Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2010, 12:05 PM

4 posts, read 27,369 times

Advertisements

I don't know what my options are anymore. I am going to school at Farmingdale state college and I have been looking for apartments for months now. I cant find anywhere that is remotely affordable for someone with my income. I work a job that pays slightly over minimum wage. Even splitting the cost of an apartment with a friend of mine who has a very similar income we still cannot afford anything. Once school starts up again I'm not going to be able to stay home anymore there's been a lot of problems going on here but I just cant find any other options. So If anyone knows where I can find a cheap apartment I would be extremely grateful.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2010, 12:08 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Where are you looking? Cheap price is most of the time synonamous with the quality of the neighbourhood. You could get something cheap in Wyandanch or Roosevelt probably...but, I dunno, do you really want to live there?

What is your budget per month to spend on rent?

Old 01-20-2010, 12:17 PM
grant516

n/a posts
Try searching craigslist or something for rooms for rent- sometimes you'll find something decent in a share for like 350 or so a month.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
I used to rent houses with other kids when I went to Stony Brook. At the time, a basement apartment was going for $550 a month or so, a room in a slum lord house was costing me $250..I was probably making $7.50 an hour at whatever job I had.

Now a basement apartment is $800, and I think you could probably rent a house with 3 other people for $450 or so each, meanwhile minimum wage has barely budged. That's still a big chunk of your money going to rent, not including cable and phone and heat and cars and all that.

Aside from trying to get a job that pays more, which you should do, I would do everything in my power to deal with the problems at home and save up as much $ as you can. Maybe go to a temp agency or something.

Old 01-20-2010, 12:20 PM

4 posts, read 27,369 times
At this point the location isn't my main concern, I just need to find something. Like I said my job isn't exactly the highest of paying jobs so I don't really have that much to spend couple hundred probably. I know on Long Island that really doesn't give me a whole lot of options

Old 01-20-2010, 01:00 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay890 View Post
At this point the location isn't my main concern, I just need to find something. Like I said my job isn't exactly the highest of paying jobs so I don't really have that much to spend couple hundred probably. I know on Long Island that really doesn't give me a whole lot of options
You can probably rent a house real cheap in Wyandanch or Brentwood, neither being very far from where you live. Get some other people together and get it done.

Old 01-20-2010, 04:55 PM

537 posts, read 1,447,816 times
Get a second job. The only way to fix your debt issue is to bring in more money.

Old 01-20-2010, 06:19 PM
BCW

84 posts, read 283,430 times
Have you checked the student bulletin boards at your college? You may find other students that are looking for a roomate(s) to share the costs for housing/apts. This site also mentions a student newspaper as a likley source of possible roomates.

Quote:
The bulletin boards at the Office of International Education Services, 3rd Floor of the Mitchell Building (Phone: 301-314-7740); local newspapers such as Newsday and The Rambler (student newspaper), for possible roommate opportunities.
More info:
Change Your Life At Farmingdale (http://www.farmingdale.edu/international_education/resource_guide/daily_living/housing.html - broken link)

Old 01-20-2010, 06:38 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Could you dorm? I know that Farmingdale (unlike Suffolk Community) has on campus dorms.

Old 01-20-2010, 09:17 PM

510 posts, read 2,205,222 times
Room for rent
Furnished room, private bath, cable, internet, utilities (http://newyork.craigslist.org/lgi/roo/1562056407.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island