Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-17-2010, 12:03 PM

6 posts, read 40,648 times

Advertisements

Hi, there!

I'm looking to move into Roslyn Heights and, so far, no negative comment could dissuade me from moving there (even the not-so-great-commute). However, the ONE thing that's been driving me insane is the potential risk of my children being shunned, simply because we are not of Jewish descent (we're a non-practicing, albeit respectful, Roman Catholic/Muslim family). I heard from someone who attended Roslyn High that all public schools observe Shabbat and as the kids grow, Jewish parents advise their kids to stay away from everyone who's not Jewish - Persian Jewish, that is! I think this is crazy! I don't want my children to be discriminated and looked down upon.

We currently live in Queens, which is highly Jewish in some parts (mostly American and Russian), and my daughter attends a school that observes Shabbat, which doesn't bother me at all! I don't think children start discriminating because of religion at age 4 (or do they?), so I'm happy to display her hand-made menorahs and dreidels around the house (we even get together with friends to observe a Hannukah/Christmas party). But, I am concerned about this issue as she grows older, loses her naivete, and start understanding religious division issues.

Heart-felt, hard-core honest comments are much appreciated. Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 12:56 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
I don't think so. I don't personally know anyone within the district, but that is the first I ever heard of that, also the Roslyn area as far as I know has a large amount of Secular Jews.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:29 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganadeavalon View Post
I heard from someone who attended Roslyn High that all public schools observe Shabbat ...

morganadeavalon, what exactly do you mean by "observe Shabbat"?

Old 01-17-2010, 01:33 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,683,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
... (T)he Roslyn area as far as I know has a large amount of Secular Jews.

It's been my sorry experience that non-observant, secular Jews would be the first to complain, and do so very loudly, if a school district were to re-schedule events because these events occurred on Shabbat.

Old 01-17-2010, 01:56 PM

2,440 posts, read 6,258,595 times
No matter what anyone tells you, you need to find another school district. Sounds like you will not be happy in Roslyn.

Old 01-17-2010, 04:23 PM

Thank you for all your comments. I really love the neighborhood and the house. All I'm looking for is a nice, safe place to live and raise my children, make friends, and contribute to the neighborhood in any way I can. I still find it amazing that I have to be worried about religion in such a diverse place as NY. It's such a divisive issue.... I'm learning so much from my friends and they're learning from us. Sounds corny as hell, but... can't we all just get along?

Old 01-17-2010, 07:50 PM

1,010 posts, read 3,930,989 times
Roslyn is primarily secular. The observant Persians (and Ashkenazim) live in Kings Point/Great Neck.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:16 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,459,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by morganadeavalon View Post
Thank you for all your comments. I really love the neighborhood and the house. All I'm looking for is a nice, safe place to live and raise my children, make friends, and contribute to the neighborhood in any way I can. I still find it amazing that I have to be worried about religion in such a diverse place as NY. It's such a divisive issue.... I'm learning so much from my friends and they're learning from us. Sounds corny as hell, but... can't we all just get along?
You shouldn't be, and quite honestly with all do respect I don't think the person that gave you the idea you indicated in your op had any clue what the hell they were talking about, especially with Roslyn since its generally a very secular area (no matter what the religion) The only district on Long Island I know of that have had any issues regarding religion is Lawrence. That mainly revolved around Orthodox Jews who sent kids to Private schools gaining control of the school board, and arguments that came from who would have access to bus transportation.

Old 01-18-2010, 08:25 AM

748 posts, read 2,888,231 times
Roslyn Heights is part of the greater Roslyn area. Though most of Roslyn Heights belongs to the Roslyn School District, portions of the school-aged population are enrolled in the East Williston school district, and attend The Wheatley School from eighth through twelfth grades. Portions of Roslyn Heights also belong to the Herricks School District, as well as the Mineola School District.

Why don't you try looking for a home in the Herricks or East williston school district.

Old 01-18-2010, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Roslyn Heights is part of the greater Roslyn area. Though most of Roslyn Heights belongs to the Roslyn School District, portions of the school-aged population are enrolled in the East Williston school district, and attend The Wheatley School from eighth through twelfth grades. Portions of Roslyn Heights also belong to the Herricks School District, as well as the Mineola School District.

Why don't you try looking for a home in the Herricks or East williston school district.
I am looking all over that area. I am so glad to read all your comments, thank you so much!

Now, let me abuse you a little... Sorry about that.... Would anyone like to offer some advice on the best blocks and/or streets for families with small children? I know that's all subjective, but what are your thoughts?

Thanks, all!!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island