Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2010, 08:11 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,933,384 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc99 View Post
I know we were going to donate but it's not so easy. Its actually a pretty long process and we coulnd walk away from him while he still had a heartbeat. He passed today at around four. Thank you for your thoughts and wishes.
oh dear god.....I'm so sorry for your loss.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2010, 07:10 AM

84 posts, read 195,155 times
Yes the male passenger was the one I met in the rehab -- a known heroin dealer from smithtown.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:13 AM

13,511 posts, read 17,034,476 times
Quote:
My brother on Tues. afternoon "shot" some stuff and dropped in front of my mother. He said "mommy I can't breathe" She is an RN and immediately started CPR. He is in the MICU at Brookhaven. He has no brain function. The boy we know is gone. For nothing. He's still alive but is not expected to survive.

sorry to hearabout that. Terrible.

Old 01-23-2010, 07:14 PM

1,700 posts, read 3,424,212 times
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. Sucks more than I could possibly imagine. I'm around tragedy and pain all the time but when it comes home it's so different. Thanks again guys.

Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM

27 posts, read 60,625 times
Default parents please read

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Great ideas!
I would add:
Take them to a crack house or shooting gallery and let them see what's going on in there.
Introduce them to prostitutes who became hookers to support their drug habits.
Show them the real world of drugs.
unfortunately by the time these kids are addicted that their parent find out they have already seen a crack house and a so called shooting gallery(their high school bathroom) (i was 19 in a project on the streets of hunts point south bronx, i was in smithtown buying methadone in an apartment in the back of a house from a 45 year old chinese crack head who kept the apt front door boarded behind it) you need to take the kids who havent yet started and show them me: a very pretty girl 5'5 blonde/green/125lbs/never got every job i ever applied too, Aced everything I did in life including being a junkie and keeping it from everyone, 162 IQ, never less than a 92 on a regents, was raised with 2 parents not divorced who make $180k a year both very well respected in their jobs, in the community, and now i can also ad a new definition to the what is me category- heroin addict. you need to show them that heroin isn't some nameless 45 year old homeless guy living under a bridge on the streets of NY, it is their neighbor, the cheerleader, who graduated in the top 20, got a job on her 16th birthday, never cursed at or even in front of her parents, the friend you told your daughter you wish she was more like, your son's pretty girlfriend that the dad brags about to his buddies, the face of heroin on long island, YOUR kid. at 19 i was proud that I made it through high school not trying heroin I actually bragged that I didn;'t let it get me untill I was old I was 19! I was very naive, sheltered, raised very strict, skipped a year in school, was very popular despite that I wasn't allowed a social life or a date till I was almost 18! I believed in Love, still do, honesty and trust my trust (and naivete) let me give a heroin addict a chance, my sympathy realed me in, my love and "morals" told me it was wrong to leave and turn my back, my stupidity got me to eventually become addicted too. there is a strong epidemic here. it started in Pat-Medford in the early 90's reached Centereach by the Mid,With Ward Malville and soon Smithtown following in the late 90's. it hasnt gone away. the only difference is the media caught on the schools couldnt ignore it anymore, the dirty lil secret was out(thank god) "oh but if it was my kid i would know" would you? really? for your kids sake please stop telling yourself that and I mean it sincerely with compassion. kids start using at school, it is the only way good kids can, the only time they are not under your watchful eye, the evidence and the high long gone before they come home, when you find out it is tooooo late, theyve been using for months, already getting sick. the school watched them sleeping in the cafeteria(nodding), they called his friend mom when her son od'd at school and got taken out in the ambulance but they didnt notify his friends parents-you, now it is too late. if you only quit your job and went to school with your kids they would have been safe(imagine!?! thats what it has come to- you actually wish you could do this for your younger kids) you always were so close with him, always talked of drugs, the dangers of them, you went to the school assembly, were at the boy scout meeting as a kid when the annual discussion came up, you answered their questions. what did you do wrong? they are kids, and kids think they know it all when they don't, but they wont be kids for long and its sad they say that 45 year old homeless guy is far from who I am, he was weak, from the inner city, white trash, couldnt deal with a flu? i will never get to that point. unfortunately knowone knows the sickness unless they experience it first hand and the first time they experience it they are shocked that they are actually sick from not doing this drug, ill stick it out only it is NOT the flu and they cant. it is too late, and now they are in danger of getting caught. at this point when they are high they look normal, and fine, and when they are not high in withdrawal you think they are on something, and it is too late it started 10 months, 6 months, 1month ago and they are already getting sick and now its a life time . so please dont say but i would know, for the sake of your kids start learning now.

in 2000 suffolk county openned a fully functional, fully staffed, much needed "Young Adult Program," it is a Methadone Maintenance Program for age 22 and younger and grows more every year.(with high school students on the program) please dont knock it the bad stories about methadone are all you hear, i owe my life to methadone and my 3.5 years of having my life back They didnt start Young Adult Program in Hauppauge due to lack of patients. Im am just so glad the media caught on because the schools are now being forced to act their dirty lil secret : is out, and while it may be to late to save your kid I hope they have they are taking enough steps in the right direction to save his younger sister or brother

Old 02-15-2010, 07:22 PM

27 posts, read 60,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villager-li View Post
Does anyone know the scale of the drug problem in Centereach? I don't believe I have ever seen it referenced as a problem town. I wonder if the schools are just trying to keep it under the radar...
Centereach has a really bad problem with it, we used to refer to it as "Heroin HIGH School" the school has made it a point to keep it quiet, making the problem worse, in the 90's it was bad 00's bas and now we are getting into 2010 go to the [domain blocked due to spam] website you will read about the numbers of dead DEAD 16 yr old kids in the past 2 years in centereach, the sad thing is is it has hit this town hard and the residents and parents are shell shocked mostly because the school didnt do anything about it starting 15years back, whole families older siblings down to their baby siblings with 12 year age differences are addicted it really is sad

Old 02-15-2010, 10:16 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,152,789 times
Quote:
I know we were going to donate but it's not so easy. Its actually a pretty long process and we coulnd walk away from him while he still had a heartbeat. He passed today at around four. Thank you for your thoughts and wishes.

I'm so sorry for your loss! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family during this sad time.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:03 PM

111 posts, read 412,932 times
This is very sad. I made the move from queens to smithtown and I hear about this stuff. I hope it never hurts my family. But the realization is that it can happen to you. Where are the scared straight programs? They have to have programs where some of these kids can visit these places and watch them in prison throwing up and curled on the floor. I would pay the Jails admission for my kids.

Old 02-16-2010, 02:05 PM

111 posts, read 412,932 times
One more thing. How does anyone here know where it's coming from unless they have first hand knowledge? Please explain? MS-13? East NY brooklyn? High schools?

Old 02-16-2010, 02:09 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,106,357 times
Quote:
How does anyone here know where it's coming from unless they have first hand knowledge?
Because both the SCPD and the NCPD, as well as the NYPD and the federal DEA have stated that the heroin on Long Island is being imported from NYC via the Long Island Expressway and other major roads. That heroin is smuggled into the US via the Mexican border and then goes to NYC where it then comes to LI.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island