Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 04:06 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times

Advertisements

I don't know that Chaminade necessarily turns out a disproportionate number of upstanding citizens.

I knew three boys who went to Chaminade. One went into the Navy. He came from a wealthy, kind of uptight conservative family and had the military posture by the time we were in fifth grade. From a quick Google search and look at a LinkedIn page, looks like another one went into banking and finance. And the other, well, last I heard, there was something about getting arrested for stabbing someone, if I recall correctly.

My sister's boyfriends from there weren't anything to brag about, either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2010, 06:26 PM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
I don't know that Chaminade necessarily turns out a disproportionate number of upstanding citizens.
Some of the posts on this thread have made this fact painfully obvious. I just meant Chaminade tries their best to churn out 'Chaminade men'. Unfortunately, they don't always succeed.

Quote:
I knew three boys who went to Chaminade. One went into the Navy. He came from a wealthy, kind of uptight conservative family and had the military posture by the time we were in fifth grade. From a quick Google search and look at a LinkedIn page, looks like another one went into banking and finance.
They sound like typical Chaminade alumni.

Quote:
And the other, well, last I heard, there was something about getting arrested for stabbing someone, if I recall correctly.
That's interesting - in sad way of course. That guy will never make it into the newsletter alumni update section!

My statements about Chaminade were never watered down. My 'take' on Chaminade remains the same as it was when my son graduated in 2008.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:00 PM

217 posts, read 255,014 times
Quote:

I knew three boys who went to Chaminade. One went into the Navy. He came from a wealthy, kind of uptight conservative family and had the military posture by the time we were in fifth grade. From a quick Google search and look at a LinkedIn page, looks like another one went into banking and finance. And the other, well, last I heard, there was something about getting arrested for stabbing someone, if I recall correctly.

My sister's boyfriends from there weren't anything to brag about, either.
The stats don't support your claims. You are generalizing/stereotyping based on a story or 2 that you heard. The stats blow your anedotal evidence out of the water... nice try though

Old 02-03-2010, 07:03 PM

217 posts, read 255,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Some of the posts on this thread have made this fact painfully obvious. I just meant Chaminade tries their best to churn out 'Chaminade men'.
A poster is questioning your original statement that Chaminade is "about the military", therefore it's painfully obvious that Chaminade doesn't churn out a disproportionate amount of upstanding citizens?? Are you high lady? Your post is offensive and unintelligent... time to get off the meds.

As for what you meant... you said Chaminade is about the military, now you are saying you meant to say they try their best to churn out Chaminade men. Keep backpedalling lady, the double talk is hilarious.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:20 PM
GPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
A poster is questioning your original statement that Chaminade is "about the military", therefore it's painfully obvious that Chaminade doesn't churn out a disproportionate amount of upstanding citizens?? Are you high lady? Your post is offensive and unintelligent... time to get off the meds.

As for what you meant... you said Chaminade is about the military, now you are saying you meant to say they try their best to churn out Chaminade men. Keep backpedalling lady, the double talk is hilarious.
I'm not backpedalling or double talking one bit. I already stressed in a previous post that when I said 'about the military' I meant that the school stresses respect for those who have served and are currently serving our country. That's all. Nothing more, nothing less. I've moved on from this debate. There's no need for me to keep answering the same question over and over and over. My other statements were about different aspects of Chaminade life.

Old 02-04-2010, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JosephPicarilloJr. View Post
The stats don't support your claims. You are generalizing/stereotyping based on a story or 2 that you heard. The stats blow your anedotal evidence out of the water... nice try though
Looks like I hit a nerve.

All I'm saying is I don't think Chaminade is necessarily any better than any other private school out there. It has its share of successes and its share of lawbreakers.

I will say this though: It does seem that Chaminade has a disproportionate number of alumni who take themselves WAY too seriously.

Doo dah, doo dah...

Old 02-04-2010, 10:25 AM

416 posts, read 698,006 times
Quote:
Looks like I hit a nerve.

All I'm saying is I don't think Chaminade is necessarily any better than any other private school out there. It has its share of successes and its share of lawbreakers.

I will say this though: It does seem that Chaminade has a disproportionate number of alumni who take themselves WAY too seriously.

Doo dah, doo dah...
Sorry, you are wrong. You can think whatever you want (the beauty of our country), but the facts do not support your belief.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
Sorry, you are wrong. You can think whatever you want (the beauty of our country), but the facts do not support your belief.
Unga bunga, me right, you wrong.

Nice line of argument.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Some of the posts on this thread have made this fact painfully obvious. I just meant Chaminade tries their best to churn out 'Chaminade men'. Unfortunately, they don't always succeed.
Of course not. My point, which people who like to hear themselves talk continue to miss, is that there are always going to be bad apples, I don't care what school is involved. There is more to one's value system and becoming an adult than where one goes to high school.

I'm glad your son had a good experience there and will make something of himself for having gone.

If there is one thing I do appreciate about Catholic schools in general, it's that they try to foster a sense of place in a world and a desire to give back. It's kind of a counterbalance to the rampant sense of entitlement you see in so many kids these days.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:05 AM
GPC

Quote:
Of course not. My point, which people who like to hear themselves talk continue to miss, is that there are always going to be bad apples, I don't care what school is involved. There is more to one's value system and becoming an adult than where one goes to high school.

I'm glad your son had a good experience there and will make something of himself for having gone.

If there is one thing I do appreciate about Catholic schools in general, it's that they try to foster a sense of place in a world and a desire to give back. It's kind of a counterbalance to the rampant sense of entitlement you see in so many kids these days.
I couldn't agree more. I want my son to be successful in life but I also want him to remain humble. A sense of entitlement is definitely something I DON'T want to see in him!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island