Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 01:20 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Influx of gangs and unsavory people coming in from Queens. Many of the parents who are moving into Nassau and Suffolk are good, hard working people but the kids for some reason are prone to getting involved with the gang and drug problems we now have. I'll be gone in less than 2 years after I retire this year. Sad, it used to be a great place to live.
Have fun finding a place with lower crime because you probably won't.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 01:21 PM

22,190 posts, read 19,462,661 times
Crime hasn't increased on Long Island, in fact it has declined. Heroin arrests are up, but overall crime has decreased.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:45 PM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepejeep View Post
Influx of gangs and unsavory people coming in from Queens. Many of the parents who are moving into Nassau and Suffolk are good, hard working people but the kids for some reason are prone to getting involved with the gang and drug problems we now have. I'll be gone in less than 2 years after I retire this year. Sad, it used to be a great place to live.
I think the worst gangs on LI are not from Queens, but from Central America. These people are hardcore, particularly the ones from El Salvador, where many of the former gangbangers served as child soldiers in the constant internal warfare in that country. A lot of the Queens-type are actually idiotic teenage wannabes pretending to be gansta.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Crime hasn't increased on Long Island, in fact it has declined. Heroin arrests are up, but overall crime has decreased.
The heroin arrest stats for Nassau are not that huge either.

However, with the bad economy and resultant unemployment, I think we can expect more theft unless things actually turn around.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:49 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We certainly can blame Bush, but can we count on the Obama administration to eradicate the poppy fields?
Nope.

Old 02-08-2010, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhBeeHave View Post
We certainly can blame Bush, but can we count on the Obama administration to eradicate the poppy fields?
Even if all the poppy fields were wiped out, there would still be a problem.

There are lots of places out there in "flyover country" with major opiate addiction problems that actually do not have heroin available at all!

They are addicted to what is called "hillbilly heroin" ... synthetic opiates in "legal" pill form (vicodin, oxycontin, etc.).

Old 02-08-2010, 03:17 PM

1,307 posts, read 1,664,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetties View Post
Are there statistics that show 'crime' has actually gone up?
Crime is up according to stats compiled by SCPD and NCPD but over a 5-6 year span only marginally (+3% overall). Just Google "Nassau County crime statistics" to draw your own conclusions.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:20 PM

456 posts, read 1,428,701 times
I blame the influx of illegals. Sorry, but I've noticed that as the number of illegals increased, so did the drug (heroin) and gang problems. Unfortunately, activists defending these people scream racism if you point out the fact that these people have been and continue breaking the law. Sorry, but I don't appreciate finding heroin needles on the corner of my street when I walk my dog.

Old 02-08-2010, 04:24 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
I don't know why I'm even bothering to respond to this....

Crime hasn't increased. There are statistics that show it has DECREASED. Personally, I thought that since we are in a recession the crime rate would have increased a little bit (crime pays!), but surprisingly enough that wasn't the case last year. Of course, most people would rather believe that there is some massive conspiracy afoot and we're being lied to by "the government", crooked cops, politicians, etc....and whether you realize it or not, all of you also apparently believe that Nassau and Suffolk counties are the only places this could possibly happen - because if it were going on anywhere else, by comparison those "fudged" statistics would still be accurate. The raw data is not important, for instance if you have a statistic that says there were "652 burglaries per 100,000 residents" in the Town of Riverhead last year it means absolutely nothing until it falls into some place on a scale. You need to compare these numbers to something else to make any sense of them....so you take a place that we can all agree with some certainty is crime-ridden (like, Detroit for instance) and then some sleepy (usually wealthy) place that is widely accepted as the pinnacle of safety (I dunno, Lloyd Harbor? One of those places....) and then you see where the Town of Riverhead, or your local police precinct, ZIP code, town, whatever falls in between. Now, does anyone really think that if the majority of Nassau and Suffolk municipalities and police precincts are lying about their numbers that Detroit and Lloyd Harbor aren't? Cuz this conspiracy theory only holds any weight if Nassau & Suffolk were the exception to the rule. Does anyone get this? I know it's kind of complicated, but if anyone understood it I wouldn't hear this same dumb crap about fudged numbers or unreported crime continuously for the nearly 3 years I've been a member of this forum.

Besides that whole nonsense, it's absolutely true that there are Latin American gangs and heroin use on Long Island....but I'm really curious how anyone on here knows the intimate workings of these types of things and just how prevalent they are. The newspapers and TV could be making the whole thing up (I'm not saying they are) and you suckers would fall for it. Maybe you might see a piece of graffiti you think is a gang tag, maybe you see a drug deal go down once in awhile, maybe you see a bunch of dingy looking Hispanics lined up outside of Home Depot looking for work, but that doesn't mean you know jack schidtt about what is really going on.....and if you see it in one town, it doesn't mean that the same thing is happening one town over or anywhere else on the island. How many people really have dealings with MS-13 and the heroin game, all over LI, to the point where they can claim to be anywhere close to an authority on the subject? How many people is this effecting on this board? I'm gonna guess zero....maybe one or two. Not saying we shouldn't be concerned about it, but all of this crap seems awfully presumptuous to me for something most of you know as much about as Chinese arithmetic.

There's more and I could go on and on and on but I'll stop. Stuff like this makes me embarrassed to call myself a native son of LI.

Last edited by sean sean sean sean; 02-08-2010 at 05:17 PM..

Old 02-08-2010, 04:39 PM

2,845 posts, read 10,511,090 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
Money.

Money, money, money.

When people don't have money to do whatever it is they need or want to do, they turn to crime to get it.

This goes beyond the current "economic crisis" and right down into the sociological impact of a society built on commerce.

The current economy is just a symptom of the much bigger, worldwide problem, which is that a system built on money, banking, and commerce is not sustainable--not when money can just be printed out of thin air because the government sold "bonds" to the Federal Reserve and the system itself is just a self-perpetuating monolith of debt creation. Artificial scarcity of resources factors into it, too.

Until society is built on resources and technology and not finance, it's only going to get worse. The bank failures are just the very beginning, and as money continues to lose its worth because of debt and inflation, all of the societal problems that go along with poverty--such as crime--are going to get worse, too.

I know some folks here think I'm a left-wing whackadoo, but I'm actually a highly analytical person who is motivated by practicality. When everyone has what he or she needs to survive--not because of "wealth redistribution," but because resources are plentiful and do not have to be bought with worthless "money" earned at a miserable, soul-sucking wage slave job--that's when you'll see crime go down. Watch Zeitgeist: Addendum. Really. They can explain it far better than I ever could on a message board. It's nauseating what the richest 1% of the planet's population have done to the rest of us--and how we let them get away with it.
Eh....one of my left-wing whackadoo friends had me watch that a couple years ago. Between Addendum and the first Zeitgeist chapter, they lost me at "9/11 WUZ AN INSIDE JOB!!, 9/11 WUZ AN INSIDE JOB!!". The Federal Reserve and background on sun-worshiping cultures/early religious texts was interesting from a historic perspective at the very least, but the statement it's trying to make holds as much weight as any other loonie-bin conspiracy theory. They're just trying to tie a bunch of very loosely related occurrences together through whatever vague similarities possible, and building their argument on a mountain of half-truths, assumptions and flat out fabrications. The Addendum section was essentially just a promo video for Communism with a new-age, "green energy" aesthetic. There's nothing you will learn in that video that you can't learn from spending a day with your average Sophomore-year, just-discovered-weed, quasi-intellectual Bob Marley fan.

I hear you can buy a box set of Zeitgeist, Who Killed the Electric Car? and Loose Change as a "College Liberal Essentials Kit" at Trader Joes....make sure to print out your Huffington Post 5% online discount coupon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island