

32 posts, read 71,113 times
Hello from Oxnard. Moved here from NYC a year ago, after many years in NYC. It's a different world, and after a year I'm still fascinated. Year-round glorious weather...hummingbirds in the honeysuckle...magnificent gardens...songbirds, doves, seagulls, palm trees. Fabulous Pacific beaches only a few miles from my house. Mostly Hispanic, so job-seekers often need to know Spanish, but nearby Ventura and other towns not. So laid-back, friendly, warm. Ventura downtown is like a paradise version of Greenwich Village. Ojai, a much smaller town inland, is just plain incredible, though expensive. If you can get work hereabouts or in LA or Santa Barbara, the time to buy real estate is NOW.

Good luck to all.

Old 01-21-2010, 11:37 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,038,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
That house looks like something a "moderately" successful rapper would rent out for a weekend and pretend to live in on MTV Cribs. I bet you can even work out a deal with that RE Agent (whose headshot looks like he's been up smoking ice for a week straight) where you toss him an extra G and get to rent a Lime Green Lamborghini Murcielago, 30 pounds of cubic zirconia and several Scarface wall posters for a couple days.

Do people really see stuff like that and have to pick their jaws up off the floor? I'm sorry but I'm just not feeling that style at all. How come all modern suburbs look like the architectural equivalent of racing stripes, gold rims and a 3' spoiler on a Geo Metro? If this is where people from LI are relocating, that means Darwin was right and we're just getting stronger and smarter in the NY Metro.

Funny stuff.

Thing is, though, go to that same zip code, and put into realtor.com that you want .5 acres or more, for the same $$.

What you get is a 1970-1990 house, not nearly as gawdy but still big by LI standards, with some mature trees around it, a beautiful outdoor barbecue area in a highly rated school district. I'm not about to up and go to Texas, but I do have relatives in the area, and Austin is an attractive "progressive-ish" city that I would consider living in. That's if my wife weren't on the LI teacher gravy train.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:26 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,664,680 times
Default My daughter's house was a short sale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
The house on Long Island for $275,000 last July would have probably been higher in 2007 when you bought your home or when your neighbor bought her home 6 months after you also in 2007. Where was this house on Long Island? If it is in Suffolk or somewhere in eastern Long Island, of course it is going to be cheaper. What condition is it and what neighborhood? Was your house relatively new or updated? There are so many variables when it come to pricing.
It is in very good condition, but small. It is still bigger than what I have in Florida; including her property. I can literally reach out and touch my neighbors. Like 5 feet between houses..Right now? I couldn't GIVE my house away for $175,000, even on a pond on a golf course. It was built in 2002. My daughter's was built in the 1950s, but the fact remains that the ECONOMY is stronger in NY than Florida, Where I live the unemployment rate is about 13%. What is unemployment in Nassau county?????

The fact remains that NY still has a lot more going for it than Florida the land of sun, hot weather, retirees, and tourists, AND no jobs, and 3rd hightest in the country in foreclosures.

Sunshine won't pay your mortgage or put food on your table. According to latest trends, more people are leaving than moving in now. Add me to that list.

Old 01-21-2010, 04:31 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samnyc View Post
Here is the one reason why people are moving to Texas. You can buy 5 bedroom house for around $250K. You can't buy any thing in Long Island with that money.

20107 Redwick Ct, Spring, TX 77388 - HAR.com
You can in Upstate NY though......

Old 01-21-2010, 04:35 PM

93,389 posts, read 124,009,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter B View Post
FYI, metro Dallas has probably the most healthy economy in the country. It is not a land of $10.00 an hour jobs like other depressed parts of our country. Dallas is rocking. Real estate-wise, probably more bang for the buck then anywhere else. The thing is, if you have a 3000 sq ft home, you'll pay $500.00+ per month to cool it from June thru August.
Spring is outside of Houston, not Dallas. Just saying......

Old 01-22-2010, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sxrckr View Post
Sort of deceiving.... Spring TX is out in the boonies, not close to much and borders a rough area north of Houston. That's reflected in the price. Always a catch, isn't there?

From the same website, homes in better areas and closer into Houston

5658 Sugar Hill Dr, Houston, TX 77056 - HAR.com

1851 Columbia St, Houston, TX 77008 - HAR.com

4407 Acacia St, Bellaire, TX 77401 - HAR.com

3418 Rice, West University, TX 77005 - HAR.com

And in the burbs more desirable than Spring TX

13715 Pebblebrook Dr, Houston, TX 77079 - HAR.com

6814 Arborwood, Sugar Land, TX 77478 - HAR.com

315 Keswick, Sugar Land, TX 77478 - HAR.com

1627 Corniche Street, League City, TX 77573 - HAR.com

7 Margaux Way, The Woodlands, TX 77382 - HAR.com

Gives you an idea....

It borders a rough area North of Houston? Hewlitt is 5 miles from some of the worst neighborhoods in NYC.

Spring is 25 miles from Downtown Houston, I'm assuming that's a 40-60 minute commute.

A 40-60 minute commute from NYC is in Nassau county where 225K might buy you a 1 bedroom condo. It's all relative.

The thing everything talks about on LI are the schools. The HS that first house attends is an 8 on Greatschools.com, which is comparable to very good school districts on LI. Of course that's one website and yes the house is in what most people call the "ex-burbs"..although the exburbs in the NY metro area are TWO HOURS from Manhattan, but whatever.

Yes, there is a catch, I'm assuming that the catch with the 225-250K house in a good SD in Spring is that there isn't much around and it's a pain to get into downtown. Half of the people on LI never go to NYC anyway.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:46 AM

1,302 posts, read 3,306,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dman72 View Post
It borders a rough area North of Houston? Hewlitt is 5 miles from some of the worst neighborhoods in NYC.

Spring is 25 miles from Downtown Houston, I'm assuming that's a 40-60 minute commute.

A 40-60 minute commute from NYC is in Nassau county where 225K might buy you a 1 bedroom condo. It's all relative.

The thing everything talks about on LI are the schools. The HS that first house attends is an 8 on Greatschools.com, which is comparable to very good school districts on LI. Of course that's one website and yes the house is in what most people call the "ex-burbs"..although the exburbs in the NY metro area are TWO HOURS from Manhattan, but whatever.

Yes, there is a catch, I'm assuming that the catch with the 225-250K house in a good SD in Spring is that there isn't much around and it's a pain to get into downtown. Half of the people on LI never go to NYC anyway.
I would probably defer to the Texan's account of the locale...just sayin'. It does not appear to be a strongly desired area to live relative to other areas, and the price reflects that. Greatschools is very subjective. A 6 on Long Island could be an 8 in Texas or vice versa. I do recall reading a recent businessweek article regarding the strength of the Texas economy noth around Dallas and Houston (energy companies, etc).

I think this is the 100000000000000 thread regarding Long Island is overpriced and here is a link to someplace else where you can buy half the city for the cost of a long island tax bill...

Aside from cost I think that LI simply doesn't do new business and young professional housing well. If we could become the center of something other than lawyers, accountants, civil service, real estate professionals and Manhattan-supported regional offices then expensive or not, it could become a desirous place to be post-college.

Old 01-22-2010, 08:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrprofess View Post
I would probably defer to the Texan's account of the locale...just sayin'. It does not appear to be a strongly desired area to live relative to other areas, and the price reflects that. Greatschools is very subjective. A 6 on Long Island could be an 8 in Texas or vice versa. I do recall reading a recent businessweek article regarding the strength of the Texas economy noth around Dallas and Houston (energy companies, etc).

I think this is the 100000000000000 thread regarding Long Island is overpriced and here is a link to someplace else where you can buy half the city for the cost of a long island tax bill...

Aside from cost I think that LI simply doesn't do new business and young professional housing well. If we could become the center of something other than lawyers, accountants, civil service, real estate professionals and Manhattan-supported regional offices then expensive or not, it could become a desirous place to be post-college.
The Texan is not comparing apples to apples listing 480-2.5 million dollar homes. This is another house in one of the areas they mentioned.

This is a $600K house on LI

318 Longview Dr, Sugar Land, TX, 77478 - MLS #63745 - Single Family Home real estate - REALTOR.com®

Yes, a short sale, but there is plenty on there in Sugarland for 300K. The previous poster was listing houses with 4 car detached brick garages for Christmas sake. That stuff is over 1 million here too. We're talking about house for regular folks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island