Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM

184 posts, read 227,984 times

Advertisements

Brentwood went downhill for the same reason 90% of the undesirable neighborhoods on LI went downhill: minorities started moving in, white people started leaving.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:22 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
minorities always flocked to brentwood, since the 60s and 70s. its just more common now.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:39 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roland Deschain View Post
Brentwood went downhill for the same reason 90% of the undesirable neighborhoods on LI went downhill: minorities started moving in, white people started leaving.

White flight isn't always to blame.

Brentwood was targeted to Hispanics going back decades ago. Real estate advertisements showed homes with gardens, ladies tending to chickens, much like they did in the islands from which they came from. This was decades ago (40's or 50's) when redlining ruled, segregation was the norm.

Perhaps the pitchmen for this were white, but white flight is not to blame for the way Brentwood came to be.

In the case of Brentwood, I believe there are greater issues at hand -- suppression of minorities, lack of political voice, breakdown of the family, poverty -- to name a few.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:53 PM

1,418 posts, read 2,807,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
White flight isn't always to blame.

Brentwood was targeted to Hispanics going back decades ago. Real estate advertisements showed homes with gardens, ladies tending to chickens, much like they did in the islands from which they came from. This was decades ago (40's or 50's) when redlining ruled, segregation was the norm.

Perhaps the pitchmen for this were white, but white flight is not to blame for the way Brentwood came to be.

In the case of Brentwood, I believe there are greater issues at hand -- suppression of minorities, lack of political voice, breakdown of the family, poverty -- to name a few.
bayshore was the same way, lots of people had yards with farm animals. I remember smelling horse manure from the stables behind my cousins house off of udall road. you would never know by looking at the house that there were horses behind it.

Old 06-12-2011, 02:53 PM

2 posts, read 4,573 times
So I take it that being Hispanic means we are genetically designed to be criminals. Gotcha. Adn you say white privilege doesn't exits.

1 star
Neg rep

Old 06-12-2011, 03:52 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxie View Post
So I take it that being Hispanic means we are genetically designed to be criminals. Gotcha. Adn you say white privilege doesn't exits.

1 star
Neg rep
What about white Hispanics?

Old 07-22-2011, 07:50 AM

3 posts, read 6,287 times
My husband grew up in CI and loves it...I do not understand why.... he wants to buy a house there and I do not care where I live b/c I keep to myself, but my son is 11 and will be in the Jr High. This really bothers me b/c I am concerned for his safety, he is sensitive like his mother- I don't want him to end up damaged from all the crazy, ghetto, gang joining, "kids" (if you can call them that) in the school. My husband told me that it has gotten alot better since he lived there in the 80's, but what does that mean to me or my son? my question is: Is the school safe or not? is he going to get an education or not? and is he going to get stabbed in the hallway? am I moving to vietnam?....I live in bayshore now and I love the school- hos much worst is CI?
btw-- my husband is white and I am black and my son looks hispanic so race is not a factor for us at all...

Old 07-22-2011, 09:47 AM

95 posts, read 315,712 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I think it has less to do with color than class. The area I lived in was all white and the white kids who went to Brentwood were, for the most part, violent products of violent parents.
I agree. In Atlanta and in the surrounding suburbs the poor areas are run down and the middle and upper class neighborhoods aren't. It doesn't really matter if the area is White, Black, or mixed. I see plenty of white trailer trash garbage down here. If you take someone from a poor area and put them in a better environment sometimes that better environment doesn't rub off on them. They just start to make the area look bad regardless of what race they are. You cannot say that all Black and Hispanic contribute to the downfall of a community.

Old 07-22-2011, 09:57 AM

1,786 posts, read 3,461,434 times
Just casting my mind back, but wasn't the closing of Pilgrim State and then the general release of all the patients into the nearby neighborhoods part of the initial problem?

Old 07-22-2011, 10:50 AM

249 posts, read 515,126 times
I grew up in C.I. back in the 70's. Went back for a short stint in the early 90's....very different place.
I wouldn't even bother going there today. I've seen both Brentwood and C.I. deteriorate over time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island