Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 09:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,269,059 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean sean sean sean View Post
It's not every day I get to put a TRUTHER in their place so hard that they're at an utter loss for words. The fact that you're a self-professed writer makes it even sweeter. I'm sorry I'm not being very nice,
First, I don't know or care what you mean by "truther."

Second, I have well over 1,000 bylines to my name. That doesn't make me "self-professed." That makes me a writer.

Third, I doubt you have any regrets about being nasty, or you wouldn't be nasty in the first place--which is why, contrary to your belief that you've put anyone in any kind of place or "at an utter loss for words," I haven't bothered to address your off-topic blatherings. Save them for people who care.

Move along now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-11-2010, 11:30 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,305,769 times
Quote:
Let's not waste any time trying to prove whether crime has or hasn't increased on LI, let's just find something to blame for it! No need for hard evidence, data, scientific research....we've got conjecture, we've got paranoid delusions, we've got deluded, xenophobic a-holes with a finger to point!!
That's good enough for ME, ya ^*##$^%$^#@ commie!!!!

(J/K!!!)

Old 02-11-2010, 11:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottzilla View Post
Illegal aliens are also responsible for all of the airplane noise around JFK.
Thank you for giving me yet another reason to dislike illegal aliens!

I can always count on you, 'zilla!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:39 AM

416 posts, read 698,061 times
Quote:
Like I said, as long as you're telling the truth, I apologize for calling your thread a bunch of BS. In all seriousness, no hard feelings. I'll still be checking it cuz I'm curious to see where it goes, but sitting here going back and forth about this nonsense is not productive for anyone.
I can tell you are a good guy from your posts and from this paragraph. I actually agree with many of your posts. It's evident you do your HW and I do typically enjoy reading your posts and your insight.

That said, your perception of my motives for starting this thread is wrong. We will agree to disagree.

Old 02-11-2010, 11:58 AM

20,048 posts, read 20,855,965 times
In all honesty, the reason crime is up on LI is because I have hung my superhero costume up and retired from crime fighting altogether. Crime had always been kept at bay when I was out at night protecting the hard working and law abiding citizens of LI.

However, like all of us, crimefighting is not recession proof. The cost of constantly developing and building new high tech gadgets has taken a toll on my wallet, as well as the monumental property tax increases on my secret lair. Unfortunately, due to the current economic climate, I have had no choice but to hang up my cape and utility belt once and for all. I apologize to the good citzens for this unfortunate turn of events. You're on your own now.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:10 PM

6,151 posts, read 10,029,147 times
So we all THINK crime is up - although the numbers say differently... and that perception is potentially more reality then the actual reality. Then there's the whole "stats lie" side of things... It's making my head hurt.

Putting aside the numbers (which I haven't honestly taken time to look at), my PERCEPTION is that PETTY crime is up - stuff like burglary, car break-ins, etc. This is supported by several close friends of mine who are cops. Then again, they spend about as much time in bars getting tanked as they do fighting crime so take that "stat" for what it is. Either way, it makes logical sense that those types of crimes would increase in a troubled economy. However, that wouldn't (or shouldn't) be specific to LI at all. That makes sense to go up everywhere.

What is LI specific is the costs for law enforcement... Crime should be continually going down and stay down. The cost to LI homeowners is insane compared to other parts of the country and it better be the safest place to live.

For me personally, I still feel the same about those certain areas to avoid... I don't think that's changed at all.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:40 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Because of the intervention of one of the Long Island Forum members, I have opened this previously closed thread. Please keep it civil, though, guys. Thanks. nancy

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Last edited by nancy thereader; 02-11-2010 at 08:15 PM..

Old 02-25-2010, 01:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,520 times
Just to add a note, the house for sale that I really thought was charming and perfect for me was just recently vandalized and robbed of its PLUMBING! The house is worth much less now that it has been raped, by what I believe is the previous owner because the bank took his house. It is sad this economy sold homes to people who could not afford them or didn't realize taxes were so high on Long Island and lost their property to forclosure. It is more sad that he decided he would take the plumbing as a way of getting revenge. I am seeing a surge in crime on Long Island but I still want to purchase a home there. I was hoping this thread pointed out some places to stay away from. This home was victimized in Hempstead. Any other higher crime areas you would like to point me away from?

Old 02-25-2010, 01:09 PM

16,966 posts, read 34,718,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Looking- Long Island View Post
Just to add a note, the house for sale that I really thought was charming and perfect for me was just recently vandalized and robbed of its PLUMBING! The house is worth much less now that it has been raped, by what I believe is the previous owner because the bank took his house. It is sad this economy sold homes to people who could not afford them or didn't realize taxes were so high on Long Island and lost their property to forclosure. It is more sad that he decided he would take the plumbing as a way of getting revenge. I am seeing a surge in crime on Long Island but I still want to purchase a home there. I was hoping this thread pointed out some places to stay away from. This home was victimized in Hempstead. Any other higher crime areas you would like to point me away from?
Sometimes vacant houses are stripped of their copper pipes by vandals looking to make money on the scrap. My husband has been in the home improvement business for over 35 years. Back when he was first starting out, and working in poorer areas, they saw quite a bit of this sort of theft.

Old 02-25-2010, 01:11 PM

It's a good thing you didn't get the house in Hempstead!!!! This is ground zero for Central American and Mexican gangs and illegal aliens. You would have nothing but grief there.

Here a starter list of some places you might want to stay away from -- high crime and bad school districts -- or, in some cases (Freeport, CI, Brentwood), at least be very particular in the neighborhood you choose:

Hempstead
Freeport
Uniondale
Roosevelt
New Cassel
North Amityville
North Bellport
Wyandanch
Central Islip
Brentwood
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island