Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2014, 07:45 PM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyLI View Post
So this morning I was reading my email and saw one from Yelp detailing best rated cheesesteak on Long Island:

Ribeye brothers, island park
More steak than Philly, Baldwin
Beyond Philly, blue point
Roast sandwich house, Melville
Inferno roadside grill, mt Sinai
Sorry to cut a place down but the Inferno roadside grill (food truck) that is on 25A by the Heritage Diner has a NASTY Cheesesteak. One of the worst I ever had. Must have been some of their friends that rated it. Their burgers are 'decent' though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2014, 08:18 AM

8,164 posts, read 15,138,090 times
Good Kosher Delis, and regular delis. They are becoming harder and harder to find. Thankfully Wunderbar is still around when I need a fix. RIP Higbie Heroes.

Old 09-01-2014, 09:07 AM

1,162 posts, read 1,410,057 times
I miss my mother in law's kitchen. The old girl made the best leg of lamb with brown onion gravy with mashed potatoes loaded with butter and pepper. My bride has tried but even she admits it's not mom's.

Old 09-01-2014, 10:54 AM

4,538 posts, read 6,445,137 times
Bobby Rubinos and Tony Romas

Old 01-06-2019, 01:46 PM

1 posts, read 803 times
Name some restaurants from the 60s in Huntington LI NY

Old 01-06-2019, 05:18 PM

2,759 posts, read 2,046,182 times
In the 1980s we used to go to a restaurant in Smithtown called Lafayette; it's in the same place where the Garden Grill is nowadays. When it was Lafayette it was part owned by the chef, Antoine Dabo, and a partner whose name I forget but it doesn't matter because the partner was never there. Antoine ran the kitchen and his sauces in particular were heavenly.

Before opening Lafayette he was the head chef at La Marmite in Williston Park; that's where we knew him from originally and followed him to Lafayette.

Eventually his partner (who was the money part of the operation) sold Lafayette and Antoine tried opening a small bistro on his own in Queens. Unfortunately he couldn't make go of it without additional funding and the last I knew, he was at a restaurant in Cold Spring Harbor which I think is now called the Harbor Mist but was something different during the 1990s when I was last there.

Antoine was originally from Croatia, if I recall correctly. A bit of a prima donna but excusable because his dishes, especially sauces, were so fantastic. We heard later that the problem he had with most restaurant owners was his insistence on using expensive ingredients (truffles, butter by the umptillion pounds, heavy cream, etc) and so the choice inevitably became to keep him and keep raising prices, or let him go in favor of a more cost-effective head chef.

Old 01-07-2019, 10:24 AM

2,435 posts, read 1,212,637 times
I miss the Pine Tree Inn, J&J Southside.

Old 02-20-2020, 08:23 AM

7 posts, read 8,138 times
Uncle Henrys- I think it was in Commack.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island