Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-09-2010, 07:25 PM

311 posts, read 1,019,301 times

Advertisements

How is the neighborhood south of the LIE in Ronkonkoma, Connetquot Schools....Johnson Ave area?

Househunting...thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2010, 10:01 PM

7,658 posts, read 19,166,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post
How is the neighborhood south of the LIE in Ronkonkoma, Connetquot Schools....Johnson Ave area?

Househunting...thanks!

Hmmm.

Now or in 10 years?
Look North or South but Id stay clear of anything near there.
I dont think the years will be kind if Medford Famingville, CI and Brentwood are any indication.

JMHO.

Crooks

Old 02-10-2010, 05:29 AM

2,666 posts, read 7,333,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucew View Post

Househunting...thanks!
The areas you are looking for are nice family oriented with decent schools.
Areas between the expressway and Johnson's ave is a bit old and probably looks the same way as the areas north of the expressway that are south of motor pkwy. South of Johnson avenue is very nice, lots of kids in the neighborhoods.
Steer away from living very close to Connetquot park, the racoons will get ya. The only issue is getting to a major highway.... you have to drive 2-3 minutes just to get to vets and then you are in the middle of nowhere, It will take you a good 10 mins to get to LIE or 27 from there.
I looked at houses over there, they are nice and excellent value for your $$$$.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:04 AM

13,510 posts, read 17,028,088 times
Somewhere between 5 and 10 minutes to get to the LIE.

The area borders on CI, that's why it's less expensive. Once you go across Vets you are in Central America. Stop by that Walmart on Vets sometime..if you dare. It feels like you are in the Bronx, not Long Island.

The 7'11 over there was held up by 3 guys wearing masks with shotguns a few years back, but I guess that happens to all convenience stores at some time.

so that aside, you're in Connetquot schools and the lots over there tend to be larger than average. I noticed one particularly interesting house in that area a few weeks back.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:37 AM

20,024 posts, read 20,826,797 times
I've seen many homes with vehicles parked on the front lawns over in that neck of the woods. Still appears to be a nice well kept area though. Other than the vehicular lawn ornaments.

Old 02-13-2010, 12:29 AM

96 posts, read 433,469 times
Default still a great area

I lived up until October in this area for thirty years and it is a great area. Granted it has become somewhat more racially diverse in the last ten years it is still a great area, has good schools, and very little crime.More than half of this area have 1/2 acre or larger properties. Most of the homes were built in the 60-80;s but most have been updated. People have pride of ownership and I never saw car lawn ornaments. What's with people trying to put down perfectly nice area's. Walmart is not in Ronkonkoma but yes, it is racially diverse. I seriously doubt that the crime rate in the parking lot is any higher than at the smithhaven mall in Lake Grove. Good luck and don't listen to a lot of the replies you get as they are just not true!

Old 02-13-2010, 10:57 AM

2,845 posts, read 10,507,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
I've seen many homes with vehicles parked on the front lawns over in that neck of the woods. Still appears to be a nice well kept area though. Other than the vehicular lawn ornaments.
I heard you get a property tax discount in Suffolk for keeping a broken down old Camaro on your lawn. Any truth to this?

j/k obviously

Old 02-13-2010, 10:43 PM

2,940 posts, read 8,319,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotkarl View Post
Probably Flophouses. Those vehicles had out of state plates??

Old 04-03-2010, 07:47 AM

13 posts, read 50,465 times
I live right in the are you are looking at South of LIE off exit 59. I have been living here for the past 2 years, moved from Patchogue. I love the schools my 10 year old and 13 year old are in. It is close to LIE, Vets Hwy, Sunrise Hwy. It has many stores nearby. Many nice parks and places to take kids too. Much different than Patchogue in my opinion. Oh, for whoever mentioned Walmart. Walmart is close, but it is not located in Ronkonkoma. I love having a Walmart so close by and for you to compare it to shopping as shopping in the Bronx. Sorry i don't agree with you at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > New York > Long Island