Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-10-2010, 12:37 PM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,131 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by newyawka View Post
I was on the road and, at first, saw no cars. Then I saw a lot of cars. Seemed everyone got the same idea when the snow stopped. I was one of the slowest moving vehicles and there were many going too fast. Surprinsingly, there was only one accident. I spent hours shoveling because I have a neighbor who just throws snow everywhere saying , "we're getting 18 inches anyway!" So I reshovel that snow that's been 'shared' with me. Good thing I l o v e the feel of the cool snow failling softly on me to slightly cool me off while I'm shoveling.
I hate to shovel (period)
I would probably shovel in a heated room indoors.... wait what am I saying... lol.

I always try to be logical, keep telling myself.... "you don't have to do it all at once.... just a few feet at a time, catch a breather, then continue" .... but once outside I eventually end up doing the whole thing at one shot (stupid) and come inside and complain how my back hurts !!

By the way, your neighbor is mean. Just make your dog crap on his lawn in the summers and tell him that you will be getting some more anyway....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2010, 01:18 PM

294 posts, read 878,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thebobs View Post
Let me guess, we are not expected to survive.

Did you run out and get your milk, bread, eggs and snow shovels?
My only run yesterday was to the liquor store, where I acquired a nice bottle of Chardonnay

Old 02-10-2010, 01:44 PM

9,933 posts, read 23,140,325 times
Can't put it off any longer
While it's still light out, I better get started; have a looooong driveway with pebbles... you can't push, you have to be careful when using the shovel, so the pebbles don't end up on the lawn, etc., etc. Somehow never owned a house with blacktop driveway

Oh well, if I don't do some of it now, it'll be near impossible in the morning

Old 02-10-2010, 02:12 PM

414 posts, read 910,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elke Mariotti View Post
Can't put it off any longer
While it's still light out, I better get started; have a looooong driveway with pebbles... you can't push, you have to be careful when using the shovel, so the pebbles don't end up on the lawn, etc., etc. Somehow never owned a house with blacktop driveway

Oh well, if I don't do some of it now, it'll be near impossible in the morning
Ugh...I sympathize with the pebble driveway. We had that and I found that the walkway and driveway always had a layer of ice since you couldn't shovel all the way down. Finally got it blacktopped and what a difference! And now we (he) can use a snow-blower!!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:34 AM

16,408 posts, read 33,290,425 times
No shoveling snow for ME in decades ... since I was child captive labor to my parents! HAHAHA!

Old 02-11-2010, 11:51 AM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
From the number one complainer on this forum...

One thing that really annoys me about snowstorms is when the neighbor with the more than adequate driveway insists on leaving the cars parked on the street, especially to my left side. When the plow comes down the street they cannot cut in close to the curb and therefore piling up 3 to 4 feet of snow at my driveway apron. Heavy, dirty, soaken wet snow, that even the largest truck or suv would have trouble driving over. It's the absolute worst part of the job, because even a snowblower is powerless against this white monstrous mess.

Me, being the spiteful wiseass that I am, even though it completely cripples me for days, moves every last bit of snow from the sidewalk and driveway apron to this nether region in front of my house and the neighbors car, thus making it totally impossible for anyone to park near or directly in the front of my house for days.
So there. Take that "Mr. noncourtious park on the street during a snowstorm"

Old 02-11-2010, 12:18 PM

4,533 posts, read 8,337,008 times
After the cars on the street are dug out, take a good look at them. A lot of times I see huge scrapes along the entire sides of them where the plow hit them.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:05 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,262,835 times
And look, half of it has melted already, at least off my car and parking lot.

Old 02-11-2010, 01:30 PM

20,019 posts, read 20,822,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avienne View Post
And look, half of it has melted already, at least off my car and parking lot.
Yeah me too. You could eat off my driveway and sidewalk right now.
I pre-treat everything with salt before a big storm, and then every few hours go out and give a quick shoveling, it just makes it so much easier the next day. Much easier to shovel 2 or 3 inches every few hours than to dig out a foot or more in one shot. The pre-salting works awesome though, really makes a difference. It all comes right up with an easy slide of the shovel, no scraping or chopping.

Old 02-11-2010, 02:29 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,320,206 times
Did anyone catch this?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrrfeGlxFeA

Rosanna got beamed in the head lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island