Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 09:22 PM

1,919 posts, read 7,106,564 times

Advertisements

Anyone know anything about either area? Acre properties, both in Huntington. SR had Harborfields schools and Old Chester Hills had Elwood schools. We loved both areas and we may have found our new neighborhood to focus on when we decide to move.

Gorgeous homes and property. Schools seem good but I have heard about some slight issues with both districts. Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2007, 04:45 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,931,947 times
i "know" a woman that participates in another message board I belong to. She lives in the Salem Ridge section I believe. She recently posted pics of homes that she considered her neighborhood that were listed on MLSLI. She said its a beautiful area, the homes looked lovely.
I don't know anything about the schools.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:23 PM

20 posts, read 102,270 times
Both School Districts are good, Harborfields is rated higher by Newsday and Newsweek. Both nice areas. Old Chester Hills is off of Little Plains which kind of runs into the "ghetto" part of the area. I would go Salem Ridge in a heartbeat. My mom always used to say if you want to know about a town go to the library. The Harborfields library is a beautiful building in a gorgeous area in a cute little town with all kinds of programs for kids and adults. The Elwood library is in a strip mall on Jericho turnpike and has a few magazines.

Old 01-05-2011, 09:44 AM

186 posts, read 713,200 times
I'm amazed at how poor the Elwood library is. It's been relocated a few times (I believe) and doesn't inspire learning. The South Huntington Library is awesome, I could spend hours there.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:06 AM

1,214 posts, read 3,642,340 times
My dad's first cousin, Lou Lazarus, built Salem Ridge. He did a good job. It's a beautiful area, about 5 minutes by car to Huntington Village, you've got the Harborfields SD as other's have pointed out, and actually I have a cousin who lives in Salem Ridge and very close to the middle school.

I'd go there instead of the other neighborhood you're thinking about. Prices may be a little higher, but you know what they say, location, location, location.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM

7,796 posts, read 16,395,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreaII View Post
My dad's first cousin, Lou Lazarus, built Salem Ridge. He did a good job. It's a beautiful area, about 5 minutes by car to Huntington Village, you've got the Harborfields SD as other's have pointed out, and actually I have a cousin who lives in Salem Ridge and very close to the middle school.

I'd go there instead of the other neighborhood you're thinking about. Prices may be a little higher, but you know what they say, location, location, location.

Hmmm, I wonder if I might know your cousin. I live in the area.

Old 01-05-2011, 10:47 AM

22,665 posts, read 36,764,249 times
I would live in Salem Ridge in a heartbeat, that's a gorgeous area, feels secluded but it's really close to both Huntington and Greenlawn.

We looked around Chester Hills a bit when we were looking, but I don't think the two areas are even comparable. I would't put them in the same class. I don't think you would regret buying in Salem Ridge.

Old 02-03-2011, 01:25 PM

3 posts, read 6,858 times
Thumbs up Love Old Chester Hills

I have lived in Old Chester Hills for 7 1/2 years now with my husband and two kids and we've absolutely loved it! Old Chester Hills is a neighborhood in the hamlet of Elwood which is part of the town of Huntington, NY. It is a secluded, picturesque area comprised of rolling hills and large, wooded properties. We have a neighborhood civic association which offers clambakes, cruises, an Easter egg hunt, a Christmas event with horse-drawn sleigh rides and a visit from Santa among other events. [font=Comic Sans MS]Old Chester Hills is located directly northeast of, and adjacent to Berkeley Jackson Park. There are walking trails which wind throughout the undeveloped park, accessible from the neighborhood.

Elwood School District is well respected and comparable to neighboring Harborfields, Northport, Commack and Kings Park school districts, if you check the state test scores. Also, the taxes here are lower than some of the surrounding districts. My kids are getting a great education in Elwood. They are currently in the 6th grade accelerated math program, which I don't believe all schools offer.

Elwood now has a nice-sized library. My kids have taken classes & I know that they have a large variety of classes for children through adults. You get personal attention there, and if they don't have a book, they'll often get it for you by the next day. There are also many other great libraries within the town of Huntington that are accessible to all residents.

Within Elwood, is an ethnically diverse neighborhood (referred to in a previous post), in which many African American and Latino families live. This is a neighborhood of families. One of the reasons we liked this school district was because of the ethnic diversity. It's a great place to raise a family in a safe, close-knit, culturally rich community. I know my family loves living in Old Chester Hills, and we love Elwood. There is a small-town community spirit here. I think you would be hard-pressed to find anyone who lives here who doesn't enjoy living in Elwood.

Old 02-03-2011, 03:12 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,142,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GonPhishn View Post
I'm amazed at how poor the Elwood library is. It's been relocated a few times (I believe) and doesn't inspire learning. The South Huntington Library is awesome, I could spend hours there.
Actually, until recently, Elwood SD didn't have a library - they shared the Harborfields Library on Broadway in Greenlawn. I have a daughter in the Elwood SD who can readily supply me with that SD's information .

I agree, the space on Jericho Tpk may not be spectacular, but they're coming along - they started out further east on Jericho Tpk in what used to be a store front for "Active Windows & Doors". All libraries start somewhere!

Example:
When I first moved to Cold Spring Harbor, in the 80s, the library was this drafty little old house on the corner of 25A and Shore Rd (now houses exhibits for the Society of Preservation). Major charm, with books to the rafters, quite literally , and drafty in the Winter, but they outgrew it and then leased space on Goose Hill Rd in an empty elementary school. School population continued to increase and both the demand for a larger library as well as the end of the lease approached - along with the knowledge that the lease would NOT be renewed because the facility was once again needed by the SD.
That was the beginning of what is now a fabulous library on Harbor Rd, overlooking CSH Harbor.

Yet even when it was this quaint little library nobody thought the CSH SD was lacking...
Just because the Elwood libary is still in its infancy, doesn't mean the SD is lacking, does it?? Just my 2 cents...

As an aside, as a Suffolk resident, you have access to any and all libraries in the County!

Libraries aside, there IS a difference between both Old Chester Hills and Salem Ridge, both in location and residents - best to talk to current residents of both and see for yourself with whom YOU identify more! JMHO

Good luck!

Old 02-03-2011, 03:40 PM

9,341 posts, read 29,672,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
As an aside, as a Suffolk resident, you have access to any and all libraries in the County!
Access to other than your home district library may be limited (i.e., not able to take out DVDs, etc., from a non-district library.)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island