Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2010, 07:02 AM

120 posts, read 215,857 times

Advertisements

I heard about a club where a home owner can join and get the cheapest prices around. does anyone know about this? thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2010, 08:56 AM

414 posts, read 908,982 times
Are you referring to Heat USA? We "belong" to that. If I remember correctly the invite was through DH's union. Not sure we actually get the cheapest price, either! Maybe there are others, not sure.

Old 02-07-2010, 09:12 AM

284 posts, read 983,249 times
COD = the lowest prices , joining a club doesn't mean you will get lower prices . When i was a member at Heat USA i was paying more because you get 24/7 service and a yearly tune-up was included , now i tune it up myself and pay a lot less because i'll pay cash

Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM

well, I thought I could tune it up myself after doing it for so many years with my father on his boiler but when I changed the filter, it ended up clogging the nozzle and I had no clue where it was and it cost me $325 to fix it! my friend told me of a club that finds the cheapest prices around and it it will give you free service/tune up. he said it was something like nypirg but i looked it up and it seems complicated.

Old 02-08-2010, 06:52 AM

465 posts, read 1,704,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLO RIDER View Post
he said it was something like nypirg but i looked it up and it seems complicated.
sounds like you are referring to HeatUSA. I looked into it a couple years ago. meh IMO. can do better.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:31 AM

537 posts, read 1,443,827 times
I have Heat USA. It's not bad. Prices are better than your average market rate lock. I got oil delivered 10 days ago at $2.63 or something like that. Not as cheap as COD.

The benefits of having Heat USA is you get a free service contract, yet there is no contract to sign so you can cancel them whenever you want.

They are a good to have if you are ever on the bubble and not sure how you want to handle your heating service.

Old 02-08-2010, 10:50 AM

19,836 posts, read 20,572,621 times
COD is ok short term, but the only way to make it really cost efficient is to buy it in bulk, which means to maximize the savings you would have to run the tank down to near empty. And being COD, you have to cough up the cash for that delivery right then and there. I used to do COD, and unless I purchased more than 200 gallons it didn't really save me that much. It's like a sliding scale with these companies, the more you buy, the better the deal you get. And no service contract. Your stuff breaks down your're screwed.

What's the catch with Heat USA? They're throwing in a free service contract but you can cancel any time? Gotta be some kind of catch.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:04 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,685,237 times
I had HeatUSA years ago and so did my girlfriend. The savings were not worth the lack of service. Their service contract, although perhaps currently free, has many exclusions. In addition, service in the summer months was sketchy at best. They also contract out their service and the technicians can be of questionable ability.

I finally went to a full-service small oil company. The extra cost was worth the peace of mind.

Old 02-08-2010, 12:51 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,614,836 times
I have COD and several 'go-to' guys in the event I need any type of service. It works well for me, but for someone who doesn't have reliable repair people 'just-in-case' it would negate any savings.

Normally I call around to several different oil companies to price out the delivery. If it takes me all of 10 minutes and I've saved (last week's fill) $12, it's worth my time.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ave1024 View Post
I have Heat USA. It's not bad. Prices are better than your average market rate lock. I got oil delivered 10 days ago at $2.63 or something like that. Not as cheap as COD.

The benefits of having Heat USA is you get a free service contract, yet there is no contract to sign so you can cancel them whenever you want.

They are a good to have if you are ever on the bubble and not sure how you want to handle your heating service.
10 days ago I paid 2.80 for cod. your rate is cheaper than cod.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
View detailed profiles of: