Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2010, 08:35 AM

8 posts, read 20,548 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackie78 View Post
We live in Sayville, and last weekend three kids (who you could tell definitely did not belong in Sayville) with the plastic bins selling candy came to our door! Very annoying! Usually you see them outside stores trying to sell the candy for some bogus charity. My husband told them to get lost. It made me a little nervous....what the hell are they doing in Sayville!!

One question: How, exactly, were you able to tell that the child "definitely did not belong in Sayville"?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2010, 09:23 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CitizenD View Post
One question: How, exactly, were you able to tell that the child "definitely did not belong in Sayville"?
I am so surprised it took this long to catch that one...

Old 02-18-2010, 09:24 AM

4,533 posts, read 8,341,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I am so surprised it took this long to catch that one...
Suffolk County just passed a law. You must wear a name tag which includes your name and address.

Old 02-18-2010, 09:30 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
Maybe they were wearing t-shirts that said "Myrtle Beach"?

Old 09-27-2010, 06:54 AM

1 posts, read 1,931 times
Saturday i was watching my grandkids and we were playing outside
my daughter works nights so she was sleeping in the house
i noticed a solicitor of some time approaching house to house
as he came to my daughters property (i dont live there) i told him please dont go up to the house my daughter is sleeping
he said who is the master of the house
i said not me im just wathcing my grandkids
he said well im here to ///////
i said i dont live here im not interested in anything
he said you dont care about education????
I said just my grandkids education
you dont want to here what i have to say???
I said no
with that he spit at me and started to walk away
my first thought was to attack him and get into a scuffle
then i remembered the grandkids were outside
so now im between a rock in a hard place
so i yelled a few obsenities at him and told him i was calling the police
he just kept on walking
he didnt have any fear in him he kept on soliciting
i called the authorities on 911
and told them i was assualted
they said what happened????
I told them the story
the officer said you said he assaulted you
i said yes
spitting on someone is assault!!!!!!!!!!!
It took 3 hours for a police car to get to the house
by then i was calmed down
the officer was nice he said
they bus them in from the city
they are supposed to have permits but most of the time they dont
and
i wasnt the only one that complained
it seems they dont stop pounding on house doors if they suspect someone is home
the officer also said that they were looking for the drop zones
i told him i know they have better things to do than deal with crap like this
he said
no
i did the right thing and i should report incidents like that

well maybe if we all band together there will be a better effort to keep the solicitors other than the kids selling candy for yiour local schools only
out of our neighborhood

Old 09-28-2010, 09:25 AM

654 posts, read 2,120,758 times
And then th whole thing will get turned around and we will be called racists. I am even tired of solicitors outside of the local supermarkets. Once I offer 5 bucks to some organization outside of Comp USA in east Northport and they told me it had to be 25 dollars to purchase a t-shirt. Obviously I gave them nothing and since then I do not contribute. Now a local soccer team was selling cupcakes outside of Stop and Shop and I did contribute. I am just tired of people asking me for money. If I contributed every time someone approached me I could not meet my bills at the end of the month.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:41 AM

3,686 posts, read 8,706,112 times
I had a Slomins guy come to my house yesterday wanting to do an energy audit or something like that. Yeah...like I was going to let him in my house.

Old 09-28-2010, 09:51 AM

2,942 posts, read 6,007,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnSells View Post
And then th whole thing will get turned around and we will be called racists. I am even tired of solicitors outside of the local supermarkets. Once I offer 5 bucks to some organization outside of Comp USA in east Northport and they told me it had to be 25 dollars to purchase a t-shirt. Obviously I gave them nothing and since then I do not contribute. Now a local soccer team was selling cupcakes outside of Stop and Shop and I did contribute. I am just tired of people asking me for money. If I contributed every time someone approached me I could not meet my bills at the end of the month.
Refer them to the local county executive and school boards who have their coffers brimming full of your tax dollars.

Old 04-28-2012, 03:39 AM

1 posts, read 1,476 times
I grew up selling candy door to door it was the best thing to ever happen to me i went on trips with kids my age and was never in trouble as a teen , i had to stay in school to do it as well but i remember the trips the most, a week of camping ,we played baseball and did many things, then there was disney world,and cedar point,and many more it was a great program for the kids in my area
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island