Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2010, 11:51 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,292,576 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crookhaven View Post
I wish I had money Id be gobbling up foreclsures in there like crazy
Let's chip in and be slumlords together!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2010, 12:53 PM

827 posts, read 3,093,809 times
Considering I recently moved from Farmingdale, I'd say the area right by the train station is sketchy...and a crap area. I know the entire time I lived in the area, my husband would complain everytime we left our development.

Now that I am in Kings Park I'd say the area right on Pulaski Road looks..hmm, not rundown..I guess b/c the houses are older and close to the street..it doesn't look as desirable right there.

As for someone asking about Levittown. The nicest areas of Levittown, I think are a few areas, the area right off of Wantagh Avenue near Macarthur High School and the area North of Newbridge Road borderline East Meadow. I think most of the street names back there are flower names. Other than that, I think Levittown is pretty rundown looking. Hempstead Turnpike area being the worst. That's just my opinion as I grew up in the vicinity (Bethpage) and when I go back to the Levittown area I think it doesn't look so nice. Also by Tri-County, it looks rundown.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:47 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,702,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_Love_LI_but View Post
Let's chip in and be slumlords together!
My goodness, you're reading my mind!

Old 01-30-2010, 10:06 PM

136 posts, read 492,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
I live in Massapequa Park too and I would agree with you for the most part but if you head east on Merrick Rd it gets a little sketchy in East Massapequa behind the 7-11 and across from Berner too. and that borders against Mass Park. Not horrible but at least a bit shady. I dont know of a 'bad' area in Massapequa Park proper though.
Kids literally living across the street from Berner JH in "East" Massapequa (other side of Carman Mills Rd) can't go to school there. It's pretty ridiculous.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:19 PM

1,963 posts, read 4,243,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fred5 View Post
Kids literally living across the street from Berner JH in "East" Massapequa (other side of Carman Mills Rd) can't go to school there. It's pretty ridiculous.

Why? The district is what it is. The borders were drawn a long time ago.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Why? The district is what it is. The borders were drawn a long time ago.
Just because as you say "the borders were drawn a long time ago" and "the district is what it is" doesn't mean the districting isn't ridiculous. A guess common sense didn't figure into the equation.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Just because as you say "the borders were drawn a long time ago" and "the district is what it is" doesn't mean the districting isn't ridiculous. A guess common sense didn't figure into the equation.
When people buy their house they usually buy it based on the school district the house belongs to (weather it makes geographic sense or not). Are you suggesting that we start changing everything up now after people have purchased their house?

People that buy a house in East Mass are getting a much better deal - why? You tell me.

Old 01-30-2010, 10:50 PM

Quote:
When people buy their house they usually buy it based on the school district the house belongs to (weather it makes geographic sense or not). Are you suggesting that we start changing everything up now after people have purchased their house?

People that buy a house in East Mass are getting a much better deal - why? You tell me.
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm pointing out a simple fact that it makes little to no sense in having kids bussed to further schools in a different county when there is a junior high 90 feet away from them. BTW, in the early 90s there was a real possibility that the lines would be shifted to allow those kids to attend that junior high. That proposition was shot down. Why? You tell me.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:12 PM

Quote:
I'm not suggesting anything. I'm pointing out a simple fact that it makes little to no sense in having kids bussed to further schools in a different county when there is a junior high 90 feet away from them. BTW, in the early 90s there was a real possibility that the lines would be shifted to allow those kids to attend that junior high. That proposition was shot down. Why? You tell me.

I dont know the history (I am sure there are plenty of threads on here telling us why east of Carmans rd is Amityville schools but from what I understand it has been that way for quite soem time (for ever?)). AGAIN, on LI (probably more than anywhere else in the US) you buy your house based on the school district it is in. In this case #23 is the key. What is your point? Was it a racist decision on who would be in #23? What reason in the 90's would they change it?

Of course economics are involved.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:16 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
And kids across the street from Ward Melville go to Comsewogue.

Makes perfect sense, use the crappiest part of your town for the schools.Get as much land as possible.

Your point?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island