Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2010, 02:41 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times

Advertisements

Long Island schools facing Obama junk food ban?

Sooo I'm curious to everyone's thoughts on this. I personally think it's a great idea. No one should be fat, especially children, it's disgusting and most of all it is unhealthy.

There are way too many conveniences in this country today. We are spoiled rotten in America and b/c of it, we have the highest % of obesity rates.

I think this is a great idea. It will teach kids what is healthy and what isn't. A lot of people don't eat right..not b/c they don't want to, but b/c they are misled on what is healthy and what isn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2010, 02:51 PM

3,686 posts, read 8,702,873 times
Oh come on now..do you really believe junk food is the cause of obesity? I guess you advocate government social engineering.

Perhaps if kids got out from their computer and went outside to play they wouldn't have a weight problem.

I bet you secretly eat a lot of junk food. Come on, admit it.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:52 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,620 times
I think people should eat healthier, however I don't think the government should have any hand in what is served or not served in schools or anywhere else.

You see, it starts with the parents. If the parents were responsible in teaching their kids about what is healthy and what is not, that would be passed down to the parents.

Banning is not going to stop the kids from getting fat. They'll just go down to the local 7-11 and get their candy, cupcakes, etc.....

Get the kids off the computer, away from the Wii, away from the playstation and get them outside. Geez, we ran around outside and played when I was a kid. And no, the outside did not come with a joystick or batteries. We made up games with our imagination, we didn't have anyone doing things for us.

Since the parents can't take on responsibility of teaching their kids about what foods are good/bad, they need someone else to do it for them.

Old 02-08-2010, 02:55 PM

12,766 posts, read 18,366,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gpsma View Post
Oh come on now..do you really believe junk food is the cause of obesity? I guess you advocate government social engineering.

Perhaps if kids got out from their computer and went outside to play they wouldn't have a weight problem.

I bet you secretly eat a lot of junk food. Come on, admit it.
Considering I'm less than 100lbs and have a bodyfat % of 18...I'm going to tell you, no I don't.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:01 PM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post

Get the kids off the computer, away from the Wii, away from the playstation and get them outside. Geez, we ran around outside and played when I was a kid. And no, the outside did not come with a joystick or batteries. We made up games with our imagination, we didn't have anyone doing things for us.
Mwwahh, when i wuz your age, mwwwah, I walked to school both ways uphill,m with shoes made of cardboard, and we liked it, we LOVED IT, we couldn't get enough of it.

I don't think the government should be regulating what you eat apart from making sure you are safe from greedy corporate slime feeding you poison.

I eat like a slob but I don't gain weight because I work out, run, and engage in sporting type activities at least twice per week, and I avoid sugar drinks.

I'd be quite the physical specimen if I could stay away from the snack machine around 3 o'clock, but alas, my love handles aren't going anywhere.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:10 PM

5,439 posts, read 16,855,804 times
Children who buy lunch, buy what you sell them, because they have no other choice. We should be selling them HEALTHY WHOLESOME FOOD. I think it is a fine idea. Do you have any idea what they offer as lunch in even the wealthiest public schools?

Old 02-08-2010, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Considering I'm less than 100lbs and have a bodyfat % of 18...I'm going to tell you, no I don't.
They have help for anorexia.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:14 PM

4,697 posts, read 8,755,638 times
not sure what this has to do with LI...but I'll play along: school lunches should be as healthy as possible...and it has nothing to do with today's lazy kids or whatever. It's simply the right thing to do. It's unrealistic to expect immature children to be able to excercise moderation in their diets.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe moving View Post
Children who buy lunch, buy what you sell them, because they have no other choice. We should be selling them HEALTHY WHOLESOME FOOD. I think it is a fine idea. Do you have any idea what they offer as lunch in even the wealthiest public schools?
Nothing unwholesome about McDonalds..they even serve it on our naval ships..don't see many fat sailors do you?

Eat what you like, eat what you want..don't buy into the organic wholesome nonsense.

Old 02-08-2010, 03:21 PM

310 posts, read 777,426 times
Why don't we just ban Obama. I'm tired of the government "helping" us with their laws. Just fix the roads and stay out of everyone elses business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island