Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 09:34 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,397,356 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
It isn't a matter of semantics - Chaminade honors alumni who serve/have served in the military and has nothing to do with military life. You are far off base here and your post could mislead folks who are interested in the school.

The website shows the school is all about academics and religion. The only mention of the "military life" is asking for prayer for Chaminade HS family in military service. The school goes over and above to honor alumni serving in the military, but does nothing to push the "military life" or teach the "military life".

You may have misinterpreted what the Gold Star mass is about. However espousing false information on a forum is irresponsible . You have 2 alumni on this board questioning you about this. Don't you think folks who have "been through it" would know more than parents who hear's snippets from her son?
Whatever. My son never told me anything. He's extremely quiet and has trouble communicating (think Asperger's - I don't need to start defending the fact that he doesn't talk much). So, anyway, my opinions aren't based on anything he told me. I read every student and faculty newsletter that was mailed (and continues to be mailed) to our house. I gave my opinion based on what I've read. You're entitled to your opinion. I never said Chaminade 'pushes' or 'teaches' military life. My opinion remains the same. I highly doubt anyone is going to attend Chaminade based on anything I post on this forum. I'm not the director of admissions at Chaminade.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 09:56 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,497,727 times
OK flyer fans,

I think FF55 said it well, including miltary service, there is a large amount of graduate become firefighters and Police officers, (even politicians)....maybe the term "public service" is better.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:16 AM

416 posts, read 695,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Whatever. My son never told me anything. He's extremely quiet and has trouble communicating (think Asperger's - I don't need to start defending the fact that he doesn't talk much). So, anyway, my opinions aren't based on anything he told me. I read every student and faculty newsletter that was mailed (and continues to be mailed) to our house. I gave my opinion based on what I've read. You're entitled to your opinion. I never said Chaminade 'pushes' or 'teaches' military life. My opinion remains the same. I highly doubt anyone is going to attend Chaminade based on anything I post on this forum. I'm not the director of admissions at Chaminade.
You don't have to defend anything about your son because I don't care. The fact is, you said Chaminade is "about the Military life". The fact is, while they honor alumni who served, it is no more "about the military life" than Jericho High School. And FYI - you don't have to be the director of admissions to have an influence on people's opinions of a school I'm certainly glad you are not the director of admissions since you so distorted the mission of the school in the first place!

Old 02-02-2010, 10:53 AM

289 posts, read 580,156 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
...Their definition of the 'Chaminade Man' is someone who does the right thing because it is the right thing to do, not because someone is watching.
As you continue to berate someone for having an opinion different then yours, does that count as the "right thing to do?" Someone whose son went there, and SHOULD have a different perspective than you, no?

Old 02-02-2010, 11:19 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,397,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donkey95 View Post
As you continue to berate someone for having an opinion different then yours, does that count as the "right thing to do?" Someone whose son went there, and SHOULD have a different perspective than you, no?
Thanks for your post but it's useless to 'talk' to some people. If this poster went to Chaminade, he's unfortunately an example of the arrogant attitude that sometimes results from receiving such a top notch education. I'll always be proud that my son went to Chaminade and will always think very highly of the school. However, it does sometimes (thankfully not often!) produce alumni who think their opinion is the only one that counts. Thanks again.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:08 PM

Quote:
It's not about varying opinions. This is about a poster who is either misinformed, or misinterpreted what is going on. She is posting information that is potentially harmful to the school. To say a school is "about the military" gives the impression it's a military type school when it is not. The only thing about the military that goes on at Chaminade is honoring alumni who serve in the military. The other post started with the "face slap" smiley face and the attitude in her posts - I'm just giving her a taste of her own medicine. Bottom line - if you are going to post assinine statements, be prepared to be called out on it.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:15 PM

A taste of her own medicine? You realize that, possibly unlike you, she had a different experience due to her paying for her son to go there, versus you "just" attending? And, she is expressing her opinion -- you know, the thing that, in theory, we're all entitled to have? And harmful to the school? Oh please.

Old 02-02-2010, 01:47 PM

Quote:
A taste of her own medicine?
Yes - if she wants to be sarcastic I'll be sarcastic right back.

Quote:
You realize that, possibly unlike you, she had a different experience due to her paying for her son to go there, versus you "just" attending?
Yes, so she wrote a check and because of that would know more about the day-to-day experience than someone who actually experienced it - there's an intelligent comment

Quote:
And, she is expressing her opinion -- you know, the thing that, in theory, we're all entitled to have?
That's where you are wrong. She is saying the school is about something it's simply not. She misinterpreted the situation. You can't have opinions about facts - they either are or are not.

Quote:
And harmful to the school? Oh please.
Sorry donkey, but spreading around false information could potentially be harmful to the school.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:13 PM

When you get that last spurt of maturity, oh, any day now [you're about 30, right?] and realize that different people bring different perspectives, and a parent who paid extra to send their child somewhere has as much of a right, if not more than YOU to express their opinions, then we'll see where this goes. but then again, all you're doing now is simply buttressing my earlier comments about your hallowed school.

Old 02-02-2010, 02:38 PM

Quote:
When you get that last spurt of maturity, oh, any day now [you're about 30, right?] and realize that different people bring different perspectives, and a parent who paid extra to send their child somewhere has as much of a right, if not more than YOU to express their opinions, then we'll see where this goes. but then again, all you're doing now is simply buttressing my earlier comments about your hallowed school.
Hey donkey, the fact is you have an agenda and your comments are simply playing into it. Did you not get accepted? No need to get upset about it, it's a very difficult school to get into. Maybe your children will have the brains to make it into Chaminade (if they are lucky).

As I said in my last post - opinions are for subjective matters. I can't have an opinion that the sky is red because it's not - it's blue. You can't debate facts, and the fact is Chaminade is not about the military in the least. The extent to which the military is even mentioned at Chaminade is when honoring alumni who have served/ are serving. If you do not understand why you can't have an opinion about facts, then it's no wonder why you were rejected.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island