Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2007, 07:38 AM

80 posts, read 498,024 times

Advertisements

We are trying to relocated. We are confused as to where to go. My husband commutes to NYC by train. We do not want to live in a snobby town. Education is very important for our children and culture. We are also looking for catholic schools for our girls to attend. Does Cold Spring harbor fit the bill for Long Island. We were considering Garden City, but is very expensive and a little snobby.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2007, 10:48 AM

525 posts, read 2,350,985 times
education and ACCESS to culture-check
Catholic School-St. Pats in Huntington-check
Not a snobby town-AGHHHHHHH

That is where it fails your litmus test. Do a search here on CSH and a lot of threads will come up that discuss history, experience, and curent climate in the CSH area. CSH is expensive in housing prices and TAXES, and is very snobby unless you belong to the country club, the bath club, and drive multiple "fancy" cars. If you don't do all this, there is something "wrong" in the eyes of the residents. Garden City is less snobby, so do your research!

Old 05-27-2007, 02:55 PM

13 posts, read 55,542 times
Default Cold Spring

Very Upity Very Snobby..im A Local And Feel Very Uncomfortable At The Cafes There When I Dont Have 6 Bucks For Coffee..the Sign At The River Says "danger Radiation No Swimming" ..as You Feel The River Mist Hit Your Face

Old 05-27-2007, 03:52 PM

525 posts, read 2,350,985 times
Molly, is this Cold Spring Harbor, LI or Cold Springs, NY?

CSH does not have a river, but a Harbor. That is why I ask. I think we may be talking about two snobby places, lol.

Old 05-28-2007, 01:41 AM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolyn11 View Post
We were considering Garden City, but is very expensive and a little snobby.

CSH I would say is way worse than GC. You have houses that range from 600, and up in GC, CSH mostly has houses in the millions. I would say GC has more community feel that CSH.

Sad to say, we are looking for the same things as you, but the more expensive the area, the more snobbiness can be an issue. Its a toss up, go more middle class for less snobbiness or go more high end but deal with the keeping up with the Joneses attitudes.

I dont know which one I rather, and I am currently trying to decide that.

Old 06-07-2007, 05:44 PM

620 posts, read 2,117,954 times
Cold Spring Harbor is beautiful. Who cares about the snobs! I have never had an issue there. You should also consider Huntington.

Old 06-07-2007, 08:47 PM

1,359 posts, read 5,655,200 times
I've found that GC is not snobby at all.

Old 06-11-2007, 10:10 PM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
CSH is wonderful! The SD is one of Long Island's best! Generally if you live in CSH, you're going to send them to CSH and not St. Patricks. I don't think St. Pat's has quite the same rep that CSH has when it comes to education, programs and activites.

The village is quaint and the homes are beautiful. The residents may be financially well off, but I wouldn't say they're snobby.

GC has a totally different feel to it...much more "urban". I guess it's because most of the properties are a fraction of the size of the CSH properties. Although the downtown area is bigger than CSH, I don't think it has the same charm.

The biggest postitive to GC is the shorter commute.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:15 PM

23 posts, read 93,942 times
I never see any people in Cold Spring Harbor that are non-white it's like basically all white im saying that bad thing, but some people may notl ike that because it's not mixed

Old 08-01-2009, 11:17 PM

23 posts, read 93,942 times
I meant im saying that's not a bad thing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island