Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 08:27 AM

405 posts, read 1,769,778 times

Advertisements

We just bought a house in Npt 2 weeks ago. We're from NC, but have been renting in Greenlawn for the past several months while house hunting. I have not sensed *any* clique-ishness around here whatsoever, nor have I felt like I didn't fit in because I'm not from around here. In fact, as we've gone about readying the house for our move-in, I've been nothing but pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and generosity of the locals--including all of our neighbors, who have each stopped in to welcome us with cards and chocolates I'm a SAHM and have joined a couple local mom's groups and have found the women to be extremely warm and welcoming as well. I guess time will tell, but we are loving our decision to buy in Northport so far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 AM

25 posts, read 132,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by procfreq View Post
We just bought a house in Npt 2 weeks ago. We're from NC, but have been renting in Greenlawn for the past several months while house hunting. I have not sensed *any* clique-ishness around here whatsoever, nor have I felt like I didn't fit in because I'm not from around here. In fact, as we've gone about readying the house for our move-in, I've been nothing but pleasantly surprised by the friendliness and generosity of the locals--including all of our neighbors, who have each stopped in to welcome us with cards and chocolates I'm a SAHM and have joined a couple local mom's groups and have found the women to be extremely warm and welcoming as well. I guess time will tell, but we are loving our decision to buy in Northport so far.

That's so great to hear! Congratulations on the move. Which area are you in now? Not looking for street name of course, but just general area.

Old 02-02-2010, 12:22 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyc-li View Post
It seems like a great place to live. But I don't want to make a huge financial decision, get there and find out that if you didn't grow up there you're always on the outs.
I was wondering the same thing. Good question!

Twingles, would you say that it's the village section that is mostly like this or any part, even Fort Salonga?

Old 02-02-2010, 01:26 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Folks, only places that have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address and are actually in the Village of Northport are in Northport.

Those places that have a "Northport, NY 11768" mailing address that are not in the Village of Northport are in the Hamlet of Eatons Neck, the Village of Asharoken, the Hamlet of Fort Salonga, the Hamlet of East Northport and the Hamlet of Centerport.

Old 02-02-2010, 10:46 PM

44 posts, read 135,115 times
Quote:
What are the political views like in N'port? Is it a mostly conservative or liberal town? Or is there a good mix.

Where I live now everyone is very similar. Same job, same political views, etc... Not bad people at all, it's just nice to have a little variety sometimes. Especially when I think in terms of raising the kids.
I live in neighboring Huntington, but have many many friends from Northport, including my daughter-in-law and her family.

Politically, I'd say it's a mix, from country club republicans to left-of-center former hippies. There is definitely a liberal/progressive attitude there, not found in many towns on the Island. But, it's a mix.

One thing I will say is that just about everyone I know from N'pt has a laid-back style and is quite friendly. There are many residents who have been there for generations, but I've never gotten a cliquey vibe. As I said, as far as LI towns go, it's pretty friendly and laid-back. You're not going find much racial diversity though.

I have heard about a big drug culture in the High School which has been around since the '70s. Otherwise the school system is excellent - especially for kids interested in the arts.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:05 AM

9,525 posts, read 30,463,921 times
I grew up in East Northport, graduated Northport High in the mid-90's, my younger brother just had his 10th reunion.

It is a nice town. It is certainly cliquey among the kids. Wealthier kids near the village will tend to talk down to working class kids south of the tracks (i.e. East Northpuerto Rico). But it's not oppressive or anything. However the few minority kids and a lot of the working-class Italians got treated pretty crappy by the yacht club set.

Liberal / Earthy vibe moreso than country-club although it does exist. Lots of ex-hippies. Many kids are unsupervised end up pretty bored and that means lots of pot, drinking, parties in Makamah and VA woods. Nothing too outrageous but some graduated to partying in NYC during the rave era and things got a bit out-of-hand.

I had a girlfriend who's parents had a home in the village, they knew all the neighbors all over town and had a great community feel. Not as friendly where I grew up.

Neither of us would move back there, it is very expensive and just too insular for my tastes. We both have non-white girlfriends / wives and have encountered some problems in Northport over the years. A lot of my former schoolmates married each other and still live in the area and still hang out like it's still high school. For the money I like Huntington more. Whenever we go back to visit the parents, we end up driving back and forth to Huntington constantly. Better restaurants, more diverse, easier access to NYC, same high costs and same schools for the most part.

Old 02-03-2010, 10:41 AM

25 posts, read 132,700 times
I'm definitely sensing a theme. Thanks for all the great information. I really appreciate it.

Anyone familiar with the "Sound Shore Bluffs" area? That's the name of the homeowners association. It's over near Crabmeadow - west of beach.

Old 02-03-2010, 11:59 AM

9,341 posts, read 29,670,127 times
Default For those who may not be familiar with Fort Salonga

Quote:
Anyone familiar with the "Sound Shore Bluffs" area? That's the name of the homeowners association. It's over near Crabmeadow - west of beach.

Sounds like Sound Shore Bluffs is in Fort Salonga.

The geography of Fort Salonga can be very confusing because Fort Salonga is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address.

For those who may not be familiar with Fort Salonga:

Fort Salonga is a hamlet (an unincorporated area) partly in the northeast part of the Town Huntington and partly in the northwest part of the Town of Smithtown, Suffolk County.

Beginning on the north and moving in a clockwise direction, the Hamlet of Fort Salonga in the Towns of Huntington and Smithtown is bordered on the north by Long Island Sound; on the east by the Hamlet of Kings Park in the Town of Smithtown; on the south by the Hamlet of Commack in the Town of Smithtown and the Town of Huntington, by the Hamlet of East Northport in the Town of Huntington; and, on the west by the Village of Northport and the Village of Asharoken in the Town of Huntington.

Fort Salonga is one of those many villages and hamlets on Long Island where none of the places in the community have the hamlet name in their mailing address: places in the Hamlet of Fort Salonga have a "Northport, NY 11768" and "Kings Park, NY 11754" mailing address.

For a good set of town-by-town maps showing all the villages and hamlets in each of LI's 13 towns (3 in Nassau County and 10 in Suffolk County): Excellent Long Island Geographic Resource

Old 02-03-2010, 12:45 PM

Quote:
I'm definitely sensing a theme. Thanks for all the great information. I really appreciate it.

Yes! Very good friends of ours live in Sound Shore Bluffs. They're among the country club republicans I spoke about (although they're quite nice ) I've been over there many times to golf at Crab Meadow Club and their beach associations events.

It's a lovely community with a private lakeside park and beach. Absolutely beautiful and, again, very laid back nice people by LI standards.

It looks like Walter might be right about it technically being in Fort Solonga, but I wouldn't pay that much mind. For all intents an purposes it's Northport. I actually have spent 30 years assuming it was Asharoken.

Last edited by LIGolf; 02-03-2010 at 01:00 PM..

Old 02-03-2010, 12:56 PM

Just wanted to add...I also live in a community with a strong homeowners/civic association, and think they're absolutely wonderful...a real selling point when buying a home. They bring neighbors together and foster relationships through events and common goals. They build a sense of community that is quite lacking in most suburbs. They also wield a lot of political power in getting the town to act.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island