Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 11:19 AM

416 posts, read 698,006 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Unga bunga, me right, you wrong.

Nice line of argument.
The argument is in the stats. If you don't understand the stats that compare the quality of Chaminade grads to other private HS that's your problem - get educated. If you make assinine comments they will be met with terse responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2010, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Of course not. My point, which people who like to hear themselves talk continue to miss, is that there are always going to be bad apples, I don't care what school is involved. There is more to one's value system and becoming an adult than where one goes to high school.

I'm glad your son had a good experience there and will make something of himself for having gone.

If there is one thing I do appreciate about Catholic schools in general, it's that they try to foster a sense of place in a world and a desire to give back. It's kind of a counterbalance to the rampant sense of entitlement you see in so many kids these days.
You said before that Chaminade doesn't necessarily produce a disproportionate share of upstanding citizens. Now you are saying that all schools have bad apples. I think you and the other poster need to understand just exactly what the point is that you're trying to make, and learn how to articulate it. The 2 of you make countering statements and then have the audacity to say people on this thread (i.e.: me) are missing your point. I don't think you even know what your point is! lol

Old 02-04-2010, 11:46 AM

1,307 posts, read 1,664,424 times
Let's consider this thread closed. The OP's original question has been answered.

Thanks to all who responded with pertinent info regarding the original question.

Old 02-04-2010, 11:59 AM
GPC

1,308 posts, read 3,413,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by firefighter55 View Post
You said before that Chaminade doesn't necessarily produce a disproportionate share of upstanding citizens. Now you are saying that all schools have bad apples. I think you and the other poster need to understand just exactly what the point is that you're trying to make, and learn how to articulate it. The 2 of you make countering statements and then have the audacity to say people on this thread (i.e.: me) are missing your point. I don't think you even know what your point is! lol
We're well aware of exactly what our points are and did articulate them. No contradictory statements were made; we've simply illustrated the pros and cons to life at Chaminade. Contradictions and pros/cons are very different things.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:20 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
We're well aware of exactly what our points are and did articulate them. No contradictory statements were made; we've simply illustrated the pros and cons to life at Chaminade. Contradictions and pros/cons are very different things.
I think it's a matter of people not understanding what we're saying, and then when we do them the courtesy of elaborating for them, they level accusations of changing our minds--which I think says something about the contrarian approach some people take to message boards.

Old 02-04-2010, 12:30 PM

Quote:
I think it's a matter of people not understanding what we're saying, and then when we do them the courtesy of elaborating for them, they level accusations of changing our minds--which I think says something about the contrarian approach some people take to message boards.
You said Chaminade is not any better than other private school in terms of the share of upstanding citizens, then you said everyone has their bad apples. Those are 2 distinct comments. I would agree with the latter comment, not the former. Understand yet?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:09 PM
GPC

Quote:
You said Chaminade is not any better than other private school in terms of the share of upstanding citizens, then you said everyone has their bad apples. Those are 2 distinct comments. I would agree with the latter comment, not the former. Understand yet?
Those statements were made in separate posts and make perfect sense. It's only when they're strung together as one statement does their meaning appear contradictory. If someone's words are going to be quoted, then their entire statement must be quoted as well.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GPC View Post
Those statements were made in separate posts and make perfect sense. It's only when they're strung together as one statement does their meaning appear contradictory. If someone's words are going to be quoted, then their entire statement must be quoted as well.
The second statement was made in response to my questioning the validity of the first statement - a classic backpedal.

Hello McFly, is anybody home??

Old 02-05-2010, 01:37 PM
GPC

Quote:
The second statement was made in response to my questioning the validity of the first statement - a classic backpedal.

Hello McFly, is anybody home??
You have a future in politics!

Old 02-05-2010, 02:48 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,267,934 times
Quote:
I said, and this is a direct quote, "I don't know that Chaminade necessarily turns out a disproportionate number of upstanding citizens."

Then I said, and this is a direct quote, "All I'm saying is I don't think Chaminade is necessarily any better than any other private school out there. It has its share of successes and its share of lawbreakers."

Not once did I say "Chaminade is not any better than other private schools..." as quoted above.

There is no back-pedaling, because NOT ONCE did I DECLARE that Chaminade IS NOT ANY BETTER. I said I didn't THINK it NECESSARILY was.

Now if you want to call that back-pedaling, I suggest you take a formal class in debating because you do not understand the term "back-pedaling." Furthermore, if you are going to attempt to debate me on my level, take a lesson from this journalist and learn how to quote people appropriately instead of adding your own shading and implications.

Thank you, drive through, you've been spanked, and my work is done here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island