Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2010, 05:52 PM

52 posts, read 250,402 times

Advertisements

We just bought our house and when house hunting we stayed away from corner houses because it just seemed like they always had smaller back yards.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2010, 08:11 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
Depends on what area. In many areas they add more privacy and are just as desirable as any other lot. At least you don't have to look at a neighbor's house or have a driveway next to you!

Old 01-31-2010, 08:22 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2BHere View Post
Depends on what area. In many areas they add more privacy and are just as desirable as any other lot. At least you don't have to look at a neighbor's house or have a driveway next to you!

I agree.

In my old neighborhood they were coveted, larger plots and usually with the larger model home.

Old 01-31-2010, 08:56 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times
I have to say if you love the home, that's the main thing that matters. If you feel it has all that you need, you can't have it all. Don't pass up a home based on this if it meets your other criteria.

Old 02-01-2010, 04:56 AM

3,180 posts, read 10,538,613 times
Funny to hear diffent opinions.....I always thought it was desirable to own a corner property. At least an outside corner.

Inside corner property is another issue. Small frontyard, big pie shaped backyard.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:07 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I grew up on a corner property. With sidewalks. More snow removal.

We were on a fairly busy road, and found out the hard way that we had to park any cars a little further down the corner because some idiots would take the turn to tight and fast and either totally hit our cars, sideswipe or take off a mirror on occassion.
We had a lot of cars and they all wouldn't fit in the driveway.

The other disadvantage was that pedestrians would routinely cut accross the property rather than take the "long way" following the sidewalk.

Old 02-01-2010, 06:22 AM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbinspections View Post
Funny to hear diffent opinions.....I always thought it was desirable to own a corner property. At least an outside corner.

Inside corner property is another issue. Small frontyard, big pie shaped backyard.

Agreed

Crooks

Old 02-01-2010, 07:00 AM

120 posts, read 216,925 times
I remember when I was looking for a house and I found one, next to a bank. the real estate guy said it was great because if I had a party, I would have plenty of parking. but I was smart enough to realize that if the bank got robbed, my house would be the first place a robber might want to hide in. since then, the bank has been robbed 3 times.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:26 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
Some outside corner properties don't have that huge yard. I can name some that I have seen in Selden while house hunting.

Some corner properties (depending on where it is in regards to throughways to other roads) are quite busy with traffic. It really depends on people's taste.

Old 02-01-2010, 07:49 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
Privacy is an issue too, there are laws about obstructing the view for traffic, which is a legitimate safety concern, so you can only put up so high of a fence, shrubs and hedges need to be kept at a certain height etc...
Many of Nassau corner properties are situated so that you have the large portion of your property on the side you cannot completely fence in. The home is usually set way back and away from the adjacent corner. So you are left with a 5' wide chunk behind the house and a 10' wide chunk on the neighboring side.
Based on the standard 50/60x100 lot.
This was one of the main reasons I backed away from 2 gorgeous corner homes back when I was buying. I like privacy and having a yard, and even though we were in love with the homes, the privacy/property issues just didn't sit well with us. Plus the taxes were a little higher, and I couldn't justify in my mind, paying more for less "usuable" land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island