U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM

10 posts, read 52,932 times

Advertisements

Hello,
My wife and I have been looking at Homes in Nassau. We really like the Salisbury area wich is part of East Meadow Schools.
We've learned enough to know that the Salisbury area goes to Clarke HS vs East Meadow HS.
Through asking around we heard everything from both HS's are mediocre to both HS's are very good to one is better than the other (and vice versa).
If anybody offer any feedback on the East Meadow Schools? More specifically, Clarke HS.
We did look at some stats on Clarke and one measure that wasn't too promising was only 60% of graduates go on to 4 year universities.
I'd kind of like to see that number closer to or above 70%. A guidance counselor once told me that's a telltale sign of the quality of students and families in the district. Of course I take it with a grain of salt.

Thanks for any insight and reply!
-CJ
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2010, 08:14 AM

748 posts, read 2,758,980 times
Just comparing the Test Scores between the 2 schools, East Meadow HS seems to be slightly better than Clarke HS. New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

Old 01-27-2010, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WJFM View Post
Just comparing the Test Scores between the 2 schools, East Meadow HS seems to be slightly better than Clarke HS. New York schools - NY elementary, middle and high school information

I noticed that too.
However, Clarke has sig. less students which I consider a positive.
Who knows.

I'm hoping to gain some knowledge from first-hand parents rather than stats which we all know are manipulatable.

Thanks for the reply!
-CJ

Old 01-27-2010, 08:22 PM

130 posts, read 533,472 times
My kids went to Clarke and both went on to graduate from good colleges. A lot of kids go to Nassau Community College for 2 years and then transfer. While there is some influence from peers, I believe that when it comes to college it all starts at home. In our house it was never "if" you were going, it was "where". It's a nice, well kept school in a good neighborhood with both good and bad teachers. You can get better teachers in Jericho, but you'll pay $150,000 to $200,000 more for a house. Better off hiring a tutor or two

Old 01-28-2010, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kateb411 View Post
My kids went to Clarke and both went on to graduate from good colleges. A lot of kids go to Nassau Community College for 2 years and then transfer. While there is some influence from peers, I believe that when it comes to college it all starts at home. In our house it was never "if" you were going, it was "where". It's a nice, well kept school in a good neighborhood with both good and bad teachers. You can get better teachers in Jericho, but you'll pay $150,000 to $200,000 more for a house. Better off hiring a tutor or two

Thanks so much, Kate.
Were you happy with kids around your kids?
In other words, were most of the students from good families sharing the same values as yours.
I've heard that the HS is a little rough.
Certainly could be hiersay.

Old 01-28-2010, 08:42 AM

30,352 posts, read 17,422,352 times
Both Clarke and EMHS are good schools, and East Meadow/Salisbury are good areas to live

as to which is better.. I say EMHS, but I am Biased as I graduated from EMHS about 30 years ago,

East Meadow has a very good school system, Superior in academics, an exellect special education program, and an very good sports program.

Old 01-28-2010, 02:41 PM

130 posts, read 533,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjferro View Post
Thanks so much, Kate.
Were you happy with kids around your kids?
In other words, were most of the students from good families sharing the same values as yours.
I've heard that the HS is a little rough.
Certainly could be hiersay.
My son graduated 5 years ago, so I'm not exactly sure what's going on there today. Why don't you drive over to the school and ask to look at the map where Clarke draws all it's students from and drive around the neighborhoods. I can't think of a "bad" section per se. That's what we did when we moved here over 25 years ago and we also hung around when school let out to see for ourselves. Ask if they still bring in kids from outside the district...I recall there was something like an "A" school within the school at the time that did that, but I don't know if it still exists.

But to answer your question directly, yes, most of the students were from good families that shared the same values. I can recommend some nice areas to look at houses if you PM me.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:13 PM

556 posts, read 1,389,398 times
Salisbury is a good area. Rarely heard of any crime aside from normal child mischief.

Clarke is a decent high school and a student can excel and has plenty of resorces available to them. It is smaller(900 or so) and also shares the building with the middle school. I graduated from there and went to college.

I like the school/ area because there is family values and community interaction if you so choose. You are close to every kind of shopping and resturant you could ever think of, easy accsess to NYC, and not far from many outdoor activities.

Old 01-29-2010, 12:21 PM

16,408 posts, read 31,846,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
Both Clarke and EMHS are good schools, and East Meadow/Salisbury are good areas to live

as to which is better.. I say EMHS, but I am Biased as I graduated from EMHS about 30 years ago,
East Meadow has a very good school system, Superior in academics, an exellect special education program, and an very good sports program.
Do you remember Joel Rifkin, the serial killer?

He graduated from EMHS around 30 years ago also.

He claims that what led him to become a serial killer was the horrible bullying he suffered at the hands of his schoolmates in East Meadow. It turned his personality into that of a mad beast and he took it out on small hookers (he always chose petite ones because he knew they could not overpower him). I say if he used that is his excuse and he had any real cujones he would have went out and "serial killed" the old classmates who tormented him in the past. I guess he was still too much of a coward even while being a serial killer.

Old 12-07-2010, 06:43 PM

1 posts, read 4,177 times
I am a recent graduate of Clarke HS and I now attend the University of Virginia. My class alone, of 215 students, had 8 students be accepted to Ivy league schools. At this school though I can safely say its all about your child's drive and how you raise them to think. If they want to go away to school they easily can at Clarke, I know many of my class mates did not attempt to and now go to Nassau Community, but those with the same grades go on to many 4-year schools. I'd also say the area in salisbury is nicer than the area in EM, walking around the streets-wise. I grew up a block from Clarke and I loved my time at home and miss the area all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island