Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 10:14 AM

1,695 posts, read 3,044,251 times

Advertisements

I happen to live in Roslyn (but no kids in school there - they were grown before I moved here), so maybe I can offer you my Observations.
I can tell you that driving around Roslyn Heights at Xmas time I see LOTS of Christmas decorations on the houses. When I pass the school during the day I see groups of kids of all ethnicities - Together. It is not at all unusual for example to see mixed couples holding hands, diverse groups of guys rough-housing, kids with spiked hair & lots of body piercings, etc.
It may not be the most diverse student body on LI, but it does not appear, on the surface, to be a place where religious practices is an issue as to who the kids will be friends with.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2010, 09:37 AM

964 posts, read 2,462,542 times
What's wrong with Jews that are observant and want their kids to associate with other observant Jews? They aren't hurting anyone. They are simply trying to preserve their faith and culture and pass it along to other generations. Frankly, as someone who is Catholic, I think other cultures/faiths should do more of this.

Real diversity comes from choice and the ability to have other faiths and cultures preserved over time, rather than some generic melting pot where no one stands for anything. How boring is that.

There are groups and clans in every school district. Are you going to avoid the New Hyde Park school district because of the large Indian population there that sticks together?

Roslyn is a great area. There will be people there that are welcoming and some that are not. You simply make the best of what you find and try to meet good people with shared common values.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:08 PM

416 posts, read 697,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
What's wrong with Jews that are observant and want their kids to associate with other observant Jews? They aren't hurting anyone. They are simply trying to preserve their faith and culture and pass it along to other generations. Frankly, as someone who is Catholic, I think other cultures/faiths should do more of this.

Real diversity comes from choice and the ability to have other faiths and cultures preserved over time, rather than some generic melting pot where no one stands for anything. How boring is that.

There are groups and clans in every school district. Are you going to avoid the New Hyde Park school district because of the large Indian population there that sticks together?

Roslyn is a great area. There will be people there that are welcoming and some that are not. You simply make the best of what you find and try to meet good people with shared common values.
This is coming from the same guy who thinks "italian" Americans (who are about as italian as the taco I had for lunch today) acting like fools when italy won the world cup is a good thing

Realdiversity is not shunning others to preserve culture. If you can't preserve your culture without treating other people like dirt, then your culture isn't worth preserving in the first place.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walter Greenspan View Post
It's been my sorry experience that non-observant, secular Jews would be the first to complain, and do so very loudly, if a school district were to re-schedule events because these events occurred on Shabbat.
Mine too... thankfully some folks out there do have a brain.

Old 01-19-2010, 12:17 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
If you guys want to see REAL shunning of cultures come to the south shore of Nassau

Old 01-19-2010, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayfouroh View Post
If you guys want to see REAL shunning of cultures come to the south shore of Nassau
Can you elaborate?

Old 01-19-2010, 03:02 PM

3,939 posts, read 8,972,586 times
In my neck of the woods (5 towns) if you aren't of a specific religion/culture you are treated a lot differently than if you were part of that culture.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
This is coming from the same guy who thinks "italian" Americans (who are about as italian as the taco I had for lunch today) acting like fools when italy won the world cup is a good thing

Realdiversity is not shunning others to preserve culture. If you can't preserve your culture without treating other people like dirt, then your culture isn't worth preserving in the first place.
Please, I never said wannabe bandwagon Italians are great, but it's better than nothing. Perhaps if they take some pride in where they came from that will be a spark for them (or their children) to be more a part of their culture.

No one said treating people like "dirt" was ok, but that's not my experience in Roslyn. Just people various Jews want to associate with people of their own kind doesn't mean they treat others as "dirt".

Besides, why do you feel the need to be accepted and loved by everyone? If some faction doesn't want me because I'm Italian, then so be it. Life goes on. Find people who share your common values and live life.

Old 01-20-2010, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by azzurrony View Post
Please, I never said wannabe bandwagon Italians are great, but it's better than nothing. Perhaps if they take some pride in where they came from that will be a spark for them (or their children) to be more a part of their culture.

No one said treating people like "dirt" was ok, but that's not my experience in Roslyn. Just people various Jews want to associate with people of their own kind doesn't mean they treat others as "dirt".

Besides, why do you feel the need to be accepted and loved by everyone? If some faction doesn't want me because I'm Italian, then so be it. Life goes on. Find people who share your common values and live life.
I think the real issue is that it seems only *certain* groups have the priviledge of shunning others to preserve their culture. When other's do it, it's considered racism/ethnocentrism/prejudice.

Old 01-20-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
I think the real issue is that it seems only *certain* groups have the priviledge of shunning others to preserve their culture. When other's do it, it's considered racism/ethnocentrism/prejudice.
Now, here you are on to something. It is definitely true that we have different standards in this country. Not only are certain groups afforded extra legal protections, but they are also given the benefit of the doubt in societal questions such as these.

That said, I still think people have the right to assemble and associate in groups where they share common values or traits, even if that means others are excluded.

If a bunch of Greek families in Hempstead want to have their lives revolve around St. Pauls by sharing language, food, culture etc. with other Greek families, then so be it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island