Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 06:04 AM

85 posts, read 232,891 times

Advertisements

Don't get me wrong I feel awful about what the people of Haiti are going through with all these earthquakes. But what I don't understand is that if we are in a recession still where is this money that is being sent coming from?With all the cuts that Paterson wants to implement how is there any money for overseas causes? Isn't this what Nato is for?

Old 01-20-2010, 06:44 AM

20,013 posts, read 20,696,807 times
I've been thinking the same thing. It annoys me, we have enough of our own problems in this country, but everybody drops what they're doing to help another nation that could in all honesty, give a damn less about the U.S.
All of a sudden everybody is so compassionate and charitable.
Why not text a donation to the help the out of work Americans fund? Because there isn't one. We are in a recession, this country is totally screwed up right now, and everybody can all of a sudden start throwing around money and food, clothes, etc...
Look at Louisiana. Took us days after Katrina to get the recovery ball rolling, yet within hours after the quake, we were all over helping out Haiti. And it's still a mess down in LA. Pretty sad. Where is Bono and Sting with the help the unemployed Americans benefit concert? It's a total joke. Whatever.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:22 AM

416 posts, read 696,628 times
How about Nassau County sending 10 police officers /detectives with family in Haiti down there in full uniform to assist.

I'm sorry, but I wonder if we would still be sending this guys down there if they didn't have any connection to Haiti whatsoever. And I'm sure these guys are getting paid to go there.... and if God-forbid any of them get hurt - who's making that payout?

This is what the federal government is for. Nassau County is doing a favor to their police force members of Haitian decent and trying to look good at the expense of the county. Let the federal government and the military handle these things.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:37 AM

131 posts, read 609,437 times
Regardless of what you guys posted, I am sure you helped in some way or will help. These people have nothing. It's times like these where you should really be proud to be an American.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:42 AM

6,385 posts, read 13,123,473 times
Maybe it was the president? Just maybe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I've been thinking the same thing. It annoys me, we have enough of our own problems in this country, but everybody drops what they're doing to help another nation that could in all honesty, give a damn less about the U.S.
All of a sudden everybody is so compassionate and charitable.
Why not text a donation to the help the out of work Americans fund? Because there isn't one. We are in a recession, this country is totally screwed up right now, and everybody can all of a sudden start throwing around money and food, clothes, etc...
Look at Louisiana. Took us days after Katrina to get the recovery ball rolling, yet within hours after the quake, we were all over helping out Haiti. And it's still a mess down in LA. Pretty sad. Where is Bono and Sting with the help the unemployed Americans benefit concert? It's a total joke. Whatever.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:43 AM

12,769 posts, read 18,325,203 times
I just want to throw this out there and say kudos to Israel. I am jewish and have been to Israel and it's amazing place! They have set up a hospital in Haiti to help the victims. I think that's great...for a country that is constantly @ war, to give up fighting for its own cause...and go help another.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:49 AM

For once we agree. lol. But all joking aside, its great what they are doing down there.
Listen folks...its not like here where there are agencies to find people places to sleep and food to eat. Everything is destroyed in Port Au-Prince, Haiti. Everything! Whether you like the idea of helping out or not is your own mojo. But no one cannot deny that its the humane thing to do.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
I just want to throw this out there and say kudos to Israel. I am jewish and have been to Israel and it's amazing place! They have set up a hospital in Haiti to help the victims. I think that's great...for a country that is constantly @ war, to give up fighting for its own cause...and go help another.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:53 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,323,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocafeller05 View Post
For once we agree. lol. But all joking aside, its great what they are doing down there.
Listen folks...its not like here where there are agencies to find people places to sleep and food to eat. Everything is destroyed in Port Au-Prince, Haiti. Everything! Whether you like the idea of helping out or not is your own mojo. But no one cannot deny that its the humane thing to do.
True.

But what I think the others are getting at is that we seem to help other countries (which is good in situations like Haiti), but we can't seem to help ourselves. Its like that old adage, how can you help others if you can't help yourself.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:54 AM

2,160 posts, read 7,503,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
How about Nassau County sending 10 police officers /detectives with family in Haiti down there in full uniform to assist.

I'm sorry, but I wonder if we would still be sending this guys down there if they didn't have any connection to Haiti whatsoever. And I'm sure these guys are getting paid to go there.... and if God-forbid any of them get hurt - who's making that payout?

This is what the federal government is for. Nassau County is doing a favor to their police force members of Haitian decent and trying to look good at the expense of the county. Let the federal government and the military handle these things.
While I have no idea about the funding, I can probably speak to why they were chosen. Having family there means they probably have a more in-depth knowledge of the language and the people. The first thing they look for during a mobilization is for people with a skill set that matches the situation. These guys are first responders...and may know a little Creole which helps dramatically.

I'm on the short list to go with the Navy because I have Incident command experience...but also because I spent 6 weeks in Haiti adopting my daughter and can understand the language a little. It comes down to experience a lot of the time. There were also urban rescue teams from FDNY that went right away also.

Old 01-20-2010, 07:58 AM

But we need help? Were the big bad USA. Listen, we turned down millions of dollars from other countries when Katrina hit. What kind of message is being sent out with that? We should have accepted it.

If you think we cant help our own preople here, you may want to start voting. I dont know what to tell you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
True.

But what I think the others are getting at is that we seem to help other countries (which is good in situations like Haiti), but we can't seem to help ourselves. Its like that old adage, how can you help others if you can't help yourself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island