Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 09:36 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,338,510 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
That's what I pay to LIPA every year. Or the heating bill. I actually enjoy working outside my home even during winter shovelling snow etc. The only thing stopping me from doing my own lawn is that I really don't know what I am doing and I am afraid I might kill my lawn if I don't do things right. Hence this thread..
The only way you'll kill your lawn is by the following.

1. Set the lawn mower too low to the ground. This cuts the grass very short but allows the sun to burn the roots.
2. Over fertilizing the lawn. Some people have recommended Scotts Turf Builder. I never used it so I can't say how it is. Maybe others can tell you more about it.
3. Not watering it enough. I used to go by what Mother Nature was doing. If I saw that I was in a drought, I'd increase the watering. Do not water in the middle of the day. The water will evaporate faster than it can sink into the ground. Usually early in the morning or in the evening is best. Over watering can damage the lawn too.
4. Using pesticides on the lawn. Also remember you're breathing this stuff in as well. Also if you have kids, and/or pets, they'll be breathing it in too. And we all know kids will touch something and then touch food or whatever and wind up ingesting it.

Its not that hard to do really. Its like climbing that long set of stairs. At first you think you can't do it because there are too many steps. Once you start taking one step at a time, you get to the top and you realize it wasn't so bad and hard at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 09:59 AM

1,815 posts, read 5,399,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boan View Post
I have a 'Yardman' mower I bought at Walmart 2 years ago for $200.00. It has a Honda motor, mulches, and it consistently starts on the first pull. The lawn was initially crap, but in just 2 years it looks fantastic. I don't use fertilizer, weed killer or any other chemicals: that poisons the water table. All I did was seed. Is there crabgrass and clover? A small amount, but who cares? - you don't see it unless you are right on the lawn itself.
Here's the secret to a lush green lawn: keep it watered, mow high (mulch), keep blade sharp. It is NOT rocket science.

Always done my own yard work - it's not that hard and gives me some exercise after sitting on my tush all day at work.

I also never use any purchased fertilizers, weed killers or other chemicals.

Every few years I'll seed and spread a light bit of compost - whatever I can get for free, be it chicken manure, horse manure or just last year's leaves from my own compost pile.

Mow high, leaving the grass at about about 3-4". This shades out weeds, encourages deep roots and makes it look nice and lush.

Don't water frequently - it causes the roots to grow on the surface, leaving you with a brown lawn should you go on vacation or if there are watering restrictions. Infrequent watering encourages deeper roots and a healthier lawn. I usually allow Mom Nature to take care of the watering and only supplement if there's been no rain for a long time.

A mulching mower is great, I don't have to rake up or bag anything and the lawn looks good.

And the best lawn tip I can give is to get rid of as much lawn as possible. Plant gardens, trees, bushes, etc to make the lawn area smaller. Mulch the gardens and plant perenials and you're yard chores will be drastically reduced!

Old 01-27-2010, 10:08 AM

748 posts, read 2,887,460 times
I have an automatic sprinkler system, so watering is not a problem. I have set it to water for 15 minutes every 2 days in the morning at 5am.

People seem to like the idea of mulching mower, so I am going to look into that. I also found this garlic oil pesticide Mosquito Repellent | Tick Repellent | Natural Mosquito Control by Mosquito Barrier that helps keep away ticks and mosquitoes. My landscaper does put fertilizers and pesticides, and I see that he leaves mulched grass over my lawn.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lialleycat View Post
Always done my own yard work - it's not that hard and gives me some exercise after sitting on my tush all day at work.

I also never use any purchased fertilizers, weed killers or other chemicals.

Every few years I'll seed and spread a light bit of compost - whatever I can get for free, be it chicken manure, horse manure or just last year's leaves from my own compost pile.

Mow high, leaving the grass at about about 3-4". This shades out weeds, encourages deep roots and makes it look nice and lush.

Don't water frequently - it causes the roots to grow on the surface, leaving you with a brown lawn should you go on vacation or if there are watering restrictions. Infrequent watering encourages deeper roots and a healthier lawn. I usually allow Mom Nature to take care of the watering and only supplement if there's been no rain for a long time.

A mulching mower is great, I don't have to rake up or bag anything and the lawn looks good.

And the best lawn tip I can give is to get rid of as much lawn as possible. Plant gardens, trees, bushes, etc to make the lawn area smaller. Mulch the gardens and plant perenials and you're yard chores will be drastically reduced!

I remember you had a pic on your profile of you sitting on a tractor. Was that your lawn mower?

Old 01-27-2010, 10:44 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,798,849 times
for those with sprinkler systems ; put it on early in the morning, then it has the day to soak in.

Also food for thought ; grass has a very short root system, so even if it turns yellow as ours frequently does, it will come back within 3-4 days.
For shrubs and trees ; do not water every day. You will drown your trees and shrubs ; the safest way is maybe every 7 days for an hour or so. The roots really should dry inbetween watering, otherwise you are just pouring water on top of water and it never gets proper time to soak in.

Old 01-27-2010, 10:54 AM

15 posts, read 42,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zulu400 View Post
Guys, my previous owner did not do a fall cleanup and my lawn looks like crap. I see those pine tree leftovers (brown hard things) lying all over and patches of lawn where there is no grass (I think the owner gave up on it 2 yrs ago).... anyway long story short.... what can I do to bring back my lawn to life ?

I am sure before applying anything I have to get the stuff cleaned first. Any recommendations as to when to do it and who to call ? I live in Town of Islip. Thanks guys.... I'm totally planning on mowing my lawn and resisting the urge to donate money every week. If I could just get the grass to grow back, that will go a long way....

Oh for the love of God, please tell me you're kidding. You don't know what pine cones are?? REALLY? Are you male or female?

Old 01-27-2010, 11:12 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,334,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhotoTakr View Post
Oh for the love of God, please tell me you're kidding. You don't know what pine cones are?? REALLY? Are you male or female?
Ok pine cones (thats what they are called. Thank you).... male here.

Did you read the rest of the post ? any suggestions ?

Old 01-27-2010, 12:06 PM

371 posts, read 938,068 times
Had a guy for fertilizer and such...Not worth it...Cut my own lawn and trim too...Good for me and cheap...g/f turned me onto free mulch and whatnot from the town so save more there too...Who needs colored mulch right???

Old 01-27-2010, 12:40 PM

748 posts, read 2,887,460 times
This one seems like a good lawn mower. Amazon.com: Lawn Boy 10645 20-Inch 6.5 GT Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered Lawn Mower (CARB Compliant): Home & Garden

Where do I buy these Lawn boys? ( apart from Amazon ofcourse)

Old 01-27-2010, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
This one seems like a good lawn mower. Amazon.com: Lawn Boy 10645 20-Inch 6.5 GT Briggs & Stratton Gas Powered Lawn Mower (CARB Compliant): Home & Garden

Where do I buy these Lawn boys? ( apart from Amazon ofcourse)
Go here and enter your zip code.

https://support.lawnboy.com/portal/s...9&PageID=19519
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island